Default Where to from here?

Ok so Im trying to start a Space Marine army and so far I have this:

1 Chaplain
10 Tactical Marines, flamer, rocket launcher, sergeant
5 Assault Marines, sergeant
1 Landspeeder

I also have one assault termie with lightning claws.

Ok so Im going to add a commander and command squad but from there I really dont know. I need a static fire support unit to cover my soldiers advance, a mobile fire support unit (tank probably) and some elites with transports.

What would you all recomend to keep the army balanced but mobile?

Old 31 Aug 2005, 13:38   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Where to from here?

Wow,
I'm just starting and I have:
1 captain
3 x 9 SM tactical with flamer and M launcher and sargent
1 x vendicator
5 assault marines, pistol and chainsword

Interesting that we are collecting on similar lines.

I am planning on adding 5 more assult marines and 5 terminators. I also am thinking about putting all the M launchers into a single devistator squad with some heavy bolters and replace them in the tac squads with melta.

My plan is to start with devistators, vendicator, and one tactical on the board. Drop pod the terminators and other two tacticals and deepstrike the assult marines.

This should give me some decent anti infantry and anti armor (krak missles) at the start, as well as a couple of fast moving manuver squads and close assulting tacticals and terminators starting on turn 2. Nothing says loving like drop pods at 1" from the objective with 9 rapid firing bolters, a flamer and a melta

Wanax

Old 31 Aug 2005, 13:45   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

A dreadnaught is a solid investment. It can be equipped as either long-range fire support, with lascannon + rocket launcher, or close-range support/assault with assault cannon and CCW.

I wouldn't recommend mixing flamers & rockets in the same squad. I know it's what they come with, but they're not complimentary weapons. The Rocket launcher works best at long-range, while the flamer kind of demands that you advance your squad to get into range for it.

Picking up some (2) plasma gun marines might let you field 2 six man squads with rocket+plasma gun, and 2 10 man squads with loads of bolters and a flamer each.

That way, your two six man squads form your static firebase, and your two ten-man squads advance.
Old 31 Aug 2005, 13:49   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to the ginger omen

devastators

2 plasma cannons, one lascannon, one heavy bolter

"For the emporor Ragnar?"
"NO, for me"

svene days in sunny june-jamiraqui
jenny was a friend of mine-the killers
wiseman-James Blunt
Feel goon inc.- the gorilaz (who's first albulm was amazing)
Old 31 Aug 2005, 13:56   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

ummm...ginger omen: why that mix?? it seems a little...unfocussed to me

oh, and more assault marines sounds like an excellent idea...5 won't hack it in combat...and maybe a sergeant with a powerfist for it

"Well, a gathering is brie, mellow song stylings; shindig, dip, less mellow song stylings, perhaps a large amount of malt beverage; and hootenanny, well, it's chock full of hoot, just a little bit of nanny." Oz (Buffy, episode 2, season 3)

"I don't like coke, i just like the way it smells" Unknown

"and in the words of our lord and saviour, jesus christ, **** you if you can't take a joke" The Glass House
Old 31 Aug 2005, 16:16   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by the ginger omen
devastators

That's a confused composition! The heavy bolter is good for basic non-power-armor infantry, the plasma cannons are good for heavy infantry (especially deepstrikers!), and the lascannon is for heavy tanks. but all of those will have to shoot at the same thing. Bad Omen!

Vash, listen to redbeard, his advice is good. There's nothing I can add to it. It's the most cost-effective way to improve your force. two models.

The assault terminator is useless, unless you get more of them. The commander is the weakest HQ choice, I'd just stick with buying an assaulty HQ squad for the chaplain. IF you decide to get a second HQ, I'd go with a librarian.

If you get only one dreadnaught, pay the extra points to make him venerable, it's a GREAT investment in his survival. and yes, more assault marines are a must. 5 is a waste of points, they won't accomplish much.

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
Old 31 Aug 2005, 17:03   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Would a commander or a terminator armored captain be any good with a command squad? I dont have the new codex yet but looking at the stats from the old rulebook (which I dont think have changed) The commander is slightly better than the Librarian or Chaplain and at only 10 more points with a power weapon and storm bolter. He has one more wound and leadership. But without the rosarius or the psychic powers. I was thinking give him a command squad and mount them all in a razorback with twin linked lascannon and use it to bolster the center of an advance.

The assault squad I can easily boost to 10 but is a power fist on the sergeant the best option? Would a regular power sword be better since the power fist hits at initiative 1.

Are combi weapons any good under the new rules?

That is a good idea for the plasma guns thanks.

Is a Multi Melta on the landspeeder a reliable anti tank weapon?

Old 31 Aug 2005, 17:12   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

I like the advise thus far. 8)

I'm already changing my basic army organization

Wanax
Old 01 Sep 2005, 10:50   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash113
Would a commander or a terminator armored captain be any good with a command squad? I dont have the new codex yet but looking at the stats from the old rulebook (which I dont think have changed) The commander is slightly better than the Librarian or Chaplain and at only 10 more points with a power weapon and storm bolter. He has one more wound and leadership. But without the rosarius or the psychic powers. I was thinking give him a command squad and mount them all in a razorback with twin linked lascannon and use it to bolster the center of an advance.

The assault squad I can easily boost to 10 but is a power fist on the sergeant the best option? Would a regular power sword be better since the power fist hits at initiative 1.

Are combi weapons any good under the new rules?

That is a good idea for the plasma guns thanks.

Is a Multi Melta on the landspeeder a reliable anti tank weapon?

ok, if you're looking at the old codex, their abilities have changed somewhat...however, when it comes to equipping your HQ, the commander has the the best choice range...and, of course, the ability to make your whole force Ld 10

and the power fist is the best option, because nothing is gonna be able to pick out the sergeant. so basically, he'll get his licks in no matter what (unless you get annihilated, or annihilate the enemy...in which case, the loss of the power fist's attacks won't exactly be all that important). and if he's striking at str 8 rather than str 4, he's much more likely to be able to do some damage...plus there's the added bonus of being able to fight wraithlords, dreadnoughts, tyranid big bugs, and independent characters

and a multi-melta isn't the most reliable anti-tank weapon on a speeder, especially if you only have one...however, multi-melta speeders are great at drawing (and taking) a lot of fire

"Well, a gathering is brie, mellow song stylings; shindig, dip, less mellow song stylings, perhaps a large amount of malt beverage; and hootenanny, well, it's chock full of hoot, just a little bit of nanny." Oz (Buffy, episode 2, season 3)

"I don't like coke, i just like the way it smells" Unknown

"and in the words of our lord and saviour, jesus christ, **** you if you can't take a joke" The Glass House
Old 01 Sep 2005, 12:11   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to the ginger omen

Quote:
Originally Posted by march10k
Quote:
Originally Posted by the ginger omen
devastators

That's a confused composition!* The heavy bolter is good for basic non-power-armor infantry, the plasma cannons are good for heavy infantry (especially deepstrikers!), and the lascannon is for heavy tanks.* but all of those will have to shoot at the same thing.* Bad Omen!

Vash, listen to redbeard, his advice is good.* There's nothing I can add to it.* It's the most cost-effective way to improve your force.* two models.

The assault terminator is useless, unless you get more of them.* The commander is the weakest HQ choice, I'd just stick with buying an assaulty HQ squad for the chaplain.* IF you decide to get a second HQ, I'd go with a librarian.

If you get only one dreadnaught, pay the extra points to make him venerable, it's a GREAT investment in his survival.* and yes, more assault marines are a must.* 5 is a waste of points, they won't accomplish much.
ah yes to true i was thinking of long fangs, sorry

"For the emporor Ragnar?"
"NO, for me"

svene days in sunny june-jamiraqui
jenny was a friend of mine-the killers
wiseman-James Blunt
Feel goon inc.- the gorilaz (who's first albulm was amazing)
Closed Thread