Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Starting Tau in a couple weeks, trying to build a solid 1500 pt list
Old 08 Jun 2015, 18:20   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Starting Tau in a couple weeks, trying to build a solid 1500 pt list

I've been looking at a lot of lists online and I came up with this one, let me know if you think there are weak points.

Commander
w/ 2 gun-drones, Command Control Node, Iridium suit, Drone Controller, shield gen. Stimulant injector. Rero-Thrusters

2 Riptides (same load out)
w/ Ion Accelerator, twin Fusion Blaster, Early Warning Override, Stimulant injector.

6 Fire Warriors
w/ Devilfish( Smart missles, Distuption pods, Sensor Spines.)

16 Kroot

7 Gun drones (will join my commander)

3 Broadside
w/ High Yield Missile pods, Early Warning Override, Smart Missiles

3 Broadside
w/ Heavy Rail Rifle, Early Warning Override, Smart Missiles

1 Broadside
w/ High Yield Missile pods, Early Warning Override, Smart Missiles

I look froward to your feedback!
Wintermits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Jun 2015, 00:39   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

It is not often I see a gun drone commander. Nothing wrong with that, but your gear is off. The C&C node gives the unit rerolls to hit, but all gun drones are already twin linked... and the commander is BS5. Drop the C&C node, save some points. Strongly consider dropping a couple of your commanders defensive options for some weapon (2 burst cannons will fit right in here!). I'd definitely drop the vectored retro thruster as one of them (hit and run is a crutch for Tau, if you play smart you will never need to use it). And with such a giant drone cloud, you could honestly get away without the shield generator and look out sir away any S10 hits that would instant kill your commander.

The other thing this list would benefit from is the Tau Firebase Support Cadre. It's a tau formation made up of 1 riptide, and 2 units of 3 broadsides (and any drones). By claiming those 3 units you already own as a Firebase Support Cadre instead of just putting them in their regular force organization position you get 2 things. First, all the models in those 3 units gain the universal special rule Tank Hunter for free. It's free. It's useful. You want this. Second, all 3 units gain the special rule Bane of Angels; all 3 units gain the universal special rule Preferred Enemy (space marines), in exchange, all space marines gain the universal special rule Hatred against the 3 units in the Firebase Support Cadre. Since hatred only effects close combat and we will lose that anyways, this is basically another free bonus for the Tau! Win win win.

Lastly, you can honestly save points on those sensor spines on the devilfish. It should always be jinking rather than shooting, so you're basically always going to get a cover save even if you're out in the open. Save yourself the points for something better.

Likewise, that lonely broadside is just too vulnerable and really won't do a lot of damage on his own. I'd drop him for something else. Maybe a specialized crisis suit? Maybe a fusion piranha? Just some more firewarriors to bulk out your squad? Markerlights?

On the topic of markerlights... parts of this list are going to struggle without them. Specifically the riptides. Don't expect them to do anything unless you can get them the support they need. Pathfinders are generally way too fragile to be of much help. Most people go with marker drones on their commander instead to fill this role. Forge world Tetras can be a strong option too. Secondary light sources like sniperdrone marksmen, and skyrays can also be good, but don't usually cover your entire lighting need (each riptide needs 5 markerlight hits to be at full effectiveness! 3 to get that reroll on the overheat and scatter, and 2 to remove cover).
Carrelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Jun 2015, 05:00   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Carrelio covers most of the flaws let me point out some others.

-In most cases the devilfish isn't strong enough to help on any roll and costs too much for its transport needs get rid of it and fill the rest of your fire warriors.
-Kroot I love them, but if you have points to add more than one you need to grab yourself only one kroot hound to the unit so you can grab acute senses.
-The missilesides switch ewo for Velocity tracker, this will tear through anything in the air I have recently been bringing 2 teams of missilesides with velocity and they will independently take out hive tyrants(in my case its usually 2 down 2 to go) and they are equally as good about taking out ground when there is no flyers. However if your going up against less than 3 flyers choose what you want I like putting stims on my broadsides that extra 15pts keeps them alive about 3 times as long creating a long term investment.
-Riptide, fusions are bad for him, instead go with either the tank hunter roll and grab plasmas or anti infantry and go with sms either option is better for the riptide.

Hope that helps!
Old 09 Jun 2015, 05:33   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I actually disagree on the points of the devilfish and the fusion riptides. Devilfish is very expensive and as a result almost certainly overpriced, but it is still our only reliably durable objective secured option. As for the riptide, while the limited range of the fusion blaster doesn't seem to fit very well with its main weapon system it does provide a really nice back field threat against armour to keep enemy tanks away from your deployment zone, especially when comboed with potential smash attacks.
Old 09 Jun 2015, 17:22   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

well but at the same point all units in 7th can take objectives not just troops choices because either way your contesting with another player for the spot it just happens to who gets there first and if you rocking crisis teams they are so much more mobile than a devilfish and can usually take out any forces holding objectives. As far as the riptide your not going to have to deal with any ap lower than two so no saves can be taken anyway plus you get an additional shot with the rapid fire and can ripple fire for up to 4 shots that can pen wouldn't you say that would be more effective than giving for the possibility of 2 shots that have a chance to pen?
Old 09 Jun 2015, 18:14   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Hey guys, Thanks for the feedback! I modified the list a little bit, I think its more of a focused List.
Also I will be using the Tau Firebase Support Cadre, great advice!

Commander
w/ 2 gundrones, Cyclic Ion Blaster, Neuroweb Jammer, Iridium suit, Drone Controller, Shield Generator, Stimulant Injector

2 Riptides (same load out)
w/ Ion Accelerator, twin Fusion Blaster, Early Warning Override, Stimulant injector.

2 Crisis Suits (not sure about these)
w/ 2 flamers each

10 Kroot
w/ kroot hound

10 Kroot
w/ kroot hound

3 Piranhas
w/ fusion blasters

3 Broadsides
w/ 6 missile drones (not sure about these) TL Missile Pod, Targetlock, TL Smart missiles

3 Broadsides
w/ TL Missile Pod, Early Warning Override, TL Smart missiles

So, My thought procces was why pay so much for 6 firewarriors and a devil fish when I can just run Kroot and pretty much do the same thing. As for taking otu the drone squad.. I think the value of just using piranhas is just overall better, I can disembark the 6 drones and fly them over to my commander.

I also took out the lonely broadside, The only thing i'm not sure about is the crisis suits with flamers, I was thinking they could kill off little troops on objectives as well as clean up after I blow up a transport.
Wintermits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jun 2015, 00:15   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastRaven View Post
well but at the same point all units in 7th can take objectives not just troops choices because either way your contesting with another player for the spot it just happens to who gets there first and if you rocking crisis teams they are so much more mobile than a devilfish and can usually take out any forces holding objectives. As far as the riptide your not going to have to deal with any ap lower than two so no saves can be taken anyway plus you get an additional shot with the rapid fire and can ripple fire for up to 4 shots that can pen wouldn't you say that would be more effective than giving for the possibility of 2 shots that have a chance to pen?
The devilfish has a couple benefits that crisis teams don't get (assuming you've gone Farsight Enclave for objective secured crisis suits, otherwise it's 3 advantages). First is the durability of the devilfish; where crisis suits gain most of their durability from their mobility, the devilfish is just straight up durable. The second is the final turn objective rush, tanks can do this better than troops due to tank shock. About to lose/tie the game by one objective? Tank shock directly on top of one your opponent is holding on the last turn of the game. Whether he passes or fails the leadership check becomes irrelevant as either way you have now parked a 6" hovering cube on top of it (displacing his troops). The only risk is a death or glory attack, and honestly AV12 gives you pretty good odds (even a chance that if you blow up you will kill a great big hole in the enemy unit and still succeed in forcing them off the objective).

The fusion blasters are useful because of the melta rule. It doesn't matter how many S6 shots you are firing if you want to deal damage to AV13+.
Old 10 Jun 2015, 07:31   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Well, but with the devilfish you can still do this method with a hammerhead or skyray and get far more benefits from it plus get your 13 front armor.
Old 10 Jun 2015, 17:27   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

You'll never have moved either the skyray or the hammerhead infield enough to tankshock on the last turn, the only opportunity you would ever have for either of them to make a move would be if you had had a weapon destroyed result that freed you from the responsibility of shooting at full effectiveness each turn (obviously not a situation we want). Objective secured also adds some security to the chance of failure here, since anything short of an explodes result will at the very least get you a contested objective and at the best win you the objective even if your tankshock gets punked by a melta gun.