Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

The Warriors of Toralis Revisted
Closed Thread
Old 12 Jul 2005, 03:06   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default The Warriors of Toralis Revisted

Since both a friend and I are pretty much starting a new army each (Tyranids for him, Space Marines for me) I figured I would gear my list towards nids, seeing as he his pretty much my only opponent :P

Any way, I revisted the Warriors of Toralis. Originally they had the trait "Trust Your Battle Brothers" and as a Drawback they had "Faithful Unto Death". Ay way, enough back ground history, heres the revised army list:

Traits: "Suffer not the Alien to Live: Tyranids" abd "Blessed be the Warriors"
Drawbacks: "Flesh over Steel" and " Have Faith in Suspicion"

HEADQUARTERS
++Captain Mercutio++
MC Power Sword, Terminator Honors, Bolt Pistol, Jump Pack, Combat Sheild
= 136pts

ELITES
++Assault Squad++
Sgt w/ Terminator Honors, Power Weapon, Bolt Pistol, Frag Grenades
7 Battle Brothers (5 Bolt Pistols and CCWs, 2 Flamers)
Furious Assault
= 237pts

TROOPS
++Tactical Squad++
Sgt w/ Terminator Honors, Thunder Hammer, Bolt Pistol
6 Battle Brothers (5 Bolters, 1 Heavy Bolter)
=155pts

++Tactical Squad++
Sgt w/ Terminator Honors, Thunder Hammer, Bolt Pistol
6 Battle Brothers (5 Bolters, 1 Heavy Bolter)
=155pts

FAST ATTACK
++Land Speeder Squadron++
1 Land Speeder Tornado, Assault Cannon
=80pts

++Land Speeder Squadron++
1 Land Speeder Tornado, Assault Cannon
=80pts

HEAVY SUPPORT
++Vindicator++
Extra Armor, Smoke Launchers, Demolisher Cannon, Storm Bolter
=133pts

Total Points: 999
Model Count: 3 Vehicles, 23 Infantry

So what do you think? I gave the Tactical Squads Heavy Bolters because they excel at killing the little buggers, and the Sgts were given Thunder Hammers because in past experiences they are very excellant against Carnifex' and my friend always takes at least 1 or 2. Besides, they would fair well against any Tyranid Monstrous Creature really...as long as they don't get more then 6 Attacks, I should stand a pretty good chance . Also in past experiences, Assault Cannons performed just as nice as the Thunder Hammers, so instead of a single Assacult Cannon on a Dreadnought, I decided to take two Tornado pattern Land Speeders to get to the big guys earlier. The Vindicator is also a nice addition to the two tactical squads. My friend hardly takes any anti-tank units so I decided I'd take the risk. The best thing he has next to a carnifex are Genestealers, and they actually work wonders against Dreadnoughts... stupid rending claws :P. But yeah, I was playing around with the commander, and I was suprised at how well he did. He managed to take down 10+ gaunts before finally succombing to the massess, tho there was only 4 Gaunts left. and 2 Carnifex'...and a Brood Lord with 3 Genestealers.... So I gave him an Assault squad to accompany him in the slaughter. But yeah, enough of what I think, what do you think? What should be taken out? What should be added? All helpful criticism is appreciated!

Ender
"Strive For Perfection
And Strike With Precision
Soon It Blows Up In Your Face
And The Smoke Blurs Your Vision"
-Mushroomhead

Formerly Andrew "Ender" Wiggen.
Old 12 Jul 2005, 08:43   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: The Warriors of Toralis Revisted

hmm, I would perhaps make the following changes!

1. remove the vindicator and replace with a whirlwind (indirekt S5 pieplates work wonders against nids-goin-to-rip-your-guts-open-swarms)

2. the tacticals are min/maxed IMO, which aint any fun! take away the second tactical unit, and replace with a 6 man scout unit with 3 snipers and 1 heavy bolter! give the tac unit a plasma gun fo extra anti-big-bug power!

IF you do have any points over then buy extra models for your tac and scout unit! Or perhaps a third speeder!
Old 12 Jul 2005, 19:46   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

If anything the Tactical squads are weak, not strong. They have a Heavy Weapon but no special, and an expensive CC character with only 5 Marines for back up. So they arent a shooty squad or a CC squad really.

For the Assault squad a Power Fist will be more useful against TMC's.

Tactical squads arent the most effective but they look super fun

Vindicator is nice and pretty cool so I'll leave it, like the Tacticals

Good Luck with your fun list.

PS If your making an anti Ni'd list then this isn't the best, but its pretty nice. Consider a Devastator squad with 4 Heavy Bolters though..
Old 13 Jul 2005, 00:12   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

yeah, I thought the tactical squads were pretty weak, but in the last game i played with them, they actually did fairly well. I'll play test both options and see what works best for me. I've never really like the Whirlwind...I like the fact that it can indirect fire, but it just seems to weak a weapon for me....

Quote:
2. the tacticals are min/maxed IMO, which aint any fun!
A tactical squad of 7 Space Marines is min/maxing? how? I didnt want to have a small squad of 5, but I didn't want a squad of 10 either, so I chose the middle ground. i don't see your logic, no offense or anything.

The Assault squad was designed for smaller bugs, he takes LOADS of them, and since my captain all but destroyed a unit by himself (probably by shear luck :P) I decided to give him some back up, to make it that much more effective against the little guys. The big guys I'm pretty much leaving to the Land Speeders, Tacticals and Vindicator (if they get that close :P).

I may think about replacing the heavy bolter with a flamer. My only qualms is that I'll get to use it maybe once or twice.... but I'll play test it and see what happens!

Any way, thank you guys for the advice! It all helped in one way or another!
"Strive For Perfection
-Mushroomhead

Old 13 Jul 2005, 08:22   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

ey, missed out on the sergs. though they where 6 in total with the serg.

And the whirlie aint a weak tank, it just dont like big buggers.
i use mine for hunting down big packs of soft aliens such as gaunts, ork mobs and eldars/Dark eldars!
Old 13 Jul 2005, 22:41   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

true... I dunno, I think its the fact that I think it should be stronger then S5, sure it works wonders, but it could work more if it were S6 :P Once again, I'll play test it, and we'll see what happens.

Ender
"Strive For Perfection
-Mushroomhead

Closed Thread