Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

4th Edition vs 3rd Edition
Closed Thread
Old 25 Jul 2005, 00:53   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Send a message via ICQ to kxpx Send a message via AIM to kxpx Send a message via Yahoo to kxpx
Default 4th Edition vs 3rd Edition

This post isn't so much to discuss the changes in the rules, but moreso the changes in style of play. I've been playing 40k since the start of 3rd edition. I enjoyed it very much and went through a ton of armies liking them all one varying degree to another. However, as I moved 4th edition was on the horizon. I've not played 40k in about 9 months now. It's quite apparent that the style of gameplay has shifted, after talking with several of my friends. With that in mind, I was looking for some basic advice to help me transition back into the GW realm.

I am starting a Raven Guard army (as I sold my Iron Warriors when I moved) and would like to get some general feedback on that chapter. I've always been one to field very 'shooty' armies, lots of heavy support and firepower. (surprisingly I never had a full guard army)

This army seems to be a good counterpart to my Dark Eldar army (which almost seems impossible to work with under these new rules) that it's got some staying power, it's fast for a space marine army, and the history/fluff is fantastic.

With this army though, I see a few hardships both on the table and off. Firstly, shoulderpads. I'm a big fan of the pre-cast metal shoulder pads, they make the model look more professional and crisp. Slide transfers are clumsy and the quality of the GW transfer is poor at best. Freehand while an option, is not really a viable one but I fear it may be the only way, I was hoping someone had some information on this aspect.

Secondly, the colorscheme. I understand the basic black/white part but in the new Marine 'dex there are pictures with a dark red band and one that looks to be beaten copper. The red band seems to go with the Index Astartes article for assualt squad, but I couldn't find any information on the beaten copper. I'm wanting to stay true to 'fluff' on this one - and I'm thinking it was just the painters preference to unify - but I just wanted to make sure.

Lastly, at the end of the IA article, there are some rules. Surgical Strike, Rapid Reaction, Limited Vehicles, Bitter, Raven Guard Command Squad.

I can see how Limited Vehicles has been replaced by "flesh over steel" and there is an entry for raven guard command squad. However, are they still bitter - or did the edition change mellow them out. I haven't been keeping up with the White Dwarfs to see if these guys had a small rules re-write or stricly "as is" following the traits (or not following the traits as the case may be) in the new 'Dex.

On the table, these guys seem to be pretty tactically flexible, albeit they also seem to have those rules in place to force you to follow their combat doctrine. Lacking firepower in this edition seems to be a bad idea to me (again, haven't played it so any imput on this subject would assist greatly) as the focus has shifted somewhat away from assault. I know that the shooting phase in 3rd edition had to be done all out (shooty army) or just enough to get your guys into H2H to be effective. Since this is an H2H I'm wondering if it's worth taking things like razorbacks with las since the transport takes up a FA slot, or if I should go the route of drop pod. That would save me points on the Razorback / Rhino but doesn't seem as tacticaly flexable - or I should say it seems two-fold. When I played, I used my transports as moving cover for my assault troops, foot troops, etc.. since they blocked LOS and it helped me delpoy the few H2H units I had into combat safely. (I did the same with my Dark Eldar - since vehicles blocked LOS back then, 9 skimmers was a nice army to have). The land speeders did this role at that time as well, riding a 3 deep flank to an expensive unit. So any ideas on this army and how the new rules play into tactics would be a phenominal help.

Thanks,
-K
Old 25 Jul 2005, 10:09   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: 4th Edition vs 3rd Edition

I play a BA successor chapter similar to the raven guard and my general tactics are to build tactical squads that can dig in, dish out alot of fire power and still do a good job in cc (thank god for traits!). Although i dont use heavy weapons i would strongly recomend getting a missile launcher for any tactical squad you have so that they can deal with both infantry and tanks if need be, its far cheaper than a razorback and in my opinion works just as well. I also tend to use scout squads in a high role than usual, taking on troops at a distance with a heavy bolter and then doing damage in cc. Since you are playing raven guard i'd say assault squads are essential, jump pack troops are used by the guard to manouver through enemy lines and surgically strike opponents down with little loss of life. I dont know about anyone else but looking at the raven guard points are better spent on assault troops, decent scout sqauds, the right weaponry & drop pods to position troops in the best position.
Come on everybody sing along with me!
(Yes I maybe insane but unless you want me and my very nice friends in silver hunting you down I would keep quiet about it, alright?)
Old 25 Jul 2005, 20:40   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

Please note that the correct Raven Guard colour scheme is black. Red trim is for Assault units, green trim is for tactical units. I don't know devastator units...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 25 Jul 2005, 21:25   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Hunter

There are chapter traits in the new Space Marine codex for the Raven guard, these should help you with some special qualities for your army.

Old 25 Jul 2005, 21:38   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Send a message via ICQ to kxpx Send a message via AIM to kxpx Send a message via Yahoo to kxpx

Quote:
I dont know about anyone else but looking at the raven guard points are better spent on assault troops, decent scout sqauds, the right weaponry & drop pods to position troops in the best position.
That being said, do the drop pods count against my fast attack slots like the Rhino and Razorback? The Flesh Over Steel trait is pretty restrictive. The way I've got my list now it's forcing me to take a little different army comp than I'd like.

http://www.kxpx.net/ravenguard.htm

That is the prototype army list I'm working off of now.
Old 26 Jul 2005, 06:11   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

No they are transport vehicles costing 30pts each. If you feel the list is too restrictive then you could start a sucessor chapter which means you get to chose the traits while keeping the style of battle and fluff
Come on everybody sing along with me!
(Yes I maybe insane but unless you want me and my very nice friends in silver hunting you down I would keep quiet about it, alright?)
Closed Thread