Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

drop pods at 750 points
Closed Thread
Old 24 Aug 2005, 18:13   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default drop pods at 750 points

I play alot of carnage at 750 points. it is from 3 to 5 people per table. I have been using Tau, but they aren't suited for this style game since CC rules the day. I am going to collect up a SM army specifically geared to win the carnage games.

My thoughts are along this line:

HQ:
Captain

Elite:

5 terminators with lighting claws

Fast:

2x 5 jump marines (1 sargeant)

Troops:

2x 8 man SM tactical Squad (1 sargent)
missile launcher, flamer

I want to drop pod everything but the jumpers. Tell me if this will work.

The central objective must be held with the most troops at the end of the game. Points lost don't matter. What matters is points on the objective at game end. I was thinking jump around with the assault squads and maybe shoot with one tactical squad until the other players are duking it out on the objective, then drop in with the rest of the units and kill off whatever they left of each other.

Thoughts?

Wanax

Fast Attack:
Old 27 Aug 2005, 11:19   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: drop pods at 750 points

looks solid. Podding in late is brilliant, you can't get shot if you're off the board, right? Also, do rules about half strength scoring units apply? The flamer in the tac squads is good because if you land on the OBJ, there's likely to be plenty of targets in range, and if not, they'll have to come to you eventually anyway.

I'd assume that there aren't too many vehicles in this format? If that means not too many anti-armor weapons, you might consider going with blood angels and podding a furioso dreadnaught or two onto the OBJ. They should have no trouble staying in CC in this particular type of game, and will absolutely rape anything they come up against in such close quarters.

Oh, and termies can deepstrike without the pod, dunno if you allotted points for them to have a pod (I can't remember if podded units can move, I know unpodded deepstrikers can't, so that may make a pod worthwhile). Consider taking 2 assault cannons in the terminator squad, they'll absolutely shred in shooting if dropped on the OBJ, but the CC ability of the squad will go down considerably.

I'd definitely take a chaplain or maybe librarian instead of a captain. LD 10 is the only thing the captain brings to the fight, but a chaplain excells at CC, while a librarian packs some powerful spells. Depending on you opponents, FotD on the OBJ can be a game-winner.

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
Old 27 Aug 2005, 11:47   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Where's the Captain going to go? With what unit?
Old 29 Aug 2005, 16:38   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

I'm totally new to SM and drop pods. I assume the captain would be IC. Also I know the terms can deep strike, but no one would suspect them in a drop pod.

In reading the codex, I noticed that on the turn drop pod troops must unload and can shoot, as can the pod. It states they cannot move except to assault. I assume that if I have furious assault, I can drop onto the objective, unload, shoot with assault weapons, and then assault.

Wanax
Old 30 Aug 2005, 06:15   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

that assumption would be correct, and given the ability to assault from the pod, assault terminators are a good choice, assuming the pod lands close enough (8 inches?) for them to be within charging distance after they unload from the pod. If you don't want to take that chance, 2 assault cannons and three stormbolters pack quite a punch, and 4 powerfists and one power sword aren't THAT bad in assault. Oh, it is legal to put lightning claws on the sergeant, but horribly expensive. I'd leave him stock, with power sword and storm bolter, regardless of whether you take shooty termies or assault termies.

Quote:
Old 30 Aug 2005, 11:46   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by march10k
that assumption would be correct, and given the ability to assault from the pod, assault terminators are a good choice, assuming the pod lands close enough (8 inches?) for them to be within charging distance after they unload from the pod.* If you don't want to take that chance, 2 assault cannons and three stormbolters pack quite a punch, and 4 powerfists and one power sword aren't THAT bad in assault.* Oh, it is legal to put lightning claws on the sergeant, but horribly expensive.* I'd leave him stock, with power sword and storm bolter, regardless of whether you take shooty termies or assault termies.
I rereading the codex, I don't think I can assault from the pod on the drop turn. it states "The passengers may not move (other than to disembark) or assault in the turn they land." My memory interposed the parenthetic bracket around the "or assault". So no they can't assault from the pod, only shoot.

Wanax
Old 30 Aug 2005, 13:01   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

In that case, you're better off taking a shooty terminator squad. You'll get more kills that way, assuming you stay out of hand2hand for at least a turn, since you lose a turn sitting around doing nothing with assault terminators. Assuming you land on turn 2, you get 5 turns of shooting versus 4 turns of slicing and dicing with the assault models. Of course, the assaulty ones get an extra attack for the pair of lightning claws, so if you land on turn 2 and immediately get assaulted by a mob of IG conscripts, you'll do better with the claws. In pretty much any other case, the assault cannons and storm bolters will produce more kills, due to the extra turn of rolling dice. This gets more pronounced the later in the game the terminators come out of reserves. At turn 2, it's almost a tossup, but at turn 3, you're already looking at 4 turns of shooting versus 3 turns of slashing, a 33% difference. by turn 4 (if you don't get them till turn 5, buy new dice!), you're looking at 2 turns versus 3, a 50% difference. Of course, stormbolters don't do much against power armor, so if all available targets have 3+ saves, charge in and let the powerfists do the talking.

Before they were nerfed by 4th edition, Deathwing had the best of both worlds, being able to mix assaulty and shooty termies in the same squad. Imagine, 2 ass cannons, 2 sets of claws, 2 powerfists, a strombolter, and a power sword, in the same squad! On the other hand, the typical deathwing army had 20 models!

Quote:
Old 30 Aug 2005, 14:53   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Id go with a shooty terminator unit!

Just imagine 2 ass cannons ripping upp 8 sixes on the board, followed by the 6 shoots from the stormies, and seeing those badass nidz warriors plummel into the earth!