Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

 

Warhammer 40K Forum

1200 Local Tournament Tau List (unorthodox)
Reply
Old 22 Jun 2015, 23:03   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 10
Default 1200 Local Tournament Tau List (unorthodox)

Hello all, this will be my first tournament, hoping for a little guidance while I still have time to battle test/play around with roster. All thoughts/Comments greatly appreciated.

General Idea here is to have a versatile/mobile list that can put out a lot of strength and mid range fire power. While also giving various targets to make opponent choose.

HQ: 268

Commander: 2x ML Drone, 2x Missile Launcher, Drone Controller, Target Lock
Body Guard: 2x Marker Light Drone, Command Control Node, Puretide Chip, 2x Missile Launcher - 268

This set up gives me some versatility, The body guard having the support systems means I don't have to waste BS 5 missile shots, while also giving the same benefits, I also do potential pick up 4 ML shots, and 2 more MLs. Or the body guard & commander can join separate units & share the wealth. (unless i've really misread something)

Elite - 496

Riptide 1 - Ion Accel, SMS - 185

Riptide 2 - Ion Accel, SMS - 185

Crisis team - 2x Crisis suits, Suit A) 2x Missile pods, Early Warning, Crisis Suit B) 2x Missile Pods Target lock, 1 Marker light Drone.

By Far the bulk of my points, 2 Riptides should be difficult to deal with/intimidating at this point limit, while also putting up significant and varied fire for match number of types of opponents. Criis team is basic missile side load out, can make a champion team with Commander & Body Guard and knock hopefully 2 light transports a turn out.

Troops: 150
10 Kroot - Hound, Sniper Rounds - 75 points

10 Kroot - Hound, Sniper Rounds - 75 points

I've actually had a lot of success, we usually play with good amount of terrain, infiltrate, and hopefully pop 2+'s by making them roll a ton. Or Move right onto an objective; defend them by cracking open anything mobile.

Fast Attack: 56

Drone Squad - 4 Marker light Drones - 56 points

This gives me the 2nd option for my suits, where I can have the commander join drones, and Body guard lie with Missile Sides, and or form on super support gblob, depending on opponent. Idea here this gives me potentially 8 Bs 5 TL marker light shots per turn, and a whole lot of meat shield wounds.

Heavy Support: 229

Hammer Head Gunship - Ion Cannon, Sms, Disruption pod - 140

Broadside Battle Suit - High Yield Missile Pod, 2x Shield Drone -89

more Missiles & my Big AP3 Template/3x S7 shots. Versatility and 3rd priority target for an opponent to prioritize at 1200.

1199

I will struggle mightily with AV 13/14. While I doubt I will see a landraider, I am sure to see some AV 13, not really sure what trade off should be. Easy option is to give the tides Fusion's, that means however I'm moving them closer to enemy lines than I'd like them to be. Anyways, I tried to give the strategy/thoughts behind my decisions, would love your feedback.
Proxy406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jun 2015, 04:10   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La
 
LastRaven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: USA
Posts: 261
Default

Well I certainly like what you did there it looks real nice and your totally right it is unorthodox, but I kinda like it.

First off the EWO would go much better with your riptide as it is the same cost, but your getting far better range and firepower since he isn't taking 2 supports anyway.

I can't really tell is your bodyguard team 1 or 2 crisis? If it's 1 you should think about making him strictly buff without the missiles as you can probably afford somewhere to bring another crisis with the extra missiles.

you could also take off the target lock on the crisis team as 1 missile barrage will rarely kill off something by itself and you seem to have a lot of markerlights anyway who knows maybe you can fit in an extra ML Drone with the extra points .

As far as your splitting strat goes the bodyguard can't split from the commander so if your planning on having the options you should probably choose one or the other as drones by themselves are rather...ugg?

If you can afford the points somehow bring "Big Daddy Longstrike" he'll make your ions so much more effective since you can give your scatter -5 which believe you me can help a lot, and plus, he can over watch as much as he wants.

and if you want drop the two drones and give your broadside either stim or shields as this will either save you points and make him unstoppable or just immune to leadership tests. Like the riptide having two drones this is a bad idea.

Hope that helps I hope that you win big and if you can load a Battle report I think it would be fun to watch this one in action.
__________________
The First, The Last, The only...
LastRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jun 2015, 15:48   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: The Frozen North
Posts: 1,241
Default

As a note, the bodyguard cannot join other units, only the commander has the independent character special rule. This means that your main source of buffs is really only contributing to a very limited pool of overall firing resources (a pool that honestly won't even make much use of the the buffs being handed out). Make the bodyguard the third man in that exisitng crisis suit crisis suit unit.

You really will struggle with armour in this list. Try to find some way to get a pair of meltas on the field. You could go fusion blasters on your riptide? I know Raven's not a fan of them, but I think they combo well with the smash attack for when that landraider hits your lines.
Carrelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jun 2015, 16:33   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 10
Default Edits

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastRaven View Post
Well I certainly like what you did there it looks real nice and your totally right it is unorthodox, but I kinda like it.

First off the EWO would go much better with your riptide as it is the same cost, but your getting far better range and firepower since he isn't taking 2 supports anyway.

I can't really tell is your bodyguard team 1 or 2 crisis? If it's 1 you should think about making him strictly buff without the missiles as you can probably afford somewhere to bring another crisis with the extra missiles.

you could also take off the target lock on the crisis team as 1 missile barrage will rarely kill off something by itself and you seem to have a lot of markerlights anyway who knows maybe you can fit in an extra ML Drone with the extra points .

As far as your splitting strat goes the bodyguard can't split from the commander so if your planning on having the options you should probably choose one or the other as drones by themselves are rather...ugg?

If you can afford the points somehow bring "Big Daddy Longstrike" he'll make your ions so much more effective since you can give your scatter -5 which believe you me can help a lot, and plus, he can over watch as much as he wants.

and if you want drop the two drones and give your broadside either stim or shields as this will either save you points and make him unstoppable or just immune to leadership tests. Like the riptide having two drones this is a bad idea.

Hope that helps I hope that you win big and if you can load a Battle report I think it would be fun to watch this one in action.
I appreciate the feedback and I've made some changes that I think that will make my list a little more flexible.

HQ: 354

Comander, 2x Missile Pod, 2x Marker Drones, Drone Controller.
Body Gaurdx2 Body Guard 1: Chip, Comand Control Node 2x Missile Pod (gives me option of 12 missiles of 8 hyper accurate ones.) Guard 2: 2x Missile Pod.

I Initially only had 1 body guard, I now have 2. 6x Marker Drones (2 each) 1 as the buffer & Missile, the other with Dual Missiles. Ideally the body guards would be a crisis team instead but don't have the slots

Elite: 474

2x Riptides, with Plasma - Still Naked, but this i feel gives me a happy medium for Rear armor shots with additional low AP damage.

Crisis team: 2 Crisis Suits, 2x Fusion Blasters - Here is my AV13/14 popper. I really wanted to keep the Missile suits in, as I feel extremely confident that I'll see more Medium armor than Super heavy, but this does give me an ability to Deal with a land raider should the need arise. If I could find 10 points I'd make them each carry a TL fusion, making them less dependent on ML support.

Troops: 150

Same 2 Units of Kroot Snipers with Hounds -75x2

Fast Attack 0
Got rid of the Drones. Lost 2 Marker lights, picked up a 3rd Body Guard... with ML's

Heavy: 220

Broadside Battle Suit - High Yield Missile Pods, Stims

Hammer Head Gunship - Ion Cannon, SMS, Disruption Pod

Total 1198

Found the points for Stims for the suit by dropping it's drones. Will play test to see which I like better.

All in all I've lost 2 Marker light drones, 2 shield drones, and some upgrades, but Gained a Missile Body Guard, and found a way to get some Fusion-y goodness. The fusions and plasma on the Tides I thing make me even more versatile. Also thanks for clearing up the confusion regarding that body guards; that does make it less broken. There is a chance this becomes a 1250 point tourney, in which case I may drop the body guards and go dual commanders. Still playing around what that would make the list look like.

Looking forward to your thoughts
Proxy406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jun 2015, 17:27   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La
 
LastRaven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: USA
Posts: 261
Default

Just to let you know unless you ally a farsight enclave you cannot take a second commander, because you cannot take an hq of the same name more than once, but if your tourney allows for allies all you have to do is put a commander in your 2nd command slot and switch a team of crisis over to enclave. However this will require a 3 crisis team.

As far as the bodyguard thing goes I haven't seen it in the rulebook, but it does make sense since they don't have Ind char, I'll have to send a question to GW on if they can faq it for clarification on what they meant it to be.
__________________
The First, The Last, The only...
LastRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jun 2015, 18:21   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastRaven View Post
Just to let you know unless you ally a farsight enclave you cannot take a second commander, because you cannot take an hq of the same name more than once, but if your tourney allows for allies all you have to do is put a commander in your 2nd command slot and switch a team of crisis over to enclave. However this will require a 3 crisis team.

As far as the bodyguard thing goes I haven't seen it in the rulebook, but it does make sense since they don't have Ind char, I'll have to send a question to GW on if they can faq it for clarification on what they meant it to be.
I thought this referred to named characters only; for example my friend plays space wolves and runs multiple Rune priests as HQ's...

As for the body guards, I believe I was mistaken, they cannot join a unit that isn't the commander; I have geared them (and changed my other crisis team) to reflect this.

My last question, is it worth it to find the points to upgrade my two fusion carrying suits to having TL Fusion Blaster, Fusion? or should I look for points for a Shield drone/ Defensive buff?
Proxy406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jun 2015, 18:24   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrelio View Post
As a note, the bodyguard cannot join other units, only the commander has the independent character special rule. This means that your main source of buffs is really only contributing to a very limited pool of overall firing resources (a pool that honestly won't even make much use of the the buffs being handed out). Make the bodyguard the third man in that existing crisis suit crisis suit unit.

You really will struggle with armor in this list. Try to find some way to get a pair of meltas on the field. You could go fusion blasters on your riptide? I know Raven's not a fan of them, but I think they combo well with the smash attack for when that landraider hits your lines.
Do you feel the purposed changes Adequately address this?
-Plasma on Riptides
-2 Fusion suits (4x Fusions) would you shave points somewhere (where) to upgrade 2 of the fusion blasters to TL Fusions? or alternatively invest in a defensive buff (shield drones, Stims, thrusters?)

Thanks again for the feedback.
Proxy406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jun 2015, 19:12   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La
 
LastRaven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: USA
Posts: 261
Default

Heres my take on both of your questions.

The named character applies to anyone who is named like you said and unfortunately the commander is a named HQ along side all of Tau's HQ. I believe this applies to all races which I'm thinking that your buddy pal may be either playing unbound or his rulebook states otherwise, but if it does not then either he doesn't care and is doing it anyway or he doesn't know that he can't use two rune priests. This was confirmed to me by a judge when I tried to do the same thing.

and in my experience its better to have just two weapon systems and a defensive buff like stim or shield, since 75% of the time you'll hit with one or you will have a buffmander type suit who can twinlink essentially and ignore cover, and tank hunter/monster hunter.

and while your list looks solely heavy dmg/anti-armor, I don't see much dice from anything other than kroot and missilesides so do yourself a favor and take 5 points from somewhere and give subs to longstrike/hammerhead as your army will be annihilated by orcs and during a tourney. Someone will bring orcs.
__________________
The First, The Last, The only...
LastRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jun 2015, 19:20   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: The Frozen North
Posts: 1,241
Default

You may run multiples of HQs as you can any other unit so long as they are not unique (such as the imperial assassins or officially named characters such as Farsight who will be marked in their codex entry as unique).

Bodyguards form their own separate unit of 1-2 suits with drones. They act like a normal unit does and thus can't join other units since they do not have the independent character special rule. They may be joined by an independent character or run on their own. Further, the Sworn Protector special rule means that any look out sir checks taken by independent characters in a unit of bodyguards (or in Shadowsun's case stealth suits) is automatically passed.

Edit: the submunitions option on the hammerhead is only for the railgun. If you are using the ion cannon you may not take the submunition option, but you get a large blast template from overcharging it anyways.

Edit 2: the change to the pair of double fusion suits should give you more than enough anti tank at this point value.

Last edited by Carrelio; 23 Jun 2015 at 19:32.
Carrelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jun 2015, 20:05   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrelio View Post
You may run multiples of HQs as you can any other unit so long as they are not unique (such as the imperial assassins or officially named characters such as Farsight who will be marked in their codex entry as unique).

Bodyguards form their own separate unit of 1-2 suits with drones. They act like a normal unit does and thus can't join other units since they do not have the independent character special rule. They may be joined by an independent character or run on their own. Further, the Sworn Protector special rule means that any look out sir checks taken by independent characters in a unit of bodyguards (or in Shadowsun's case stealth suits) is automatically passed.

Edit: the submunitions option on the hammerhead is only for the railgun. If you are using the ion cannon you may not take the submunition option, but you get a large blast template from overcharging it anyways.

Edit 2: the change to the pair of double fusion suits should give you more than enough anti tank at this point value.
This is how I understood it as well.

As for horde protection, I have 3 large blast templates, and extreemly mobile marker light support. I should be able to wipe 1-2 Units off table a turn at this point level. (Especially if I have first turn) Not to mention 16 ish st 7 Ap 4 missile shots a turn, and the fire from the kroot. I am far less afraid of Nids/Orcs, then I am Eldar/ Guardsmen/ Necrons/ and pesky Land-raiders...

I know at least 1 player will be a blood angels player and another will be a Space wolf player. So I've made it a point to pop transports; and then Drop low AP Pie plates down on key combat troops.
Proxy406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On