Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

13th company tactics
Closed Thread
Old 25 Jul 2005, 09:56   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default 13th company tactics

Hi, im kinda new to 13th company, i've made army lists and have got the codex but im not entirely sure on tactics (apart from the obvious). does anyone have any useful tactics for grey slayers, storm claws etc that have been successful for them.

If it helps here is a sample list ive come up with which i think is about 1500-1600pts
HQ:
Wolf Lord- M.C frost blade, Bolt pistol, belt of russ, mark of wulfen
10 Storm Claws Bodyguard- 2 power weapons, power fist, wolf guard pack leader

Wolf Priest- Crozius Arcanum and Rosarius
10 Wulfen Guard

Troops:
2x 10 grey slayers- 2 meltaguns, wolf guard pack leader w/ power fist

Heavy Support:
5 long fangs- 1 lascannon, 3 missile launchers, pack leader
Come on everybody sing along with me!
(Yes I maybe insane but unless you want me and my very nice friends in silver hunting you down I would keep quiet about it, alright?)
Old 27 Jul 2005, 06:17   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: 13th company tactics

ummm...fairly simple: storm claws and the lord go up a flank, wulfen up the other, hunters advance forwards to lay down fire then get into the thick of it

however, can i suggest you beak the fangs into 2 squads of 3, each with 2 missile launchers...oh, and last i checked, famgs couldn't be assigned a pack leader...i'll give a more thorough commentary at a later date (when i'm not just about to finish class)

"Well, a gathering is brie, mellow song stylings; shindig, dip, less mellow song stylings, perhaps a large amount of malt beverage; and hootenanny, well, it's chock full of hoot, just a little bit of nanny." Oz (Buffy, episode 2, season 3)

"I don't like coke, i just like the way it smells" Unknown

"and in the words of our lord and saviour, jesus christ, **** you if you can't take a joke" The Glass House
Old 27 Jul 2005, 06:53   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I should have made it clearer, i am looking for proven tactics to destroy tanks on the field as in larger battles there maybe 3+ tanks which is kinda hard for to deal with on their own and yes long fangs CAN have a pack leader its in the codex sat right next to me
(Yes I maybe insane but unless you want me and my very nice friends in silver hunting you down I would keep quiet about it, alright?)
Old 28 Jul 2005, 07:50   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

about the fangs unless there s a major issue with line of sight i dont see the point of splitting them up because they have the fire control ability
Old 28 Jul 2005, 08:28   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

ignore the fire control ability...first casualty the pack takes will destroy that...but the reason i split them up isn't to get better fire control, its to extend their survivability...

oh, and you might wanna re-read the long fangs entry for 13th co...they MUST have a long fangs pack leader, who can't have any gear bar what he comes with...but there is NO option for a wolf guard pack leader...and i have the codex: eye of terror right in front of me ...doesn't matter much, i know both it and the space-wolf codex pretty damn well, short of biker and jump-pack options

as for proven tactics...storm-claw bikers with 2 meltaguns or 2 powerfists can do some serious damage...grey slayers with meltaguns if you can get 'em close enough...enough missile launcher shots will drag a tank down...however, hands down the most popular tactics is a rune priest teleporting with a squad of long-fangs, all with meltaguns and the priest with a plasma pistol

"Well, a gathering is brie, mellow song stylings; shindig, dip, less mellow song stylings, perhaps a large amount of malt beverage; and hootenanny, well, it's chock full of hoot, just a little bit of nanny." Oz (Buffy, episode 2, season 3)

"and in the words of our lord and saviour, jesus christ, **** you if you can't take a joke" The Glass House
Old 28 Jul 2005, 18:33   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

why ignore fire control using that ability i can spread my fire and stand a good chance of destroying two armoured vehicles with one squad and IMO if i start letting my long fangs take casualties i would begin to question my approach to the battle and the cover i put them in
Old 28 Jul 2005, 18:38   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I will admit the power weapon is wrong though and have made the changes
Old 29 Jul 2005, 01:12   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

please stop double-posting. if you need to add more to your original post, there is an edit function

and as for losing long-fangs...it'll happen. they're the most immediate threat to your opponents heavy weapons and tanks, so they're what he'll hit first, with weapons that match your fangs range. and remember, if your fangs can see your opponent, your opponent can see your fangs. so don't assume that they won't take casualties...as for breaking them up into 2 smaller squads...you have the option of firing four ways, or 2, or one...depending on how your luck holds...and you still get to split fire after the death of the pack leader...plus your opponent has to kill 2 pack leaders, and all your firepower won't be in one spot, waiting on a single pie-plate...essentially, splitting your fangs up doubles their survivability (unless you're going for teleporting fangs...in which case i'd take a full pack...)

Old 31 Jul 2005, 11:26   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Spaceknight

Dude number one its 13th company not space wolfs its different, number two the codex is the main guide to building an army so it does matter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Im dyislexic dont hate me for it
Old 31 Jul 2005, 11:36   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

wow, 13th company heh?? never woulda realised that if you hadn't pointed that out :

i know they have different methods in terms of play...and i happen to have a grasp of both, having actually PLAYED both. so get more background on the person you're trying to question next time :

oh, and for the record: long fangs aren't even worth using in a regular space wolf army. they're no substitute for a predator...however, my experience with 13th company says long fangs are good, and that more smaller packs are better...hell i even provided extremely sound reasoning for it.

oh, and was the last bit of your post aimed at my attitude to the split fire ability?? if so, you should read again...i've explained why its fairly useless

Closed Thread