Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

want to start a ravenwing army but need advice.
Closed Thread
Old 31 Aug 2005, 18:30   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default want to start a ravenwing army but need advice.

well with my nids near the end of the painting and making, a month or 2 they shal be done so now its time to start planning my next army and id like a ravnewing army, fast and shooty, but dont no where to start, so any advice tactics good units would be most appriciated, the only thing ive decided on is my master will be on a bike.

thanks for any advice
Old 01 Sep 2005, 08:32   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: want to start a ravenwing army but need advice.

It's his funeral...

I personally find the Master of Ravenwing on speeder to be much better.

do an internet search for "fortress of unforgiven"

that's the most comprehensive dark angels website I've found. It has a lot more material on standard DA and on DW than RW, but if there's good advice to be had, that's where. Also try bolter and chainsword, a Tau forum might do for general Space Marine advice, but not for obscure splinter armies.

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
Old 01 Sep 2005, 09:56   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

thank you
Old 01 Sep 2005, 14:53   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

My recommendation is to try out the army first. Proxy it if you have to, but please, make sure you're ready for this kind of army. RavenWing is a very specialized and extremely difficult army to play/win with. I know winning isn't everything, but you at least want to be able to put up a good fight. And to invest so much money on an army that doesn't produce the results you want can be frustrating. I only say this because I've had two friends that I've known to play Ravenwing and they both ended up selling their armies in less than a year of game play. I've also played against them on numerous occations and I can tell you against: Eldar, Tyranids, Tau and Space Marines... Ravenwing just isn't effective. And since those are 4 big armies you'll see quite a bit of, it's best to think about your overall fun factor as well.

Armies like that while smaller in model count, are just doggedly expensive. (Considering you're basic infantry unit costs over 12 bucks a pop) If I were you and was thinking about the long haul, build a Dark Angels army around it and use the bikes in your theme as well. That way you won't be stuck with 25 - 30 bikes and 6 - 9 Landspeeders that you won't want to play anymore.

Not trying to completely dissuade you, just want to give you the real deal on specialized armies like the Ravenwing.

-SaturN
Old 01 Sep 2005, 15:42   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

im sure i want to use them after going threw all the other armies out there i want someonthing different, a fast bike army is exactly what im looking for, the feel of the army is what i want aswell, i no its few in numbers and will take alot of work to produce results with this army and i need to learn/adapt to every army i play, but yea i want to try this out.
Old 01 Sep 2005, 22:00   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

For a Ravenwing army, I'd use:
HQ:
Master of the Ravenwing in Landspeeder-255pts
Troops:
Five bikers, with close combat weapons, plus an attached attack bike with a multi-melta (270 pts)
Five bikers, with close combat weapons, plus an attached attack bike with a heavy bolter (255 pts)
Fast Attack:
3 Ravenwing Land Speeders with heavy bolters and assault cannons (240 Pts)
3 Ravenwing Land Speeders with multi-melta and assault cannon**** (285 Pts)
3 Ravenwing Land Speeders with heavy bolters and assault cannons (240 Pts)

1545 Points Total

**** Iím not 100% sure, but according to the update, it said nothing in regards of the Ravenwing Land Speeder. It just talks about the Battle Company Squadrons and how the Land Speeder choices are one as in Codex: Space Marines
Old 02 Sep 2005, 11:28   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

In spite of my loyalty to DA, I feel bound to advise you that white scars make a much better fast bike army.

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
Old 03 Sep 2005, 02:47   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Yes, and knan's chapters use of scouts makes sure the fight is brought o the face of the enemy. Extremely useful tactic against IG... But speeders will really help you ignore the terrain and swwop round the flank, which is usaully very effective. If you break his battleline, he is done. But with all fast armies, you probably will be vulnerable to shooting, so throw in some harder hitting troops if you plan on either army. Good hunting!

[img width=650 height=288]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a99/GeneralStankov/finalcopy.jpg[/img]
Old 04 Sep 2005, 20:43   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

do not take the master as a speeder a 255 point armor 10 vechile i mean come on a boltgun can blow it out of the sky.
take him on a bike with raven sword , iron halo and artificer armor. WHen you turboboost you get a 2+ inv very scary
Old 06 Sep 2005, 21:06   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

thats what i was gonna do lol, hes a good ic
Closed Thread