Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Space Marine Animosity
Closed Thread
Old 12 Jul 2005, 15:51   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to wyrd_ian
Default Space Marine Animosity

100 Space Marines are sitting in a food court.
At one end you've got the oldest Techmarine from a forgeworld planet & at the other a grunt from a feral world who only became a Marine for his brute strength and hunting skills .

How long does it take before all hell breaks lose?

Basically, in a chapter you find marines from all sorts of different places and cultures, so how do they get on? Do they just put aside their old personality when they become a Marine?
-Disney: He's the puppet master, both our damnation and salvation. He rewards our successes and punishes us for our hubris (often in subtle but horrible ways). I suggest we do our best not to anger him, he is the greatest asset to our campaign and potentially the most fearsome foe we'll ever face.
Old 12 Jul 2005, 16:00   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to arguleon-veq
Default Re: Space Marine Animosity

'Basically, in a chapter you find marines from all sorts of different places and cultures'

No. You don't. The vast majority of Marines take their recruits from one world. On those worlds Marines are usually seen as almost god-like figures.

'who only became a Marine for his brute strength and hunting skills .'

The trails that aspirants must overcome test most aspects of a person. Also the process of becoming a Marine makes them far more intelligent etc than they are when first passing the trials to get a chance to be a Marine.

'Do they just put aside their old personality when they become a Marine?'

Marines are often recruited from different tribes on a planet for example. These tribal loyalties will seem insignificant to a Marine when they learn of the greater Galaxy, of mankindís foes etc. Also they are trained and disciplined.

'How long does it take before all hell breaks lose?'

A damn long time. Sometimes fights break out in a chapter but this is rare. Marines are the best trained, probably the most disciplined troops in the galaxy. You think they would start fighting each other every few minutes like Orks?
Old 13 Jul 2005, 12:20   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

The sort of person who is recruited is agressive enough and tough enough to beat the piss out of someone.

The sort of person who passes the acceptance trials and rituals is not the sort of person who thinks the answer to every problem is "use a bigger hammer".

The sort of scout who makes it to "marine" status has had decades to develop bonds of brotherhood that make a mockery of anything he might have known in his biological family.

No, marines don't fight each other at the drop of a hat.

Marines might have to kill their brothers who have fallen under the influence of chaos (like fallen angels), but they do it with tears in their eyes and anguish in their souls, and they make every effort to bring them back to the light of the Emperor first.

You truly fail to understand space marines. There is more to them than bolters and power armor.

:

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
Old 13 Jul 2005, 12:57   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to major_rawne02

I think this is an example of a 'dilute' SM player, the type who only sees the rules and draws his conclusions from there.

my advice would be, to any player not just those who play SM's, know your roots! Learn the fluff for your army it helps so much with keeping an army in character if you actually know what it's character is.

It's just a thought but please try it as it annoys me no end when I find someone who goes about thier force with a complete disregard for how it should be.
Old 13 Jul 2005, 14:02   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

That's where so many powergamers come from. I have never made an army without consulting the fluff first. Working out a realistic story, writing a few notes and keeping my forces striclty within fluff boundries. Much more fun to collect, model, paint and play. And also a lot more fun for everyone else, to see where their army fits around mine, and coming up with how the foes could realisticly meet.
Old 13 Jul 2005, 14:11   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

most of the players at my local club have fluff for thier forces, for example Wargamer's fluff piece on the Port Fury site is made from a campaign we had in gothic. It adds a deeper level of play to your games and an added degree of fun as mighty heroes rise and fall
Old 13 Jul 2005, 14:11   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Kangaroo Joe

Space wolfs fights each other. Thats all i am going to say, No particular reason, mind....

Quote:
No love, it's GREAT Britain....the clue's in the name

Thanx to Kais for the sig
Old 13 Jul 2005, 14:13   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

well what can you say? they are practically norse at the end of the day. (and they have an especially cool induction method ^-^
Old 13 Jul 2005, 15:32   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangaroo Joe
Space wolfs fights each other. Thats all i am going to say, No particular reason, mind....
course we do...we're just not the rowdy trouble-makers you folks know and love if we don't fight each other . besides, we gotta find some way of keeping our skills up between battles, and damned if we're gonna do any of that cissy "training"

"Well, a gathering is brie, mellow song stylings; shindig, dip, less mellow song stylings, perhaps a large amount of malt beverage; and hootenanny, well, it's chock full of hoot, just a little bit of nanny." Oz (Buffy, episode 2, season 3)

"I don't like coke, i just like the way it smells" Unknown

"and in the words of our lord and saviour, jesus christ, **** you if you can't take a joke" The Glass House
Old 13 Jul 2005, 15:38   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to skink

Space marines aren't dumb killing machines, they know when to avoid conflict. Flipping through the tau book you will see a marine captain visiting a tau colony with a diplomat in an attempt to find a peaceful resolution to a territory claim. The marine captain even meets a traitor guardsman that now works for the tau, he doesn't snap his neck or anything, just sees the big picture and lets it go.

Only idiots buy direct from GW, and then they usually turn around and complain about prices.
Closed Thread