Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Assault terminators
Closed Thread
Old 29 Aug 2005, 22:17   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Assault terminators

I was just wondering here on what you would take, a termi squad with lightning claws or thunder hammers. I Personally think that thunder hammers are the way to go. the can kill anything and they make your opponent strike slower and its high strengh can make it very valueable against vehicles. Also a very usefull thing to have is the Storm shield that comes with the hammer. The invulerable save is very usefull in CQW aginst opponents such as howling banshees. On the other hand with lighning claws you get the ability to re-roll to wound any failed wounds. not to mention the striking in iniative order.
I was wondering what is your opinion is toward this.
Old 30 Aug 2005, 04:48   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to CommanderNightstalker Send a message via Yahoo to CommanderNightstalker
Default Re: Assault terminators

If you want a general combat force, I'd go with half claws and half thunder hammers. That way, you still have the option to use the snippy-ness of the lightning claws to take out the power-fist equipped champions, and the thunder hammers as extra insurance so that if they are still alive after the snippy action, the smiting can force them to strike at Init 1 next assault phase (if they didn't die already). BUT, if you want them to be anti-big 'uns, then Storm Shields and Thunder Hammers are the way to go.
"Duty. Honor. Vigilance. These are the three values that you of the Shas Caste should have burned within your hearts. To live these values is to be a Fire Warrior of Ta'ran. It is these values that set us apart from our Sept Brethren. With Duty, Honor, and Vigilance on our minds, nothing can stand in our way."

- Commander Nightstalker
Old 30 Aug 2005, 06:01   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I'd take one thunder hammer for most squads, taking a second one on the 8th model, and a third on the 10th. Strength 4 power attacks in initiative order with an extra attack for having two of them, plus the rerolls? Priceless. I'd include the 1-3 thunder hammers more for vehicles and the occasional monstrous creature.

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
Old 30 Aug 2005, 10:21   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Lightning Claws as the majority I'd go for. They are much better vs Anti-Infantry, which is what you'll be using them for.

Thunder Hammers are more suited to combats involving big Monstrous Creatures and the like.

I don't have a Termy Assault Squad but they are just so appealing that i want one anyway Depending on the size I'd take a 2:1 ratio of Lightning Claws to Thunder Hammers, counting the Sergeant as a LC model for the sake of rounding up.
Old 30 Aug 2005, 11:57   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espi0N
Thunder Hammers are more suited to combats involving big Monstrous Creatures and the like.
or for any occasion you run into an independent character or dreadnought or wraithlord or tank...or hell, basically any multi-wound critter

"Well, a gathering is brie, mellow song stylings; shindig, dip, less mellow song stylings, perhaps a large amount of malt beverage; and hootenanny, well, it's chock full of hoot, just a little bit of nanny." Oz (Buffy, episode 2, season 3)

"I don't like coke, i just like the way it smells" Unknown

"and in the words of our lord and saviour, jesus christ, **** you if you can't take a joke" The Glass House
Old 30 Aug 2005, 13:25   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Indeed. I didn't make myself clear, "the like" being any sort of particularly tough multi wound character, as has been stated.

Old 30 Aug 2005, 14:43   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Ill be having a nice little 6 or 7 men unit with 3 hammers and 3-4 LCs!
And then Ill have em led by a chaplain with 2 LCs

thats ALOT of rerolls on both hitting and wounding.. Expensive yes, but dangerous!
Old 30 Aug 2005, 20:54   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quick question - I havn't bought my Codecies yet, but I do have an armless Force Commander waiting for weaponry. Is it possible to give a chara (in vanilla marines or any of the minidexes) a single Lightning Claw and a Thunder Hammer in the other hand?
Old 30 Aug 2005, 21:05   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Yes you just don't get the bonus attack for having 2 CCW because of the lighning claw special rule.
Old 30 Aug 2005, 21:29   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Ahh, thank you - "Dragon Slayer" pattern Force Commander, here I come! (Hit strong, reroll to ensure you wound, make sure they can't hit back - Fex's nightmare.)
Closed Thread