Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Blood Angels: You'd be crazy not to take a Storm Raven Gunship.
Old 10 Mar 2010, 16:39   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Jedibean
Default Blood Angels: You'd be crazy not to take a Storm Raven Gunship.

So I've had a chance to take a look at the new Blood Angels Codex at my Local GW and I've gotta tell you it's a beautiful thing. Along the same lines as the Ork Codex and the Imperial Guard codex there isn't a single bad choice anywhere in the book. All of the units and vehicles that I got a chance to look at were, at worst, good. The best units in their new Codex are absolutely awesome. Not to say that anything in the new Codex is over powered or ridiculous. Everything that I saw was appropriately expensive. However, there were some standout units and vehicles which is the point of this post. The one that REALLY stuck out in my mind was the Storm Raven Gunship.

The Storm Raven Gunship is the vehicle that we've been hearing rumors about that is essentially a mini-thunderhawk lander. First and foremost this heavy support choice is a fast skimmer and as such can move 24" during the course of a single movement phase. Also, it is an assault vehicle in addition to being a transport and can carry up to 12 space marine models and/or a dreadnought. That's right, you could carry a full squad of marines, up to 2 independent characters AND a dreadnought. It's armor 12 all around and additionally it's special armor makes it so that melta-weapons do not get their additional D6 Armor penetration against it. It comes standard with 2 twinlinked assault cannons and can mount a heavy bolter or multi-melta in addition (I dont think either option costs any additional points). So it can move 12" fire 1 main weapon (fortunately it doesn't seem to have any defensive weapons) It's compliment of combat troops can unload from the vehicle and assault in that same turn. You get all this for just a few points LESS than a land raider. That's pretty awesome by any standard. But this gets even better when you combine it with other units in the codex. Specifically the Blood Angels Death Company and the Death Company dreadnought.

The death company are very similar to Vanguard veterans actually. They're fully customizable assault troops. They dont get the heroic intervention ability but they do get furious charge, feel no pain, fearless and relentless. Fair trade huh? They're troops but they dont count as a scoring unit. But that's fine because considering their stats you really dont want them sitting on an objective anyway. You want these guys charging headlong into close combat EVERY TURN. If you put them in the storm raven assault lander then that will just extend their reach and make sure that they dont get shot up before they get to assault.

The Death company dreadnought is also remarkable because of the new weapon that it has. I forget the name but it's some kind of magnetic grapple claw. Basically it's a 12" range strength 8 shot. If it hits a vehicle and causes a glancing or penetrating hit that does not destroy the vehicle then the vehicle is pulled 2D6" directly towards the dreadnought.

Now, if you hadn't put it all together just yet here's why this is an awesome combination. your storm raven gun ship moves 12" towards the nearest enemy transport. The dreadnought deploys with the death company deploying in front of him. The dreadnought then fires the magnetic claw at the transport. It doesn't matter if you dont destroy it. Actually you dont want to destroy it with the magnetic gun. You just want to get a glancing or penetrating hit. You then pull the vehcile 2d6" towards the Death Company in front of him. Then you use the multi-melta on the Storm Raven Gunship to destroy the vehicle. Hopefully it will explode or be destroyed forcing the enemy to pile out of the transport. At which point, your deathguard who they are right next to will assault them. And the target will disappear in a flurry of thunderhammers, powerfists and power weapons from the death company.

A little long winded but I dont know how many of you guys have gotten a chance to see the new codex and I wanted to give some highlights. Anyway, sounds like good stuff huh? Personally I would have a unit of deathguard, a death company dreadnought and a storm raven gunship in every space marine list that I build. Thoughts?
Jedibean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Mar 2010, 16:49   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Blood Angels: You'd be crazy not to take a Storm Raven Gunship.

Wow... A grappling gun for a dreadnought.... Thats about as useless as giving Anne Frank a drum kit for christmas!

In other words i hate it. It just about ruins any kind of awsome i had going for this codex. The shear fact that a single dreadnought can pull a transport tank is stupid, along the lines of 'Lash of Submission' stupid but a little further along the line. At least lash seemed justifiable, were as here you are givivn a blood thirsty mega robot a peice of rope and hook and instructions, yeah 'cos that gunna happen. I would just go with a heavy flamer and extra close combat weapon, watch him wreak havok ripping things apart. The way they SHOULD BE!

What ever next? Marines with bunji ropes from a thunder hawk?
Old 10 Mar 2010, 17:02   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Alrighty so as per the title of my thread I'm gonna go ahead and file you under Crazy. Just because you dont like the idea doesn't make it bad. Quite the opposite it's an excellent addition for an army that benifits from being as close as possible to their opponents at all times. Also, it seems that you're suggesting that a magnetic grappling claw would be too complicated for a dreadnought to use. First and foremost the magnetic grappling claw IS a dreadnought close combat weapon. It just has the additional benefit of being able to be fired out to a distance of 12" at a strength of 8. Second, the dreadnought is not a stupid machine. It's a space marine veteran with decades and sometimes centuries of experience. The guy is going to know how to use the weapons his new body is fitted with.

Anyway, just because you have some mental image in your head of the way things "should" be doesn't make new things bad. Honestly if you dont like the idea then don't use it. But it's an excellent weapon that they've added to this dreadnought and a potentially game winning addition.
Old 10 Mar 2010, 17:10   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

I'm not at all saying that dreadnought are stupid. I know exactly what they are, but i also know what death Company are. Blood thirsty warriors reliving the final moments of their primarch as he fought on Horus' battle barge. Tactics seem, to be of very little use. If you are dropping a dread in from one of these gun ships, it can move 6", then assault 6", there is no need to grapple a tank when you can hit it anyway, and then if you grapple something else, you can't assault something else. Unless it gets Power of the machine spirit aswell. But even then i think that wouldn't allow that to happen.

But yes, i am most definatly crazy.
Old 10 Mar 2010, 17:25   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Circus Freak

. . . So in Apocalypse, this Dread can reel in a Baneblade?

The whole thing's stupid.
Crikey! This crazy clown causes commotion like the coming of Christ. Contained in a circle corrupted by crackheads and carnal cravings, he creates no concession to callous cheaters concentrating on nought but cock. Certainly, still a curious and cordial cavalier in the countenance of crazed cads, curs and creeps who condemn courtesy as something corny. No cloud could collapse his crushing crescendo of comical crowing and crimson coiffure. This conjecture on culture comes circumlocutive, consequently...

You may call me Circus.
Circus Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Mar 2010, 17:26   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Actually you cant move 6" and then assault. If the vehicle has moved 12" as per the scenario you can deploy within 2" from the transport and then assault. So if you're starting from 24" away from your opponent then you'll end up about 12" away from your target in the turn you deploy. The grapple gun allows you to target units in transports that are 19" - 24" away, pull them completely out of position destroy their transport and wipe out the unit inside the transport in short order. I fail to see the downside.

I understand the backstory of the death company but they are in fact still space marines. They aren't just looking to seek death. They're looking to die in service to the emperor. Which means that they will use all of the skills and tactical finesse that they have acquired as space marines in order to take as many of the emperors enemies with them when they go.

Granted if you want to put these guys on the table on foot and charge up the center of the table feel free. That's your choice entirely. My friends who play blood angels will be using a transport and proper combined arms tactics to make sure that these guys are doing what they do best, and that's killing opponents in assault.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circus
. . . So in Apocalypse, this Dread can reel in a Baneblade?

The whole thing's stupid.
Well, honestly the rules weren't written with apocolypse in mind. For the sake of logic I would say no. But then again I wouldn't be playing apocolypse either.

I dont see why people are so opposed to this idea. It's a ridiculously good upgrade. It's a dreadnought close combat weapon that can bring enemy vehicles closer to you. Which makes it a great weapon to go transport hunting with. Which makes it great in game terms.

In terms of backstory you have a chapter of space marines that specializes in close combat. Why wouldn't they use a weapon that brings your opponents closer?
Old 10 Mar 2010, 17:37   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Because we would have heard about it before! It just stinks of Codex Creep. It sounds like a good upgrade, but whoever uses it should be slapped with the 'acceptable fluff book'
Old 10 Mar 2010, 17:46   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

I'm not particularly enamored with the Storm Raven. AV12 means it only takes one volley of Lascannons to put the thing down. Personally, I find the characters much more ridiculous; I'd be astonished if anyone took a generic Captain or Librarian when such ridiculousness as Dante and Mephiston are available. Besides those few characters I really like the dex and it's not as creep-y (hehe) as expected. :P

[hr]

I'm confused as to why exactly the fluff of Death Company is being discussed? Feel No Pain and Furious Charge have been their abilities since the PDF codex, possibly even before but I wasn't around then so I can't say for sure. This isn't exactly something new.

[hr]

Personally, my Death Company will be chilling with Chapter Master Seth in a Crusader, which will not be DSed except under extremely rare unique circumstances, while the rest of my army is in Rhinos, blitzing across the board, Flat-Out. :P
Droids_Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Mar 2010, 18:16   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Circus Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapter Master Seth
Personally, my Death Company will be chilling with Chapter Master Seth in a Crusader, which will not be DSed except under extremely rare unique circumstances, while the rest of my army is in Rhinos, blitzing across the board, Flat-Out. :P

. .

. . .

Deep. Striking. Land Raider.

Crikey! This crazy clown causes commotion like the coming of Christ. Contained in a circle corrupted by crackheads and carnal cravings, he creates no concession to callous cheaters concentrating on nought but cock. Certainly, still a curious and cordial cavalier in the countenance of crazed cads, curs and creeps who condemn courtesy as something corny. No cloud could collapse his crushing crescendo of comical crowing and crimson coiffure. This conjecture on culture comes circumlocutive, consequently...

You may call me Circus.
Circus Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Mar 2010, 18:20   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Yes, it's stupid, but it's also pretty much useless. I don't get the appeal...
Droids_Rule is offline   Reply With Quote