Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

1500 Pt Farsight Army (updated)
Old 18 Jun 2015, 01:54   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default 1500 Pt Farsight Army (updated)

I'm playing a tournament at the end of the month and fairly new to tau, feel free to leave any changes I should try!

+++ 1500 farsight (1500pts) +++

++ Tau Empire: Supplement - Farsight Enclaves (2013) (Combined Arms Detachment) ++

+ HQ +

Commander [Drone controller, Shield Generator]

Commander Farsight

+ Troops +

XV8 Crisis Team [Bonding Knife Ritual]
····Crisis Shas'ui [2x Plasma Rifle]

XV8 Crisis Team [Bonding Knife Ritual]

XV8 Crisis Team (compulsory) [Bonding Knife Ritual]
····Crisis Shas'ui [2x Fusion blaster]

+ Fast Attack +

Drone Squadron [4x Marker Drone]

Pathfinder Team [Bonding Knife Ritual, 4x Pathfinder Shas'la]

++ Tau Empire: Supplement - Farsight Enclaves (2013) (Formation Detachment) ++

+ Formation +

Firebase Support Cadre
····XV104 Riptide [Earth Caste Pilot Array, Ion Accelerator, Twin-linked Fusion Blaster]

····XV88 Broadside Team [Bonding Knife Ritual]
········Broadside Shas'ui [Twin-linked High-Yield Missile Pod, Twin-linked Smart Missile System]
········Broadside Shas'ui [Early Warning Override, Twin-linked High-Yield Missile Pod, Twin-linked Smart Missile System]
········Broadside Shas'ui [Early Warning Override, Twin-linked High-Yield Missile Pod, Twin-linked Smart Missile System]

····XV88 Broadside Team [Bonding Knife Ritual]
Wintermits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jun 2015, 03:22   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Farsight is a thematic choice for an HQ, but he's not your strongest option unless you are taking him as a tax to take one of the Seven Samurai. Dropping him would free up some points for alternative options.

On the topic of HQ options, your commander is looking a little lackluster. I get that you're going for a Mark'O but I think to make him that bare bones takes it too far. A target lock lets you split your fire from the rest of the unit, so you can take a couple missile pods (nd don't forget to get him 2 drones of his own, they are 2 points less than drones from a drone squad that way!). An alternative I've been tinkering with has been the following:
-Airbursting Fragmentation Projector
-Target Lock
-Stimulant Injector
-Drone Controller
-Pendent of Arthus Moloch
-2x marker drones

On the topic of marker lights, try to find an alternative to those pathfinders. 4 means they are only averaging 2 hits so they are currently acting as a secondary light source and they just won't cut it. If you can swap them to a sniper drone unit with 3 spotters and as many snipers as you want (even consider converting your pathfinders to make this unit like I did using 3 rail rifles and 3 converted spotters on crisis bases).

3 fusion suits at 1500 points is going to be over-kill in most games. And 3 in a single unit without even adding any target locks is waaaaay over to top. Run 2 of them as 2 separate units.

Your list is a little light on massed firepower. Maybe give one of your plasma rifle units burst cannons instead?

Your list is currently light on deployment control due to a lack of infiltrate. But it does have a lot of deepstrike. You could consider some kroot to impact the deployment phase (use their infiltrate to directly block enemy infiltrators from getting in your face early on). Alternatively, using your less mobile firebase as a lure, you could go flexible deployment and look into a comms-relay on a fortification and go heavy deepstrike.
Carrelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jun 2015, 04:01   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Firstly, Thanks for all the advice and tips!

My plan with farsight was too use him with my fusion team to for sure blow up a tank first turn they come on. The reason I went with 3 is cuz of taus crappy BS >< But Maybe 6 melta shots is a bit overkill heh. I deff. see that farsight is kinda crappy.. is there anything I could do to make him more viable? I'd love to use him.. but maybe a tournament isnt the best setting.

I think I will try that commander load out. It sucks pathfinders are so crappy, Id love to use them as well.. Am I better off just having a second marker drone team? (I wont be able to get a sniper team or anything by the tournament.)

I do have a hammerhead/ another riptide I could put in but I feel like having two riptides didnt work that well in my past list.. however I had 0 markerlights and I feel as if riptides need them to hit their potential.

Im not sure this will help you build a list thats better or not but the two best players play Eldar and Necrons.. I can't ever seem to beat them.

The eldar player plays a heavy jetbike army with 3 flyers zz X.X

The necrons wraiths/command barge seem to be the biggest problem for me. (they get 3+/3++ with 5+ reanimation...... from the spider I believe.

Thank you for the help
Old 18 Jun 2015, 04:19   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Farsight really works best in non-competitive games. The only competitive options I've seen him in are deathstar Tau empire lists, and as a tax to take stuff like O'vesa

Maybe give one of the broadside units or battle suits units a drone controller and 6 more marker drones instead of those pathfinders?

I was actually considering warning you about the 3 newest codexs but it seems you have already encounter 2 of them. Marines are also about to cause you one hell of a problem with their new deepstrike formation. Sadly there honestly isn't a lot we can do about it... besides shifting our strategy away from aiming to win and instead just aiming to hang on until we can squeak out a last turn 1 point victory (beat the game not the player).

Edit: as for the Riptide, the ECPA is going to make this guy less reliant on lights, but he would still like them, especially to strip cover off of enemy units. The average riptide loves 5 markerlight hits worth of support.

Last edited by Carrelio; 18 Jun 2015 at 04:30.
Old 18 Jun 2015, 16:53   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Ok so your going against the two pain in everyone's side that well I haven't had that much trouble with to be honest. Yes the jetbikes are the biggest pain, but with a well coordinated use of missilesides and buffmanders you can strike fear into any eldar or necron army by the following.

vs eldar deepstriking is key to victory here which bringing farsight for others being able to deepstrike with him helps so, so much also missilesides are a must even if you have to take them instead of tanks or markerdrones because of the shear amount of dice they have to save on. My general motto is 1 team vs 1 team so even if something is threatening you pretty hard. Skin what you can and if you need to take next turn to kill something with a crisis suit rather than missile side do so never waste the massive amount of dice.

vs necron deepstriking is bad for them as they usually have deathmarks which benefit from you deepstriking just take your time take a mix of missile and rails. Prime targets are ghost arcs, tes vault(or variations), and lords/warlords. I personally play necrons so I know the strengths of them one major fall back is that reanimation is just another FNP do not let people fool you into having the models return at the end of phase/turn this is not what the new necron rules state, Its an old rule. Also don't worry about things like the wraiths and lynchguard these are defensive gates for the necron and are really not that much of a threat except wraiths vs vehicles. In general do not bring vehicles vs necron they will get destroyed the fastest and turn into a points sink. Last thing use blast templates vs scarabs they are swarms and get 2x the damage when hit by a blast and usually bunched together so 1 IA shot will take out the entire thing if not most of it.

List wise I see no riptides by 1500 you should have at least one. Either ally or main the tau codex as you can save points on bonding knives which aren't all that great, and you can include a commander with farsight if you want which you can buffmander with another crisis team to get that super effective your looking for. As far as light choices goes you have chose the worst pathfinders are useless unless your going full special weapons with darkstrider, give farsight 2 markerdrones and his team marker drones, and give a buffmander marker drones and give his team marker drones this is the best option in terms of light support.

Lastly don't forget lights can be used AFTER designating a flying target so use the markerdrones to get that extra BS without having to use velocity so you can get those 2+ on flyers.

Hope that helped man I'm sure I forgot something, but I'm done with this wall of text I'll post more if I remember or you ask.
Old 18 Jun 2015, 18:04   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Thanks for the help LastRaven, I think you overlooked the list, I have a riptide in the firebase cadre, It doesn't have a space under it so maybe that's why you missed it heh :P

I also wanted to mention Farsight doesn't actually have the option to take drones ( maybe there's a way around it but in the codex and battle scribe it doesn't let him.)

It seems my best option is to cut the pathfinders, and add 4 markerdrones to my farsight team (if I keep him)
Old 18 Jun 2015, 19:15   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Farsight doesn't get to take drones but he can join units with drones, or a unit entirely made of drones if you really wanted (the latter isn't a strong option though since he has no way to support drones on his own). This means that a full force Farsight bomb with attached independent characters could have as many as 19 drones (if you attached shadowsun with her 3 drones and a buffmander with his 2 drones)... but honestly Tau deathstars aren't usually the optimal choice so just teaming Farsight up with 2 to 4 other suits with their attached drones would likely be enough.
Old 19 Jun 2015, 06:04   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

My bad yeah I didn't see your riptide for some reason on your Firebase(Dirrrr!) and as far as the drone thing I was assuming you were taking a bodyguard team with farsight, but yeah I usually take drones with the squad so thats my bad. Also I would highly recommend the only switch you should do with farsight if you choose not to take him is a buffmander I personally would take both if you can afford the points.

Oh and another thing I remembered. Jink saves count as cover so Ignores cover rules like sms work well for these.

Last edited by LastRaven; 19 Jun 2015 at 06:07.
LastRaven is offline   Reply With Quote