Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tournament Tau Mech 1500pts
Closed Thread
Old 03 May 2006, 16:02   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Tournament Tau Mech 1500pts

Hello all,
Played with a good few of the new toys and options now with the new codex as have a lot of my other fellow gamers, some of the toys do appeal but Just don't seem to link to the mech theme that I was after I.e D'yi Broadsides, Markerlights etc.
Despite the 'Gunship' Fishes being non scoring I've found them to be very tricky but very rewarding and with the extra SMS shots/BS4 for FOF they've done me proud so far.
The Fireknifes are a bit of a no-brainer really In my view there the best set-up by far due to the lack of medium ST weaponry Tau suffer (also the AP2).
Anyhow I'd love some feedback on the list good or bad as I'd like to take them along to this years GT heats and let rip with some mech Tau lovin
Any Ideas?
Thanks In advance,
Angels Wing

TAU 1500pts

HQ
Shas'el
Plasma Rifle
Missile Pods
Multi-Tracker
Targetting Array
(97)

HQ
Shas'el
Plasma rifle
Missile Pods
Multi-Tracker
Targetting Array
(97)

TROOPS
10 x Fire Warriors
Devilfish
SMS
Multi-Tracker
Targetting Array
Decoy
(220pts)

TROOPS
10 x Fire Warriors
Devilfish
SMS
Multi-Tracker
Targetting Array
Decoy
(220pts)

ELITES
2 x Crisis Suit
Plasma rifle
Missile Pod
Multi-Tracker
(124pts)

ELITES
2 x Crisis Suit
Plasma rifle
Missile Pod
Multi-Tracker
(124pts)

ELITES
1 x Crisis Suit
Plasma rifle
Missile Pod
Multi-Tracker
(62)

HEAVY SUPPORT
Hammerhead
Rail Gun
Smart Missile System
Multi-Tracker
Decoy Launchers
Disruption Pods
Target Lock
(185pts)

HEAVY SUPPORT
Hammerhead
Rail Gun
Smart Missile System
Multi-Tracker
Decoy Launchers
Disruption Pods
Target Lock
(185pts)

HEAVY SUPPORT
Hammerhead
Rail Gun
Smart Missile System
Multi-Tracker
Decoy Launchers
Disruption Pods
Target Lock
(185pts)

(1499)
Old 03 May 2006, 18:14   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Tournament Tau Mech 1500pts

wow nice list, if only i could afford that many models. i think you might be lacking a bit of infantry killing if you were to face a big horde army like nids or orks. no worries about armor though, you'll tear em limb from limb.
Old 03 May 2006, 20:45   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Your list is quite clean and tidy for what it is. I see you really like Crisis suits though. There really isn't anything bad to say about any unit your have taken. You have kitted each one out conservatively, and that's not bad. You have kept off unnecesary wargear for the most part.

I can offer a few comments about your army as a whole while making specific suggestions about a few minor unit changes. The offered ideas are relatively few. I can see that since you appear to like crisis a lot, you might think, why not take more? I count a total of 7. my way is not best, but I tend to take 3-4 crisis suits in 1500 points. That being said, take what makes you happy. I would suggest that by dropping the second shas'el and 1-2 other crisis suits, you could have room for pathfiders or stealth suits. Yes, I really like markerlight options.

The only significant wargear comment I have is about your hammerheads. They look good oveall. You could shave 5 points of each by eliminating the disruption pods. Most armies have a weapon or two with decent range that makes the disruption pod extraneous. It really is only effective at longer rnages, and I use my HHs for screening at times.

Lastly about the hammerheads. You have three railguns. Very potent. Have you ever considered using one Ionhead to run with the two Railheads? That makes a pretty nice combo and saves 35 points. A little more versatility.

Oh, the targetting array on the DF. At first I was going to say that a lot of points for the DF, but wanting the SMS to hit more makes it a decent option.

Anyway, a good basic list that is very straighforward. No surprises, but it doesn't need any.

FiveRings
Old 04 May 2006, 01:26   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

I agree with FiveRings about the IonHead replacement to one of your hammerheads. I would also point out that with the replacement of the Railhead with the Ionhead, the removal of the Disruption Pods, and the removal of the lone crisis suit, you can nearly buy 4 stealth teams. (need 9 points) This would give you greater flexibility for a Tournament army. Not to mention greater light infantry killing power, for that seems to be the largest hole in your army. (not that large btw)
Old 02 Jun 2006, 12:12   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Yet again a few more refinements, I really should playtest more before I buy all these new models!
Basically thinking of ditching one of the fish, despite the fun I've had with them trying to manuever 5 skimmers about Is a pain especially for the somewhat fragile non-scoring fish.
I still refuse to go with the min 6 FW as I still like the gunship set-up but what I've done Is maxed the squad with the leader to enble them to set-up on ground If needed which Is something I've avoided so far due to the LD7/10 model format.
With the points leftover the almighty space chickens have come Into play, pretty obvious what they'll be for (pushback/annoyance) but not so sure on model or possible paint scheme, also the stealths make a re-apearance for the added ST5 that that the extra fish provided.
Probably more competetive now with added scoring potential while providing a more varied force, so hopefully even more fun
All comments welcome,
Thanks

HQ
Shas'el
Plasma Rifle
Missile Pods
Multi-Tracker
Targetting Array
(97)

HQ
Shas'el
Plasma rifle
Missile Pods
Multi-Tracker
Targetting Array
(97)

TROOPS
12 x Fire Warriors + Shas'ui
Devilfish
SMS
Multi-Tracker
Targetting Array
Decoy Launchers
(250pts)

TROOPS
10 x Kroot
(70pts)

ELITES
2 x Crisis Suit
Plasma rifle
Missile Pod
Multi-Tracker
2 x Shield Drones
(159pts)

ELITES
2 x Crisis Suit
Plasma rifle
Missile Pod
Multi-Tracker
2 x Shield Drones
(159pts)

ELITES
4 x Stealth Suits
(120pts)

HEAVY SUPPORT
Hammerhead
Rail Gun
Smart Missile System
Multitracker
Decoy Launchers
Target Lock
(180pts)

HEAVY SUPPORT
Hammerhead
Rail Gun
Smart Missile System
Multitracker
Decoy Launchers
Target Lock
(180pts)

HEAVY SUPPORT
Hammerhead
Rail Gun
Smart Missile System
Multitracker
Decoy Launchers
Target Lock
(180pts)
Old 02 Jun 2006, 15:33   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

The second one is much better. SD's on the XV8's and Kroot are a necessity in any seriously competative environment.

For some more insight into these style lists, read a few posts down in this thread.
"i like to think of playing against my list as being like punching jelly. you put all your effort in but it just moves out of the way and you cause no damage. then your arm is covered in jelly. and the chicks come out and start wrestling in the jelly, and i drink a beer with stone cold steve austin, and we watch the chicks jelly wrestling, and then the slap-bass funk starts wakka chakka wakka wakka woh" -- Spooky, describing Mech Tau

"You can of course make a list that attempts to work via fragility and easy VP donation and Pathfinders fit into that just fine." -- kai
Old 06 Jun 2006, 14:41   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Sephiroth_knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angels Wing
Hello all,
Played with a good few of the new toys and options now with the new codex as have a lot of my other fellow gamers, some of the toys do appeal but Just don't seem to link to the mech theme that I was after I.e D'yi Broadsides, Markerlights etc.
Despite the 'Gunship' Fishes being non scoring I've found them to be very tricky but very rewarding and with the extra SMS shots/BS4 for FOF they've done me proud so far.
The Fireknifes are a bit of a no-brainer really In my view there the best set-up by far due to the lack of medium ST weaponry Tau suffer (also the AP2).
Anyhow I'd love some feedback on the list good or bad as I'd like to take them along to this years GT heats and let rip with some mech Tau lovin
Any Ideas?
Thanks In advance,
Angels Wing

TAU 1500pts

HQ
Shas'el
Plasma Rifle
Missile Pods
[glow=red,2,300][/glow]Multi-Tracker Needs to be Hardwire
Targetting Array
(97)

HQ
Shas'el
Plasma rifle
Missile Pods
Multi-Tracker Same with this
Targetting Array
(97)

TROOPS
10 x Fire Warriors
Devilfish
SMS
Multi-Tracker
Targetting Array
Decoy
(220pts)

TROOPS
10 x Fire Warriors
Devilfish
SMS
Multi-Tracker
Targetting Array
Decoy
(220pts)

ELITES
2 x Crisis Suit
Plasma rifle
Missile Pod
Multi-Tracker
(124pts)

ELITES
2 x Crisis Suit
Plasma rifle
Missile Pod
Multi-Tracker
(124pts)

ELITES
1 x Crisis Suit
Plasma rifle
Missile Pod
Multi-Tracker
(62)

HEAVY SUPPORT
Hammerhead
Rail Gun
Smart Missile System
Multi-Tracker
Decoy Launchers
Disruption Pods
Target Lock
(185pts)

HEAVY SUPPORT
Hammerhead
Rail Gun
Smart Missile System
Multi-Tracker
Decoy Launchers
Disruption Pods
Target Lock
(185pts)

HEAVY SUPPORT
Hammerhead
Rail Gun
Smart Missile System
Multi-Tracker
Decoy Launchers
Disruption Pods
Target Lock
(185pts)

(1499)

I find that hammerheads are pointless
Old 06 Jun 2006, 15:44   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

You find a S*AP* "*"range weapon with an option for a large, nonscattering blast template mounted on a very surviveable skimmer that can only be glanced to be useless? That's your call, I suppose. Other than that, I like the armies. Either One I would use, but I personally like the first one, just because I like tanks. >