Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

How many have taken "too many marines" into account before choosing an army?
View Poll Results: Did you consider how many Marine players there are?
No, I just took Marines without a second thought. 7 18.92%
Um, I just bought an old starter set with Marines in it. 5 13.51%
I hesitated, took Marines anyway, and maybe felt a little guilty. 2 5.41%
I thought about it, and took Marines purely to annoy people. 1 2.70%
I really only enjoy playing/modelling Marines. 4 10.81%
I have multiple armies, a scant few of which are Marine. 16 43.24%
I have multiple armies, most or all of which are Marine. 2 5.41%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old 27 Jul 2005, 02:29   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to DireStrike Send a message via MSN to DireStrike
Default How many have taken "too many marines" into account before choosing an army?

The question is obviously for Marine players only. I realize some of the questions overlap situationally; just choose whichever one you most strongly identify with. It's just an internet poll after all.

And if you choose option 4 or 7, I shall shake my fist at you in contempt! > :P
Old 27 Jul 2005, 03:28   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: How many have taken "too many marines" into account before choosing an army?

well. for me i wanted a fairly close combat based army so i hessitated looked at other armies, and went for space wolves.
Old 27 Jul 2005, 03:41   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to epc-Felix
Default Re: How many have taken "too many marines" into account before choosing an army?

I collected Tau Screwed up the paint job, got bored of them gave up 40k for a year then found out SM's were getting a new Codex so i bought it and loved them. Crimson fists YAH!
Old 27 Jul 2005, 03:51   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Spiritbw

I bought my first Marines because I liked the models. When I found out there was a game based around it I figured it was just as well to get the army the models where from. I still like them and prefer them, but I do play other armies and plan to collect and field still others in future.
Old 27 Jul 2005, 05:33   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

space wolves just looked too damn cool for me to ignore ...and i've stuck with 'em for 8 years now (and started into 13th co, which are also awesome fun )...oh, and additionally, nothing is more fun for me to paint'convert

nowadays, the only other army that really tempts me is witch-hunters

"Well, a gathering is brie, mellow song stylings; shindig, dip, less mellow song stylings, perhaps a large amount of malt beverage; and hootenanny, well, it's chock full of hoot, just a little bit of nanny." Oz (Buffy, episode 2, season 3)

"I don't like coke, i just like the way it smells" Unknown

"and in the words of our lord and saviour, jesus christ, **** you if you can't take a joke" The Glass House
Old 27 Jul 2005, 10:06   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

I began in Fantasy and only came to 40k because of Tau. But I use the same style in both universes. I have my first army picked because of its style and appeal, then I like to choose an opposing army equally interesting. That way I can always have a different army to mix it up or even bring in new player with...

So, when the new Codex came out for the Marines I jumped at it. Plus I think that the new style GW went for with all the spiffy accesories has me excited like a lion at an elephant carcass...
Old 27 Jul 2005, 12:35   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Although im a marine player and didnt even consider it, this may sound a bit biased but i dont think you can have too mnany marine armies in 40k purely because the imperium is arguably in the top 4 largest forces in the 40k universe (next to nids, orks and chaos). Plus marines are a good balanced army that can be personalised easily so it is no wonder that there are so many SM players
Come on everybody sing along with me!
(Yes I maybe insane but unless you want me and my very nice friends in silver hunting you down I would keep quiet about it, alright?)
Old 27 Jul 2005, 13:03   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

i started out with Marines after a friend and i bought and split The Battle For Macragge starter box, and thought i have bought nearly every army they are still one of my faves because they are so good allround, and are easily customisable

Old 27 Jul 2005, 13:52   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to arguleon-veq

Well I have 8 40K armies at the moment:

Ulthwe
Orks
Harlequins
Violators
Arbites
World Eaters (I've been trying to get rid of them for so long)
Necrons (Trying to get rid of these too)
Salamanders

The Salamanders being the latest army I have started collecting (the list is in no order by the way).

I have had small Tau, Guard, Dark Eldar armies but ony small forces which I got rid of (Tau and Guard I'm actually getting back into at the moment). So the only force I've never really had a go at is Tyranids (something which I plan to in the future).

So I chose the multiple armies with the few Marines option. I wanted a balanced army that I could really go for close ranged fire-power in. Plus I quite like the fact that Marines are so amazing in the fluff but come undone when used in roles they aren't meant for. I also wanted an army that is easy to paint as I hate painting.

Also from my experience Marines are one of the hardest if not the hardest army to master in the game, so I wanted a challenge.

I have lost 1 game with my Ulthwe who normaly rip through enemy forces like they aren't there.
I have lost 1 game with my Orks against Speed Freaks, my Orks normally pull out decent wins (nothing spectacular like my Ulthwe).

Now, my other four losses all come from my Marine lists; Violators and Salamanders and these are quite recent additions to my armies (not been around for 6-8 years like my Orks and Ulthwe). I have lost two games with each, with my Violators it is probably because the force is very weak in order to fit with the fluff but the Salamanders although fluffy I have still attempted to make the decent on the gaming table yet I have lost twice with them.

So I think that Marines armies are the best choice for vets looking for a challenge.
Old 27 Jul 2005, 17:31   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

I started on Marines, which have been used as Codex, Blood Angels, Dark Angels, Iron Hands and Space Wolves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Closed Thread