Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

TE Army - 1k [New Player]
Old 13 Jun 2015, 16:46   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default TE Army - 1k [New Player]

Hi all, i'm a new WH40k player with 0 experience and i tried to build a TE List.

HQ
Commander (167 Pts)
TL Missile Pod, Target Lock, Drone Controller, Iridium Battlesuit, Shield Drone(2),
here i'm not sure about the difference between TL Missile Pod o x2 Missile Pod

Troops
Fire Warrior Team (130 Pts)
- Fire Warrior (9): Combat Armour, Photon Grenades, Pulse Rifle(9), Bonding Knife Ritual(10), EMP Grenades(10), ,
- Fire Warrior Shas'ui (1): Combat Armour, Photon Grenades, Pulse Rifle, ,

Fire Warrior Team (130 Pts)
- Fire Warrior (9): Combat Armour, Photon Grenades, Pulse Rifle(9), Bonding Knife Ritual(10), EMP Grenades(10), ,
- Fire Warrior Shas'ui (1): Combat Armour, Photon Grenades, Pulse Rifle, ,

Elites
XV104 Riptide (205 Pts)
- XV104 Riptide (1): Riptide Battlesuit, Riptide Shield Generator, Ion Accelerator, TL Fusion Blaster, Velocity Tracker, ,
XV8 Crisis Team (166 Pts)
- Crisis Shas'ui (3): Crisis Battlesuit, Flamer, Plasma Rifle, TL Fusion Blaster, Twin-linked Plasma Rifle, Target Lock, Drone Controller, Shield Drone(2), Bonding Knife Ritual(3)

Heavy Support
XV88 Broadside Team (197 Pts)
- Broadside Shas'ui (2): Broadside Battlesuit, TL HRR(2), Twin-linked Plasma Rifle(2), Drone Controller, Shield Generator, Shield Drone(2)

Total 995/1000

I'm here to ask how to improve this list and what i should buy (i just got models that are in this list) to get a 1,5k list. If there are some errors excuse me but i'm still studying the rules.
Thanks all and sorry for the bad english.
Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jun 2015, 17:15   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

You are falling into a really classic new Tau player trap. Just because you can make a 1000 point army, doesn't mean you should. Every unit here is an absolute point glutton and gains almost nothing for all those extra points you've spent on them. This list is handicapping itself by probably close to 100 points (it's as though you'll be playing a 900 point list against opponents who will be playing 1000 points which is going to make it way harder for you to win). Always keep your tau lean, mean, and clean. No extra bells and whistles unless you NEED them to accomplish your goals.

Bonding knives? Total trap, and a waste of points. It's really difficult to waste points when something only costs 1 point... but bonding knife rituals managed to do it due to the extreme situationality of their usage!

EMP grenades? Good luck getting your fire warriors to charge anything of value and not get killed before they do so. As soon as your firewarriors leave cover, they are a prime target for easy kill points, and short of you hiding the fact that they have EMPs from your opponent (or him playing badly and forgetting; something we should never assume in our strategy) no one will bring a tank anywhere near them unless it's a transport they plan on charging out of and abandoning anyways.

Why do you have drone controllers on all your suits but no drones with any guns in your entire list? Drop all of those or change the drones to something they can work with.

Your XV8 crisis team is trying to do everything and will end up doing nothing, jack of all trades master of none style. Give them as many unified pairs of weapons as possible. Your list is really light on (viable) anti-tank at the moment, so consider double fusion blasters on one or 2 suits as a unit. Alternatively, double plasma on a 3 man unit is always kick-ass. At the lower point levels you can get away with some mixing and matching and could go with 3 suits using the fusion+plasma combo as anti-meq/teq with a secondary role as anti-tank, or swap out that fusion blaster for a burst cannon if you are worried about getting overwhelmed by a horde.

Your commander will 100% be better with 2 missile pods, because 2 missile pods is 4 shots hitting on 2s. Twin linked missile pods are 2 shots hitting on 2s and rerolling 1s. 4 shots at bs5 is nearly twice as good as 2 twin linked at bs5.

This list could really use some markerlights. If you swapped out the drones on your commander to marker drones, and then either gave the squad of battlesuits another 4-6 marker drones (so he can join and buff them), or made a free floating unit of 4 marker drones (so he can join and buff them), you would be doing much better.
Carrelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jun 2015, 17:52   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

First of all thanks for the reply, i tried to change something as you suggested:

HQ
Commander (177 Pts)
- Commander (1): Crisis Battlesuit, Missile Pod(2), Target Lock, Drone Controller, Iridium Battlesuit, Marker Drone(2)

Troops
Fire Warrior Team (100 Pts)
- Fire Warrior (9): Combat Armour, Photon Grenades, Pulse Rifle(9), ,
- Fire Warrior Shas'ui (1): Combat Armour, Photon Grenades, Pulse Rifle,

- Fire Warrior Shas'ui (1): Combat Armour, Photon Grenades, Pulse Rifle

Elites
XV104 Riptide (205 Pts)
- XV104 Riptide (1): Riptide Battlesuit, Riptide Shield Generator, Ion Accelerator, TL Fusion Blaster, Velocity Tracker

XV8 Crisis Team (252 Pts)
- Crisis Shas'ui (3): Crisis Battlesuit, Plasma Rifle(6), Drone Controller(3), Marker Drone(6)
was not sure about how many Drone Controller i need to take 6 drones so in the doubt i toke 3 DC, not sure if i can, i'm a newbie

Heavy Support
XV88 Broadside Team (165 Pts)
- Broadside Shas'ui (2): Broadside Battlesuit, TL HRR(2), Twin-linked Plasma Rifle(2), Shield Generator
not sure about shield generator

Total 999/1000
Old 13 Jun 2015, 22:09   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Ok if I may man you seem to be following the directions, but not quite getting it and that's alright and why we are all here to help. Let me point out your biggest flaw in here if you are going to put a drone controller on anyone put it on your commander and place him with the squad of crisis who are using your marker drones as this will give all markerdrones BS5(Hitting on 2+).

drop your Crisis drone controllers as you only need to use one to get the effect. This is why applying it to your commander works best.

Drop your shas'ui for the firewarriors and grab an ethereal he is only 50pts, is an hq choice, and grants LDR 10 to all units within 12" of him plus you can grant your guys the invocation of the elements.

If your going vel tracker on your riptide I would personally recommend from experience to switch to the burst cannon and pulse rifles and if your not going to use him for AA then switch that Vel to a Stim & EWO(If the points will allow)

and for your broadsides if your keeping them as HRR which I use all the time then give them SMS very, very rarely will anything get close enough for plasmas or sms for that matter, but having that range buffer is definitely better than not using anything at all. Also drop your shields and give them Stims. Very rarely does anything breach AP2 and when something does yes 4+inv is nice, but you get double benefit with stim first off you get FNP which can be used on top of losing a armor save and second, if you do have something that breaches your armor you still have the 5+.

Also for the commander you have the option of using a buffmander which is totally up to you.

Hope that helped! Happy wargaming!
Old 14 Jun 2015, 00:20   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I don't think the heavy burst cannon option will have the support it needs to be effective in the above list, I'd definitely stick to the ion accelerator.
Old 15 Jun 2015, 08:35   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Thanks;
i don't have Ethereals, but i will buy them as soon as possible and i will sub Fire Warriors Shas'ui with them.

This is my actually list, I'm slowly understanding how the army works:

HQ
Commander (177 Pts)
- Commander (1): Crisis Battlesuit, Missile Pod(2), Target Lock, Drone Controller, Iridium Battlesuit, Marker Drone(2), ,
- Crisis Bodyguard (0): Crisis Battlesuit

Troops

Elites
XV104 Riptide (205 Pts)
- XV104 Riptide (1): Riptide Battlesuit, Riptide Shield Generator, Ion Accelerator, TL Fusion Blaster, Velocity Tracker

XV8 Crisis Team (228 Pts)
- Crisis Shas'ui (3): Crisis Battlesuit, Plasma Rifle(6), Gun Drone(2), Marker Drone(4)

Heavy Support
XV88 Broadside Team (160 Pts)
- Broadside Shas'ui (2): Broadside Battlesuit, TL HRR(2), TL SMS(2), Stimulant Injector(2)

Total 970/1000

How can i use this 30 pts?
Old 15 Jun 2015, 13:26   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

well first off you should proxy or replace the two gun drones for marker drones. You already have all the pin shots you need from your fires.

and put the other 30pts into stims for your crisis easy peasy
Old 15 Jun 2015, 17:45   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

^or 30 points to give your riptide feel no pain if you're going in that direction...

OOOOORRRRRR

Drop the velocity tracker from your riptide and use the 50 points to grab yourself a bare bones fusion blaster piranha.
Old 15 Jun 2015, 21:28   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

actually its 35pts for the riptide buddy boy, and second thats your only AA so don't drop it until you get yourself some missilesides, third if your not going against Air do yourself a favor and drop the velocity tracker as its just a points sink for you. Lastly one pihrana is not enough to do anything, but get itself killed where stims on your crisis will keep them alive far, far longer as your enemies now have to punch through your armor and FNP before they can kill them off.
Old 15 Jun 2015, 22:00   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I don't know how big a threat air targets are at 1000 points. You will see an average all comers list bringing one flyer, 2 or 3 if people are really pushing for it, and at that size you can do a pretty good job of just avoiding them, so I'm not sold on the velocity tracker.

A single piranha can get itself killed, that's fine, its purpose is to clog up enemy movements and prevent their transports from reaching your front lines. If it blows something up, all the better, but it's much better to think of it as a piece of mobile terrain for 50 points. It can be a real thorn in people's sides.

Then added defense on the suits adds survivability, certainly, but it doesn't add any real tactical advantages to the list; no extra firepower, no extra mobility, no extra options. It's a good upgrade and a fine choice to make, it's just a very straight forward defensive option.