Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

SM HQ tactica
Closed Thread
Old 22 Aug 2005, 17:18   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default SM HQ tactica

I dont think this topic has been asked. if it has, i apologise.

as stated, the tpic is simply "SM HQ tactica".

Look at the new SM codex. 3 HQ choices. a commander, chaplain, and librarian. Lets take a standard 1500 pointer game.
what is the best way to use/equip these guys.
How can using these guys help a SM army.
One HQ, or two?

I'm looking at all 3. the guy that stands out for me above the other two is the librarian. though the tau player in me dislikes him for his ability to drop pod in and use FotD, and make half my army run like cowards. the unbiased part of me looks at this guy and sees massive potential, that gives so much to a SM force.
OK, he has wounds, good skills, and a psychic hood, and force weapon. and psychic powers. i think every SM army should take one of these guys.

How many times have you played an eldar list, especially an ulthwe one, where psychic powers are screaming around. fortune, mind wars etc. So, screw the coneheads! the psychic hood is a very useful piece of kit, allowing you the chance to negate any of their powers. Hell, it does not even stop here. tyranid psychic powers. chaos psychic powers. all are nice meat.
He has a force weapon. inflict a wound, leadership test, other guy falls dead. Brilliantly perfect for that damned 5 wound carnifex, or 5 wound 250+ point nurgle daemon prince.

Look at fear of the darkness, IMO the best power he has. *squint* and half the other guys are running. tau, infantry guard, dark eldar, and normal eldar are very weak against this. then, there are daemons. i think tihs is legal, but pull a FotD on a squad of bloodletters, and they take an instability check at ld6. how's that for a cheap way to kill daemons?

So, how do you kit this guy out? My opinion is of any commanders, this guy is deserving of an iron halo. in a tourney setting, when charging monstrous creatues that invunerable save will prove invaluable. give him a bolt pistol for that extra attack. mobility wise, what does he get? i resist the temptation to say jump pack, as the chappie is better with this piece of kit. Bikes? are they effective? My opinion is to leave him on foot, and attach him to the Drop pods squad that should be in your army if it proves necessary. otherwise, stick him with a transport mounted squad.

Next up, the chaplain.
Obviously, he's a tasty mutha. very good in close combat. pwer weapon. invunerale save. litanies of hate. nothing else needs to be said but to take an assault squad, a veteran with powerfist, and chaplain. give him a jump pack. and bolt pistol. and charge the heathens! this guy is stupidly straight forward. he's a pure assault kind of guy, and should be taken with your best assault sqauds. jump packers are the most obvious. however, terminators, or termie assault squads, are also homes for this guy. the re-roll failed attacks on the most brutal SM cc unit is a very tasty option. still, not many people use termies, so assault squads will be the first choice.
to take, or not to take? My opinion is, if you have an assault squad, he's worth taking. otherwise, no.

Finally, the commander.
good stats, but lacks character is my opinion. still, he does give ld10 to everything. and thats good.
My own opinion is this guy is lacking. he can get all the kit, but as far as i see, the other two options offer far more to a SM army than this guy. he has little place in an assault army, as chaplain, and librarian are better. he has no place in a shooty army, as he'll be wasted. even the ld10 thing is not so great, as veterans give ld9 to SM squads, and they're pretty cheap, by all standards.
when it comes to commander, i fail to see a use for him that cant be done by other elements in the SM list. So, this one is really up to everyone here to discuss.

Overall then, should only one SM commander be taken, or two? Hmm. its tricky. tooled up they can cost 250_ points between the two, but they do give a lot to an SM army. it all comes down to whats in the list, but i am tending to lean towards having a chaplain, and librarian. they offer a lot, its that simple.

I think, when it comes to marines, and i'd take a balanced force. i would take an assault squad, so the chaplain has a home. If i'd take a second (and the thought tempts me) i would give librarian a jump pack, and have him lead them, though chaplian does a better job. otherwise, id stick librarian in a drop pod squad, or rhino squad, which i feel also have a place in an Sm army.

Ok, so that is my view. please, discuss, and leave your own opinions, scent trails, and fecal matter on this thread.

"What warriors of men can stand beside the Space Wolves! The Sons of Fenris they are, hardened in the forge of their harsh world, eager for battle and honour. They are the grey warriors, ashen like the wolf, whose greatest joy is to hear the clamour of steel amidst the din of war. None can step before them, they are the first, proud in their strength and jealous of their renown. Through the storms of the warp they come, upon the very tides of terror, but of such dangers they are uncaring. They are the Space Wolves, the Undefeated, the bane of the Emperor's foes."
Old 22 Aug 2005, 19:40   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to arguleon-veq
Default Re: SM HQ tactica

You could have all 3 with the Commanders command squad as the others can join it.

Personally I just always take a Captain as it's just fluffy, sometimes with a Librarian as they often accompany Captains in the fluff as an advisor. I'd only take a Force Commander in a really big game [2500+ Points games]. But thats just me and is only based on fluff.

The Librarian is probably the best and most powerful option. I also think Viel of Time is great too if he is planning on really getting stuck into combat.

I think its reasonable to take 2 HQ choices, as Librarians rarely lead a force, so a Chaplain or Captain to lead and the Librarian as support, or Captain to lead and Chaplain as support. I'd take the Chaplain as support in a really assault geared army.

Old 23 Aug 2005, 01:48   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Spiritbw

Hate to disappoint you. There is a bit of a Work In Progress in the projects section that is the boards current tactica about Marines.
Old 23 Aug 2005, 10:26   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

thankyou spirit. i was gonna point this out last night, but i was in somewhat of a hurry (as, unfortunately, i will be for the next week or so...so behave. i'll still be checking up on you rowdy lot)

"Well, a gathering is brie, mellow song stylings; shindig, dip, less mellow song stylings, perhaps a large amount of malt beverage; and hootenanny, well, it's chock full of hoot, just a little bit of nanny." Oz (Buffy, episode 2, season 3)

"I don't like coke, i just like the way it smells" Unknown

"and in the words of our lord and saviour, jesus christ, **** you if you can't take a joke" The Glass House
Old 24 Aug 2005, 12:47   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to wyrd_ian

I say we should continue with this thread as he is discussing all three HQ not just the one & this can always be added to the tactica later.

In my army I'm taking a librarian with yes you named it Fear of the dark with a bolt pistol & combat shield as I like to keep things cheap & a Field commander Ld 10 all round. I try to avoid making combat kings instead I see what they can do as a Leader so this combo works wonders.

-Disney: He's the puppet master, both our damnation and salvation. He rewards our successes and punishes us for our hubris (often in subtle but horrible ways). I suggest we do our best not to anger him, he is the greatest asset to our campaign and potentially the most fearsome foe we'll ever face.
Old 25 Aug 2005, 00:24   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Spiritbw

Aka, the tactica has info on all three HQ types. Please read through before posting when directed to other points on the board.
Old 25 Aug 2005, 18:12   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritbw
Aka, the tactica has info on all three HQ types.* Please read through before posting when directed to other points on the board.
slight correction - its my opinion on the 3 HQ choices. the thread esists to discuss said commanders, and find their best uses/ loadouts, and combinations.

but 5 posts. hmm. it aint going anywhere fast! ;D

"What warriors of men can stand beside the Space Wolves! The Sons of Fenris they are, hardened in the forge of their harsh world, eager for battle and honour. They are the grey warriors, ashen like the wolf, whose greatest joy is to hear the clamour of steel amidst the din of war. None can step before them, they are the first, proud in their strength and jealous of their renown. Through the storms of the warp they come, upon the very tides of terror, but of such dangers they are uncaring. They are the Space Wolves, the Undefeated, the bane of the Emperor's foes."
Closed Thread