Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Salamanders vs Iron Hands
View Poll Results: please vote which army I should collect (please do not vote for an army because you collect them or
Salamanders (CODEX: Armageddon) 8 50.00%
Iron Hands (Index Astartes) 2 12.50%
Iron Hands (Traits) 6 37.50%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old 11 Aug 2005, 10:25   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Salamanders vs Iron Hands

After thinking about which chapter I should collect I narrowed it down with the following "must haves", it had to
-be a first founding chapter
-be reasonably diverse in army structure
-be original and not some prissy popular chapter that everyone goes for (not blood/dark angels, no offense dark/blood angel collectors)
so I have narrowed it down to either Salamanders (codex armageddon) or Iron Hands (either index astartes or traits), but I cannot decide which one to choose so I am going to let you all help, please vote as to which army you think I should collect, then it would be nice if you posted about it and gave me goods and bads about the army.
thanks.
My WIP Prussian themed Imperial Guard Army - Because you&#39;ve all asked for it!

JAGGED ALLIANCE &#39;09 - Bottled in Scotland (please enjoy responsibly) - Tau Empire
ARCANACON &#39;10 - PWNaVIC - Tau Empire: Veteran Cadre Pegasus - The Dal&#39;yth Oldbloods
BAMBASH - Shas&#39;El von Richthofen&#39;s Flying Circus - Tau Empire - Allied with Imperial Guard

- I survived the SEBF 24hr Painting Challenge!
- One of the last surviving members of the Blue Lake Battlegroup at Compton Hall :P
Old 11 Aug 2005, 10:28   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Salamanders vs Iron Hands

really, i personally think this is a choice you should be making rather than letting others choose for you...so i&#39;d suggest taking a closer look at the minis for each army, and reading more about the fluff, and thinking what you could do with each chapter...then decide
"Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cozy, doesn&#39;t try it on" Billy Connolly

"Well, a gathering is brie, mellow song stylings; shindig, dip, less mellow song stylings, perhaps a large amount of malt beverage; and hootenanny, well, it&#39;s chock full of hoot, just a little bit of nanny." Oz (Buffy, episode 2, season 3)

"I don&#39;t like coke, i just like the way it smells" Unknown

"and in the words of our lord and saviour, jesus christ, **** you if you can&#39;t take a joke" The Glass House
Old 11 Aug 2005, 10:37   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

well I was also looking for , as I said "ups" and "downs" on each army which is mainly what I am after at the moment
My WIP Prussian themed Imperial Guard Army - Because you&#39;ve all asked for it!

JAGGED ALLIANCE &#39;09 - Bottled in Scotland (please enjoy responsibly) - Tau Empire
ARCANACON &#39;10 - PWNaVIC - Tau Empire: Veteran Cadre Pegasus - The Dal&#39;yth Oldbloods
BAMBASH - Shas&#39;El von Richthofen&#39;s Flying Circus - Tau Empire - Allied with Imperial Guard

- I survived the SEBF 24hr Painting Challenge!
- One of the last surviving members of the Blue Lake Battlegroup at Compton Hall :P
Old 11 Aug 2005, 12:05   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

If you want ups and down, call MalveuX, he&#39;ll help you with that...

I&#39;d go salamanders because they ahve an awesome colour scheme, and not many players can resist a load of meltaguns...
Old 11 Aug 2005, 14:27   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to arguleon-veq

I personaly don&#39;t think its a great idea to use lists from Index Astrates and/or Codex Armageddon. There are a lot of indescrepencies between these and the 4th Ed rules. The Traits do a good job of replacing these and that is pretty much why the Traits for particular armies that have been in supplement codexes have been included in Codex Space Marines.

So, that said.....I&#39;d go for Trait Salamanders.

They are a close range fire-power army. They are resiliant and have nice imagery and fluff. They also give you great scope to include FW things like the Land Raider Prometheus and Inferno Cannons on Dreadnaughts.
Old 13 Aug 2005, 01:45   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Shirrin

I would go with Iron hands, alot less common plus they have alot to offer for conversion oppurtunity. Plus lots of dreads is always fun.
Old 13 Aug 2005, 02:32   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shas&#39;O Shir&#39;Rin
I would go with Iron hands, alot less common plus they have alot to offer for conversion oppurtunity. Plus lots of dreads is always fun.
I voted for the Iron Hands using Traits. I did this becasue, well they are rare. Very few players use them. Also, THey have the ability to use immense firepower, being able to us devastator squads as elite and saving all thier heavy support for armour... Lastly, they are the best because as has been mentioned they other 2 are on the verge of legality, in fact the old Iron hands list isn&#39;t legal...

Hail Olianus Pious! Patron Saint of the Imperial Guard! Savior of the Emperor!
Old 13 Aug 2005, 09:01   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

Armageddon Codex Salamanders. Awesome army, not unbalanced like other armies are (*cough*Blacktemplars*cough*) and damn fun to play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 13 Aug 2005, 09:14   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Aun’o Tash’var Shin’jin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
not unbalanced like other armies are (*cough*Blacktemplars*cough*)
now thats not very nice Wargamer ;D *cough*but true*cough* ;D, i like the Salamanders, Thunder Hammers galore.
Iron Hands seem like they have a bit more room for converting, which&#39;d be good, but i hate &#39;Black and White&#39; colour scemes... theres too many already out there. (Raven Guard, Black Templars, etc. etc)
Eidt by JD: I dunno how you managed to read it after the changes FT
Edit by AC: JD you&#39;ve spelt edit incorrectly...
Edit by WG: I just wanted to be part of the moment. :P
Old 13 Aug 2005, 17:47   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Iron Hands. I personally find the imagery and colour scheme of Salamanders a bit bland. To think I tried collecting them once...

Iron hands appeal to me a lot more now. The Tactical Squad box with that Sergeant.. Wow. They just seem like something so new and different that I want to try them. They are like Marines, but to me, have a more sinister edge. One that could quite possibly attract the attentions of the Ruinous Powers.

Can anyone else see the Iron Hands becoming too obsessed with Bionics and all the rest of it that Slaanesh comes a calling ? I can..

Anyway, I&#39;d go with Iron Hands.