Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

So long Mech Tau....
Closed Thread
Old 02 May 2006, 18:38   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default So long Mech Tau....

This is list an experiment. I'm switching from totally mounted/mobile cadre to hybrid by using this list. How do people think it'll do?

Shas弾l w/ plasma rifle, fusion blaster, multi-tracker

3 Stealth Suits w/ burst cannons, drone controllers, 5 Gun Drones

1 Battle suit w/ twin linked missile pods, flamer

10 Firewarriors w/ 8 Pulse rifles, 2 Pulse carbines, shas置i w/ bonding knife
Devil Fish w/ burst cannon, smart missile system, targeting array multi tracker, decoy launchers

6 Firewarriors w/ 5 pulse rifles, 1 pulse carbine, shas置i w/ marker light, target lock, bonding knife

6 Firewarriors w/ 5 pulse rifles, 1 pulse carbine, shas置i w/ marker light, target lock, bonding knife

13 Kroot w/kroot rifles, shaper

Pirhana w/ 2 gun drones, fusion blaster, targeting array

Hammerhead w/ targeting array, ion cannon, 2 burst cannons, multi tracker, decoy launchers

Total: 1001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Gah! Not a silly Canadian. Can't Falstead ever be wrong?!?!? ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe (Autarch Kiardras)
My god.... the sarcasm there nearly shorted out my computer screen Nice.
Old 03 May 2006, 21:52   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: So long Mech Tau....

Interesting list. No sarcasm intended. You are trying a few options that I am curious about, most specifically, the 3 stealth/5 drone combo. I suspect you have the numbers this way due to fitting it all in for the points, and the drones are to try for pinning. In theory three gun drone hit slightly better than 1 stealth for the same cost when used as wargear. I think that is worth a try because the drones get stealth and offer a chance to pin.

I like the simple TLMP suit. I see you went the way of the flamer while I lean towards the target array. Mine costs more though.

I see more people using the SMS and target array on the devilfish. I used to wish for this option and like it as an option. Now that I can do it I find I have a hard time justifying the points. Makes ofr a lot of shots from the DF though, and that's nice. I am using the FoF more now and find the drones are slightly better for me to prevent assault. Just two different ways.

Do you really need the shaper for the Kroot? I love shapers, but that extra 21 points is a killer.

I love your Ionhead. Very clean. Adding a target lock is nice of you have the points. I target different units every game with my ionhead. It has paid off every time.

Putting MLs in FW squads is one way to get MLs without pathfinders. Not as efficient, but still useful, but expensive. I cannot give a strong opinion here. worht a try. I now remember what I was thinking. Bonding is a cheaper option now and is a good idea to consider. When it comes to point crunching though, it is the first to go. You have the shas'ui which is useful for improved leadership and wargear options. In the small squads of 6, you'd have to lose 4 before you'd be below half strength. is the 5 points worth it. Maybe. Some think that bonding is more important to a mounted FW squad. I think it is less important. You'd only have to test when dismounted and if you suffered appropriate losses. The idea is to get them in and out quickly. There are usualy less times that a test would be needed. at least in my experience.

I think in this fairly small list. I am most concerned about the piranha. I probably shouldn't be. it is fast and can get from cover to cover. Has decent armor for a small skimmer. I tend toward some changes slowly.

Overall I think your list can do well enough. I doubt you'll miss heavier weapons much in 1000 points. You have fusion and Ions. Good luck with it.

FiveRings
Old 03 May 2006, 23:58   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Looking at your list, the Devilfish has two weapon systems, and I believe you can only take one. You have listed the SMS and the burst cannon. Unless I am missing something terribly blatant (has happend quite often) I do not think that you can do that.

In addition, I would probably just kill the shas'ui upgrade on the mounted FW. However, If you removed the SMS from the Devilfish, you can just add two FW to that team.
Old 04 May 2006, 00:08   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Actually I think you can take both. The DF comes with the BC. The SMS replaces the gun drones, but maybe I am wrong. I don't have the codex in front of me to check.

FiveRings
Old 04 May 2006, 01:18   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

If the SMS replaces the BC, then I have been gimping myself. Not too uncommon I might add. But as I am at work, I cannot check. If this is the case, then I humbly retract my statement.
Old 04 May 2006, 01:21   #6 (permalink)
lonely tau

Fiverings is actually quite right. the SMS replaces the gun drones i have my Codex here hahaha

Old 05 May 2006, 21:37   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Hey guys,

I tried this list out last night with a few tweaks and I was very happy with it.

My Shas'el as usual managed to miss with almost every shot (despite having a targeting array) and the one shot that did hit rolled a "1" to wound.

Everything else worked great though!

I love the Twin-missile pod/flamer suit because its very cheap and super effective. I never play a game without it! (Plus I've converted mine up quite nicely )

However the best unit in my whole army was the Ionhead.

It is one of the most effective tanks i've ever used. I can't stress enough how great this thing is, especially for it's point cost. I'm looking forward to getting it painted so I can use it at my local GW instead of playing games in my basement.

EDIT!

So I've finalized this list now (I think) here's the good version! Can't wait to try it out.

Shas弾l w/ plasma rifle, fusion blaster, multi-tracker

4 Stealth suits w/ team leader, bonding knife, 2 gun drones

Crisis suit w/ twin-linked missile pods, flamer

10 Fire warriors w/ shas置i, bonding knife
Devilfish w/ smart missile system, multi tracker, decoy launchers, targeting array

6 Fire warriors w/ shas置i, markerlight, target lock \

6 Fire warriors w/ shas置i, markerlight, target lock \

13 Kroot w/ Shaper

Piranha w/ fusion blaster, targeting array

Hammerhead, ion cannon, 2 burst cannons, decoy launchers, multi tracker

Total: 1001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Gah! Not a silly Canadian. Can't Falstead ever be wrong?!?!? ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe (Autarch Kiardras)
My god.... the sarcasm there nearly shorted out my computer screen Nice.
Old 06 May 2006, 00:48   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Glad to hear it works well. I see no glaring problems and your success indicates you used it well. Yes, I like it. Good job.

FiveRings
Closed Thread