Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

I am playing against 850 points of chaos Friday......
Closed Thread
Old 26 Apr 2006, 21:27   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to comanchieflier
Default I am playing against 850 points of chaos Friday......

I need help with an army list, MalVeauX, if your around, help me! Anyone else, Here is my list
55 fire warriors
6 stealth suits
6 battle suits
1 commander
1 devilfish
3 hammerheads
7 broadsides
1 marker drone
6 vespids
3 sniper drones 1 spotter
1 shield drone
2 ethreals
20 gun drones
16 Kroot Carnivores

Her play khorne, and will be using bikes and 1+ rhino.
Quote:
Originally Posted by freezing
comanchieflier recieves a mobile phone that can only do "leet speak" messages.
Old 26 Apr 2006, 21:33   #2 (permalink)
lonely tau

Default Re: I am playing against 850 points of chaos Friday......

i would take the sniper drones, a broadside, and then a commander (required) then take the rest of the points with fire warriors w/photon grenades (1 less attack for charging could save you) that is what i would suggest, the broadside would be for a lord and vehicles. the sniper drones would be for popping the Khorne Berzerkers and the commander (hopefully with CIB and Fusion) will be close up and smacking them around while jumping out of sight.

Old 26 Apr 2006, 21:39   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

its usually better to make a list so we can revise it for you...
Old 26 Apr 2006, 21:43   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

You must have:

Commander - best with TL Plasma in this situation, probably.

Fire Warriors - Mounting a team in a Devilfish can mean that the Khornates are forced to chase the 'Fish around the table all day, incapable of damaging it or anything else.

Beyond that:

Sniper Drones - MEQbusting at it's finest.
Hammerhead - With Ion and BC's, it can be a cheap and deady vehicle against Marines and light transports.

Old 26 Apr 2006, 22:06   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Okay, my list as I see fit so far.
Shas'o Plasma rifle, fusion blaster, Multi Tracker 112
12 FW 1 shasui bonding knife 130
12 FW 1 shasui 130
2 Railheads SMS Multitracker decoy launchers 330
1 Ionhead SMS Multitracker 135

Quote:
Old 26 Apr 2006, 22:33   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Quote:
Originally Posted by comanchieflier
I need help with an army list
Her play khorne, and will be using bikes and 1+ rhino.
Well, you've got two real options:

1 - Sit and shoot and pray that you aren't caught in combat (not good).
2 - Mount up and pound him with high strength attacks and avoid assault (much better).

I assume you want to beat him, since you're posting for list help, so I'll focus on that.

Basically, if you're looking at fighting Khrone in 850 points, and he has Bikes & a Rhino or more, you've got one thing to think about: Stopping the speed.

So, what to expect:

@ 850 points, with Bikes & rhino mounted berserkers, you can expect easily 600+ points to be dropped right there. Leaving only enough room for a mild HQ or a heavy support vehicle. So you will not have a lot of models to really worry about.

Notes to remember:

1 - Full squads of units will not have feel no pain. Only characters get feel no pain. So if you kill a berserker, he's gone for the count. So Ap3/2 is going to kill his models, just like normal marines.

2 - Khorne isn't a big shooting force. The only guns you'll see at range come from heavy support (tanks).

3 - Khorne HQs are point sinks unless equipped cheaply and efficiently. Don't focus on them though. But they can take some serious punishment depending on upgrades. Don't focus again; focus on his troops and bikes. Kill the scoring units.

4 - Khorne on foot can move fast sometimes, so you may want to avoid being static.

5 - Bikes will make a waste of your plasma. Hit bikes with higher strength weapons, just a lot more of them, like missile pods.

6 - A single S10 wound against a statured daemon prince will insta kill it if he doesn't have a rune and fails his invulnerable save (feel no pain will not apply to S10). It will be wasted against a Greater Daemon on the other hand, who cannot be instakilled and has a 4+ inv. save).

Order of fire:

A - Focus your Ioncannons/SMS on his rhinos. You must stop them. If you destroy them, the contents are going to be pinned for a turn. If you stun them, they will not move next turn. Either way, you shut down those rhinos.

B - Focus all missile pods his Bikes; Focus any spare guns on bikes. They must be taken down. Typically, bikes carry an icon and will unleash daemons on you, or worse, a Greater Daemon will be summoned. If you kill the host if he has one, the Daemon will automatically be summoned and be instable. That's far better than having it assault you on their turn perfectl healthy. So stop those bikes fast and find out if he has a daemon. If he does, you're going to need to move very, very fast.

C - Kill berserkers easy with Ion cannons after the above is completed.

List time:

Example I

HQ1 - Shas'el; Missile Pods; Plasma Rifle; MT
Elite1 - XV8; Twin-linked Missile Pods; Black Sun Filter
Elite2 - XV8; Twin-linked Missile Pods; Black Sun Filter
Elite2 - XV8; Twin-linked Missile Pods; Black Sun Filter
Troop1 - FW's x 8; Warfish (if possible); SMS, MT, DL, TA
Troop2 - FW's x 6; Shas'ui
Troop3 - FW's x 6; Shas'ui
Heavy3 - Hammerhead; IonCannon; SMS; MT; DL
Heavy3 - Hammerhead; IonCannon; SMS; MT; DL; Black Sun Filter

Application: If you get first turn, simply kill the bikes with the ion cannons. Use missile pods to bust the rhinos right away. If you do that, the game is yours. If you get 2nd turn, use FW's if you can, to stun the rhino. You only need to stun them to stop them; make sure they cannot move next turn. Keep hitting them until you get that result, or immobilized, or destroyed. If you must, help them with missile pods. Otherwise, turn missile pods on Bikes and force saves fast. Supplement either/or with Ion & SMS depending on which target your on. Just stop him cold from moving fast. If you do that, your ions will rip through anything else he has on foot. And you can use your suits to run away as well as your fish to run away to ensure some scoring units later since you'll be moving faster than he can.

Example II

HQ1 - Shas'el; Missile Pod; Burst Cannon; MT
Elite1 - XV8; Twinlinked Missile Pod; Black Sun Filter
Elite2 - XV8; Twinlinked Missile Pod; Black Sun Filter
Troop1 - FW x 8; Devilfish; Mulit-tracker; Decoy Launcher
Troop2 - FW x 6
Troop3 - FW x 6
Fast1 - Vespid x 6
Heavy1 - Hammerhead; Ioncannon; SMS; MT; DL
Heavy2 - Hammerhead; Ioncannon; SMS; MT; DL; Black Sun Filter

Application: Same as before, except this time, you're using Vespid to generate better wounds than plasma would for the price. They, combined with Ions, will finish off any berserkers, after you've stopped rhinos & bikes. This time though, use the firewarriors to help generate saves on bikes. Use the missiles early to crack the rhinos. And use the ions to help punish bikes if possible. Hold vespid back though so that you don't lose them to a weak bolt pistol or something.

--- Granted, you could work in an XV88 for prince removal, or help out by glancing a rhino right away without effort, but I generally would avoid putting something that expensive with an assaultable body where that 2+ save will be negated too easily on the board. You can probably get by just slowing him to a crawl and then picking him off with failed saves. The point is to keep your power and range, while moving away from him. If you stand your ground and try to rapidfire, you'll end up in combat and a single berserker or two will eat through most of your infantry on foot. So pick 'em up off the ground and just move away, shoot, move away.

--- If he's the type to pack a very nasty chaos Lord/Lt. with fast movement (ie: bike, or daemonic speed), then you want to explore the use of a railgun simply for the ease of instakilling him. If he normally takes stature, the single railgun will wreck him in one wound. If he's nonsttaure, a fusion blaster will have the same effect. You really want to keep him off your suits though. So I'll leave it to you, to know if he will bring something like that to a 850 point game. If he is, gundrones and kroot can help form assault fences.

Good luck to you!

Cheers!
Old 26 Apr 2006, 23:18   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Wont be needing BSF, we never play missions (which is sad) straight up killing, also, he will most likely have a dreadnaught.
Quote:
Old 26 Apr 2006, 23:26   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Quote:
Originally Posted by comanchieflier
Wont be needing BSF, we never play missions (which is sad) straight up killing, also, he will most likely have a dreadnaught.
So he's going to fit rhinos, dreadnought and bikes into an army list of 850 points. That's easily leaving him only an HQ left to take up points, and it's not a lot. If he indeed plays that list, a few missile pods will ruin his day. If you feel more safe with a railgun, then go for it. Otherwise, you may not need it for lower armor like that. One thing for sure though: don't field firewarriors on the ground in large squad sizes. That's a waste if you're assaulted. Focus on several smaller squads that are spread out. You lose less to assaults that way and can shoot at things when they resolve.

Anyhow, even when just killing him, all you have to do is deny him speed & range. The armor he will field is easily busted by your guns, so you should be fine. The hard part is just killing his bikes in the end.

Cheers!
Old 26 Apr 2006, 23:47   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Thanks, your a great help.
Quote:
Old 26 Apr 2006, 23:53   #10 (permalink)
lonely tau

here is something to remember for the lord, Feel no pain doesnt work on insta kill attacks. so that means if you hit him with a railgun he probably wont get back up. (ive had those khorney punks say against that and then...it wasnt pretty)

Closed Thread