Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

200pt Devestator Squad - Comments?
Closed Thread
Old 03 Sep 2005, 04:42   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default 200pt Devestator Squad - Comments?

Sergeant
- Terminator Honours, Power Fist
Plasma Cannon
Heavy Bolter
Heavy Bolter
Marines x3

200 Points dead on - any comments? My first attempt at a Marine squad of any kind, any input is welcome.
Old 03 Sep 2005, 10:58   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: 200pt Devestator Squad - Comments?

the range matches on the weapons, but the strength and AP are WAY off. Against HB-type targets, the potential of the plasma cannon is wasted, not to mention gets hot! I wouldn't fire the PC at all in that case. Against a PC target, the HBs are going to be marginally useful. The upgraded sergeant is a waste of points. He won't deter people from attacking the squad (which I assume is your intent), and the squad should NEVER seek CQC. Treat devastators like tau. avoid assaults like the plauge. I would strip the sergeant down to normal, then go with HBs or PCs, not a mix. The points saved on the upgraded sergeant should pay to upgrade the HBs to PCs, or you could go with 4 HBs and another marine or two, or just spend the points elsewhere.

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
Old 03 Sep 2005, 12:47   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Chton

Why does people whine about the plasma cannon all the time.
I would field as much plasma as humanly possible.
The chances of a space marine being burnt to a crisp by the gets hot rule,
are small. 1/6 chance the cannon overheats and 1/3 chance he dies.
But in this dev. squad I would put in a unupgradet sarge, 4x marines
at least 1x plasma cannon, 1x lascannon and 2x missile launchers.
My HB goes to the tac squads.
Old 03 Sep 2005, 13:49   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Thanks for the tips - stripping down the Sarge will be neccesary anyway, beceause in my haste I completely forgot to add the extra 3pts/model for Infiltration.

I'm still deciding what weapons to equip my tactical squads with, so please bear with me for v2.0 (coming later today).

EDIT: I have the Take the Fight to Them trait, I assume I should not make use of it so I have some more defensive ranged firepower.
Old 03 Sep 2005, 15:19   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chton
Why does people whine about the plasma cannon all the time.
I would field as much plasma as humanly possible.
The chances of a space marine being burnt to a crisp by the gets hot rule,
are small. 1/6 chance the cannon overheats and 1/3 chance he dies.
But in this dev. squad I would put in a unupgradet sarge, 4x marines
at least 1x plasma cannon, 1x lascannon and 2x missile launchers.
My HB goes to the tac squads.
Who's whining? Every one of my Dark Angels tactical squads sports a plasma cannon and at least one other plasma weapon. I tend to lose 1-2 plasma-toting maniacs per game, usually starting with a plasma cannon in turn 2, and I don't whine, complain, bitch, or carry on about it. But, since you want to get confrontational, your use of a plasma cannon is worse than Auin'Myrrath's. It costs as much as a lascannon for a weaker weapon and shorter range. Plasma is for heavy troops, not tanks.

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
Old 03 Sep 2005, 16:40   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Spiritbw

Must have been a while since I weighed in on Devastators. Anyhow...

I agree with march10k about the plasma in this little squad, I do not however agree with the comments of downgrading the sgt though a power weapon would be better than fist.

With the plasma it's because the weapon really is to specialized for it's points cost. Agaisnt most horde armies where it's blast template would be effective it's overkill as most could be delt with by a rocket launcher with the same effects. Against armour you might as well have a lascannon as it's better agaisnt them. Agaisnt heavy troops you might as well have a rocket launcher with it's krak rocket because such troops are unlikely to be bunched up to let you use that blast template to good effect. Add the 'Get's Hot!' and it's now got the role of the assault cannon in third edition, a weapon with more draw backs than advantages. It looks cool, but if your looking for something effective, any of the other weapon choices are better bang for your points.

The power weapon in the devastator squad isn't as bad an idea as some think. All to often your going to face someone who is going to charge some quick foot or infiltrating unit that will then charge in and tie up your heavy weapons squads. Thngs like Space Wolf Scouts, Necron Wraiths and Tyranid Gargoyles, Lictors, Genestealers, etc. Having a power weapon/fist just makes dealing with them alot quicker and easier and allows your unit to get back to doing what they do best, shooting.
Closed Thread