Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

New to the Game
Closed Thread
Old 14 Sep 2005, 01:40   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Send a message via AIM to icehouse1203 Send a message via Yahoo to icehouse1203
Default New to the Game

Hello, Im new to the game and I want to play Space Marines but I have no clue what chapter I want to play. Just wondering if I could get some info from some people to help decide what I would like to play.

Thanks
Old 14 Sep 2005, 03:30   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: New to the Game

a really easy way to do it is just to start with regular space marines (and a chapter name of your choice...be as creative as you want. and maybe come up with a nice paint scheme), build up a smallish force, find out how the game works and your style of play, then you can change whatever you need to from there.

of course, if you already have some preference left over from wherever (maybe old computer games, RPG's, and so on), for a particular style of play, then follow through on it...impulse is good

tho if you're looking for a specific chapter to play, i'd have to advocate space wolves...real hard-arses in close combat, with a very short-ranged style of play, involving a mix of mid-to-short range shooting followed by some full-on combat just to polish the enemy off. however, the problem with focussed styles of play is that they tend to run into issues with certain other armies...which is why regular marines is a good way to go to start with. they can adapt to pretty much any situation...

"Well, a gathering is brie, mellow song stylings; shindig, dip, less mellow song stylings, perhaps a large amount of malt beverage; and hootenanny, well, it's chock full of hoot, just a little bit of nanny." Oz (Buffy, episode 2, season 3)

"I don't like coke, i just like the way it smells" Unknown

"and in the words of our lord and saviour, jesus christ, **** you if you can't take a joke" The Glass House
Old 14 Sep 2005, 07:07   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Repent...before the lion kicks yer loins, BloodiedFangs! ;D

I play Dark Angels, cause they have some really awesome fluff, they're the oldest chapter, the "darkest", in fact, there's even some debate over which side they're actually on...mostly started by those blasphemous heretics, the "space pups". You want something more paranoid than the inquisition, more xenophobic than Cadia, and more selfish than Eric Cartman? Heed the call of the Lion! As far as game play goes, Dark Angels are a relatively shooty force, by marine standards. Their rules don't really cause this, it's just that their special rules don't focus on close combat, the way BT, SW, and BA do. They have all the close combat abilities of a stock vanilla marine chapter, no more, no less. So, they come across as being shooty. Also, under 3rd edition they were the only ones allowed to take plasma cannons in tactical squads, which further reinfoced their shooty reputation. Now that anyone can take PCs and they've been nerfed, there is no reason for DA to be particularly shooty. It's just that they still don't have the close combat advantages that other chapters offer...

But..repent at your leisure...I have ages.

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
Old 14 Sep 2005, 08:03   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

careful, or i'll break you over my knee, ya dress-wearing ponce and like a space wolf would ever repent...we're the only chapter with the balls to really tell the inquisition where to stick it...course, it must be somewhat intimidating fi you're arguing with a power-armoured savage wrapped in bloodstained wolf furs and carrying an axe as big as your head

"Well, a gathering is brie, mellow song stylings; shindig, dip, less mellow song stylings, perhaps a large amount of malt beverage; and hootenanny, well, it's chock full of hoot, just a little bit of nanny." Oz (Buffy, episode 2, season 3)

"and in the words of our lord and saviour, jesus christ, **** you if you can't take a joke" The Glass House
Old 14 Sep 2005, 18:24   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodiedFangs
careful, or i'll break you over my knee, ya dress-wearing ponce and like a space wolf would ever repent...we're the only chapter with the balls to really tell the inquisition where to stick it...course, it must be somewhat intimidating fi you're arguing with a power-armoured savage wrapped in bloodstained wolf furs and carrying an axe as big as your head
;D I like this, a lot.

I like vanilla marines best for starting marines but it is completely up to you.
Just let us know what you like. Close combat or ranged, armor or troops, we can help you
Old 15 Sep 2005, 05:56   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodiedFangs
I beg to differ, puppy. The inquisition dares not enter the rock...not that they know where to find it...I think in terms of our relationship with the ][, our chapters are pretty equal

Quote:
Old 15 Sep 2005, 10:56   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

yes, but we've gone beyond merely refusing to allow the inquisition into our home. we've challenged them and forced them to back down (case in point: armageddon)

Old 15 Sep 2005, 13:57   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Scout Sergeant Mkoll

I'd recommend staring with standard Marines (or as everyone else calls them, vanilla marines) and from there either adapt to another chapter or come up with your own.
Oh come on, just because I'm carrying around the joy of killing your family, doesn't mean we still can't be friends.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kara Thrace
Ah, I'm minnie, meaning I'm sexy, badass, and will happily shoot you in the back.

Damn, I hope I don't get quoted calling myself sexy. :funny:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordDemon
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to catch you.
Old 15 Sep 2005, 17:47   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

er...I thought vanilla marines were a no-name chapter, as in no special rules, no special characters. Ultra has Marneus, therefore not 'nilla, in my book. Storm Giants, they're vanilla.

Quote:
Old 15 Sep 2005, 23:03   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehouse1203
Hello, Im new to the game and I want to play Space Marines but I have no clue what chapter I want to play. Just wondering if I could get some info from some people to help decide what I would like to play.

Thanks
Bail out while you can! This game is a huge money sink!

I would suggest making the switch to chaos though. Chaos is a lot more fun than marines, as you have tons of modelling possibilities and army designs.

They play similar to marines, but the main difference is that Chaos rules. It's great playing true evil with demons running around and ugly Lords with tons of upgrades cutting holes through squads of mortal men.

Basically, not only do I think Chaos on the whole is a stronger army list than Marines, but I believe it's more fun to play. Up to you though. If you're set on marines, describe how you would like to go about fighting on the field. There a subtle differences among chapters and larger ones (blood angels, space wolves) but until we know what you like we cannot help you out.

Join the arena, and succumb to the eternal lust!
http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=9054.0
Closed Thread