Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

This my new list for the tau codex coming out.
Closed Thread
Old 13 Feb 2006, 07:08   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default This my new list for the tau codex coming out.

I call it a good list to show of the differant races in the army.

3 broadsides a.s.s., bd, teamld, sms, dc, 2 shield drones 310
3 broadsides a.s.s., bd, teamld, sms, dc, 2 shield drones 310
3 teams of sniper drones 210
12 firewarriors marker drone, bd, shas ui, 165
12 humans/ human ldr 2 plr 88
10 kroot/10 kroot hounds 130
10 kroot/10 kroot hounds 130
6 stealth suits/12 drones bd 305
1 O'Saserra 175
11 STING WINGS 182
Old 13 Feb 2006, 15:35   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: This my new list for the tau codex coming out.

Hi,

The army is ok, nothing leaps out to me as bad.

Your firepower against vehicles is fine (if not excessive), but I would like to see target lock on the broadside team leaderd (IIRC team leaders can take more than one hard wired system in the new codex). Only killing 2 vehicles a turn may not be be quick enough.

Even with the A.S.S. of the broadsides your list doesn't seem that manoeuvable. How will you hunt down the enemy if he doesn't walk into your guns ? How will you score in missions such as recon (you opponent only has to get to the kroot and stealths to reduce you chances of getting any bonus points to very slim).

I do feel my critism is a bit unfair, as how can anyone be expected to come up with a really good honed list when the book isn't even out yet, especially I think your list is the type of list we should all be trying out once the book is out, one that allows to see how all the new stuff fairs.

I'd be interested to hear your experiences of how the list performs, particularly the huge stealths & drones squad and the stingwings.

I've found kroot units to be very unreliable at times, and 20 models is alot to lose all at once to one bad combat or failed morale test. I'd rather have 3 medium sized squads of say 14 rather than 2 squads of 20. Further I'm not sure about the hounds. I'll have to see the new 'dex to see if they improved them at all, but at the moment I'd rather have just normal kroot who can shoot. The shooting is what normally makes the enemy come and deal with them (and if their in cover they get a good cover save and attack first with 40 attacks if you stay with units of 20).

To improve the manoevourability of the force I'd recommend give one of the broadside team's leader a target lock, getting rid of the other broadside team for a hammerhead, and then using the spare pts to get some plasma/missile or deathrain crisis suits to take the strain off the railguns when it comes to light vehicles. If you need more pts than you get from the broadside/hammerhead swap I'd lose some of the drones from the stealth squad (such a large squad will be hard to all get in range).

Good luck with your games, and let us know how the new codex units perform.

Rathstar

View my 40k Blog at: http://rathstarramblings.blogspot.com/
Old 13 Feb 2006, 23:22   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: This my new list for the tau codex coming out.

I pretty much was going for the xeno feel. Also I always like shield drones on the broadsides to make them last longer. I usually have problems in the past with escellation and they just sit there a turn not shooting. I forgot to give my stealth team two fusion rifles which I'll add to them. The sting wings are pretty much going to take over the crisis role so I'll like to see how that happens. I'm going to use the kroot for more of an assault role than shooting since the in5 kroot hounds. Also I forgot it's a squad of 20 kroot each not 10. But I really want to see how this would work though. Depending on the senerio my broadsides would come up two differant flanks. I probably would take a tank cause the rail gun is a good weapon but I'll experiment on nids with this list. That's why my stealth is a 18 man squad with shadow sun flying with them. 4 str 8 shoots would take out some beasties and tanks.