Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Infiltration army
Closed Thread
Old 03 Sep 2005, 16:00   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Infiltration army

After getting a sound spanking at the hands of the Tau and Eldar yesterday I identified a large weakness in my army and that was getting my marines into bolter range. If there at such a long range from the Tau, there transports tend to get rail gunned to death and the pain of moving past that 12 diff in star cannon/bolter range hurts alot.
I was thinking of making a 1500 point force that can all infiltrate or deep strike, personaly I prefere infiltrate because it lets me get to work with massed fire from the get go, but I'm unsure of how to get the most 'bang for my bucks' I was wondering if anyone had tried this before or had some advice?

On a side note having 3 tempests die each on the turn they deep stirked in and loosing my Helious LR in 1 shot have given me much more respect for the Tau than maybe is healthy.
Old 03 Sep 2005, 16:26   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Spiritbw
Default Re: Infiltration army

Tempests? Helious? Okay, first bit of advice, stop playing with the Forge World models if they are not simply prettier parts of existing units/models in the codex. While there are stats for them the FW stuff hasn't been balanced with the rest of the army. Your probably loosing some effectivness by having them in there.

Second, you'll probably want to read up on the traits in the codex. The one your wanting would be 'See, but do not be seen'. Since this only works with troops you'll probably want to go with very few vehicles. Add things like Terminators which caqn always deepstrike and assault pods for those things not alloqwed to have infiltrate and your army won't be showing up till after your opponent deploys. It'll cost a pretty amount of points but can be effective if you know what your doing.
Old 06 Sep 2005, 17:09   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I usually play with a bunch of scouts with a heavy and snipers and then either assault marines or assault termies depending on point size. On top of that I throw in some speeders (tornado) and two dreads (one hellfire one regular). In this set up you have the ability to deal with anything on the field, the pinning is awesome against most low ld squads. The mass infiltration gives you the ability to set up last to react to your opponent (even if you deploy them in your starting edge). I always felt that tactical marines were better used with jump packs and a bolter and chainsword combo =) Perhaps a set-up like this would be more towards your playstyle and commanding style.
Old 06 Sep 2005, 17:45   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Maybe it can be difficult to infiltrate too much.. I mean you need somewhere too place everything aswell. So mixing a bunch of infiltrators with some deep striking like terminators and assault marines and maybe a drop pod or two could work out well. Remember to get a couple of teleport homers on the infiltrators for the sake of the terminators.
Old 07 Sep 2005, 00:03   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to Court Jester

Hi,

You do not use the infiltrate skill to get closer as such, you use it to get a better position over your opponent and as a result gain better board control.

How about something like this for a 1500 point army... (for fun... I do not own this army...)

HQ
Captain: Boltgun

ELITES
6 Marines: 4 Missle Launchers, Tank Hunters, Infiltrate

TROOPS
5 Scouts: Bolters
5 Scouts: Bolters, Heavy Bolter
5 Scouts: Sniper Rifles, Heavy Bolter
5 Scouts: Sniper Rifles, Heavy Bolter

HEAVY SUPPORT
6 Marines: 4 Heavy Bolters, Infiltrate

It packs a punch for sure.
Old 07 Sep 2005, 00:30   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to Skyblazer

I agree with Jester on his reasoning about the use of infiltrate. I am currently building an infiltrating Space Marine army myself, its plan of action while on the battlefeild is to gain rapid control of key positions for a quick and easy victory, and to seriously demoralize the opponent. I think that using a whirlwind with minelaying missiles might work with the list in order to herd the opponent torward your big guns, but have yet to test this theory.
Old 07 Sep 2005, 00:47   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I play with the wolves, wich provides a healthy headache for all my Guard and Tau opponents, while I can't go for the wholle mass infiletration thing, I've found that the one squad of scouts alowed to have behind enemy lines and one droppoding Ven. 'dread is enough of a distracionfor my opponets, who destroy my main army for a turn or two, then my my scouts and 'dread come on, even thoughmy dread can't assualt, IG don't like the phrase "burn baby, burn!" all that much. the scoutsthen assualt ethera broadside squad or a hammerhead (it's much esier with Pweps. and melta bombs) and every one else near ether moves away or piles in to kill me in seer wieght of numbers. this pretty much works for anyone one or two destaction squads, then hit 'um wit da beeg gunz. (this probable also works with eldar)

Tau 9/3/0 Space Wolves 50/28/15

RAAAAAARGH!
what now?
raaaaaargh.
oh.

I'll beat you down with my ukos!
whats ukos mean?
never mind
I can chew through metal bars, spit acid, carry in one hand weapons that normal men have to mount on tanks, I'm then ft. tall, can eat rocks, and your telling my I don't get lunch break?!?!?! I bet you do. mmmmhmmmm, riiiiight.
Old 07 Sep 2005, 07:44   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Thanks for the input folks, I did some work on the list idea and I realy like it, plus its going to add alot of fluf to my chapter.
One of the problems I have had in the past was anchoring my tactical units by having a missile launcher, both of the eldar players I play against have alot of vehicles in there armies and as such I spend most of my time lingering about instead of moving, I read alot of the tactica threads and decided to ditch the launcher and use a plasma gun for the extra punch, also allowing me to keep on the move.
I took see but not be seen as a trait and that allows me to infiltrate tactical squads, although I must admit if I had the models I would field some cheap scouts with bolters too. I use 2 dev squads in my list with infiltrate too, it lets me open up some nice fields of fire to his vehicles while keeping enough marines between the devs and the enemy to spoil him starcannoning me to Holy Terra and back.
I need to play test the list more and refine it, but I think with 3 squads holding him in his deployment area and 2 squads bombarding him with 4 launchers each per round (I hate spirit stones SO SO much) the main fighting is going to be contained. As such a Terminator command squad deep striking in should mean that they show up in a target rich enviroment.
I would love to fit in a whirlwind too, mines are effective at controling his units as they try and shoot round my flanks, but unless we point up to 1750 or so I am unsure where to get the points from to put it in action.
I should be testing my list out today at some point, I'll let u know how it works out and once its refined more I'll post it.

Thanks again, realy appreciate the ideas and advice.
Old 07 Sep 2005, 07:57   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Earlster:

Sounds intresting, and fun to play with. It's easy to overload on all the goodies, like heavy weapons and stuff... but if you want you're tacticals to advance ditch the heavyweapons for sure.

Let us no how it works out!

Auno Lissta: You should take some care and write a bit clearer. For me that don't have English as my first language it is hard to understand you're post. There is a "spell check" if you need it.
Thanks

Old 07 Sep 2005, 10:09   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontus
Remember to get a couple of teleport homers on the infiltrators for the sake of the terminators.
Yeah, it's always funny when people either ignore your scouts or try to assualt them as "easy pickings", only to have two assault cannons and three storm bolters materialize in their faces. Oops!

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
Closed Thread