Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Is it worth it?
Old 31 Jan 2010, 23:37   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to SoldierOfTruth1
Default Is it worth it?

I'm a Tau player who has some Space Marine units as gifts.

I was wondering if it would be worth it to start investing in Dark Angels packs to flesh out the SMs I have already, or just theme some other Space Marine Chapter?

I love the Dark Angels story, and before I got into Tau, I had casually perused the Dark Angels section of the GW store, but are they worth the money they cost for their robes and special characters?

Lol... You go to play a game and field your kroot, and they have bushes growing out of their backs...

"What's that all over your kroot?"

"Oh that... yeah, my kroot or vegan... It's kinda of a genetic defect."
SoldierOfTruth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Feb 2010, 00:01   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to HijiriOni Send a message via MSN to HijiriOni Send a message via Yahoo to HijiriOni
Default Re: Is it worth it?

Alot of Dark Angels players seem to believe the codex isn't up to par with the current marines and wolves...or the 4th edition marines.

I do know that right now it's not an army most play for tournament power. They play it for fun/fluff or the ability to field an army of terminators.

Unfortunately their neat exclusive abilities are no longer exclusive, and in some cases aren't even as good as the new marines and wolves.
Mortis Pattern Dreadnoughts are available to space marines for cheaper and better options then DA.
Bike armys are available to DA and SM but I don't know which is better.
Wolves can pull an all terminator list too, but there are arguements as to which one is better at it.
Old 01 Feb 2010, 00:04   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Circus Freak

The Dark Angels Veteran boxes are really awesome, they are my second favourite Space Marine box (coming in just behind the Black Templar Upgrade Sprue).

However, unless you want to play Deathwing or Ravenwing (and even then, considering that Space Wolves and Space Marines respectively can do those fine), I would not recommend using Codex: Dark Angels to represent your force. It's out of date, and, compared to the newer Marine books, heavily handicapped as a result. It does not have much, if anything, that makes it more characterful in terms of the Dark Angels background, so I'd recommend using Codex: Space Marines to represent a Dark Angels force, and use a Space Wolf "Wolfwing" if you wish to represent Deathwing. You'd need to be careful with your unit choices though, as without some limitations you'll find the Space Wolf book very "Space Wolfy." Which is as it should be, and would be totally fine if the Dark Angels book was actually "Dark Angely."

Either way, due to the constant favour GW showers on the Marines and the vast potential for creating a unique Space Marine Chapter out of the many kits (Not only do you have the basic Marine kits, there's upgrade sprues for Dark Angels, Black Templars and Space Wolves - none of which are 100% clearly the Chapter they are based on - but you also have the entire Chaos Space Marine range, which isn't as inappropriate as you might at first think, and of course there are rumours that the Blood Angels will be getting upgrade kits too which I presume will be along the same lines), it's almost a no-brainer for a GW hobbyist to have a Space Marine army. It'll always be useful, it'll always be effective, and if you have the ideas and fluff knowledge (or know where to get it - there are several people on TO who will help you who are very good at this, I like to think myself included, so just ask away) it will always be cool and appeal to you. Space Marines can reliably do anything that the other armies are renowned for, that's why they're a jack-of-all-trades army, so...

YES, it is worth it to expand those gifts you got
Crikey! This crazy clown causes commotion like the coming of Christ. Contained in a circle corrupted by crackheads and carnal cravings, he creates no concession to callous cheaters concentrating on nought but cock. Certainly, still a curious and cordial cavalier in the countenance of crazed cads, curs and creeps who condemn courtesy as something corny. No cloud could collapse his crushing crescendo of comical crowing and crimson coiffure. This conjecture on culture comes circumlocutive, consequently...

You may call me Circus.
Circus Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Feb 2010, 00:35   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circus
The Dark Angels Veteran boxes are really awesome, they are my second favourite Space Marine box (coming in just behind the Black Templar Upgrade Sprue).

However, unless you want to play Deathwing or Ravenwing (and even then, considering that Space Wolves and Space Marines respectively can do those fine), I would not recommend using Codex: Dark Angels to represent your force. It's out of date, and, compared to the newer Marine books, heavily handicapped as a result. It does not have much, if anything, that makes it more characterful in terms of the Dark Angels background, so I'd recommend using Codex: Space Marines to represent a Dark Angels force, and use a Space Wolf "Wolfwing" if you wish to represent Deathwing. You'd need to be careful with your unit choices though, as without some limitations you'll find the Space Wolf book very "Space Wolfy." Which is as it should be, and would be totally fine if the Dark Angels book was actually "Dark Angely."

Either way, due to the constant favour GW showers on the Marines and the vast potential for creating a unique Space Marine Chapter out of the many kits (Not only do you have the basic Marine kits, there's upgrade sprues for Dark Angels, Black Templars and Space Wolves - none of which are 100% clearly the Chapter they are based on - but you also have the entire Chaos Space Marine range, which isn't as inappropriate as you might at first think, and of course there are rumours that the Blood Angels will be getting upgrade kits too which I presume will be along the same lines), it's almost a no-brainer for a GW hobbyist to have a Space Marine army. It'll always be useful, it'll always be effective, and if you have the ideas and fluff knowledge (or know where to get it - there are several people on TO who will help you who are very good at this, I like to think myself included, so just ask away) it will always be cool and appeal to you. Space Marines can reliably do anything that the other armies are renowned for, that's why they're a jack-of-all-trades army, so...

YES, it is worth it to expand those gifts you got
I really doubt I am going to be doing tournies with my Space Marines (I'm still new at the game in general, and that would be what my Tau army is for). I mostly want it to be fluffy, so I suppose I shall purchase the Dark Angels sprues and use the Space Marine codex for it... That was going to be my next question... Would anyone get angry if I had a DA army that didn't follow that codex?

On the fluffly note, what books are there about the fluff for the Dark Angels? I have the Horus Heresy one (Fallen Angels?) The Angels of Darkness, and The Space Wolves book that has Dark Angels in it. I've read the Tale of Two Heads Talking. Are there any others?

Lol... You go to play a game and field your kroot, and they have bushes growing out of their backs...

Old 01 Feb 2010, 01:27   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

If you want fluff, it really depends on what your tastes are. If you want a viking-esque feel, Space Wolves are the best. If you want a stoic unforgiven feel, go with Dark Angels. If you want something vampire-esque, then Blood Angels are the ticket. If you want to personalize your army, DYI is the way to go.
Warsmith Tyranus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Feb 2010, 04:49   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Warpspiderman

You could simply get The upgrade pack for fun! I have a couple space marine squads and I used the Black Templar sprue to spice them up. If I were to continue I would totally get the Dark Angels one, too.

But no, I wouldn't play them as either faction. The vanilla codex provides more options and is updated every other year to boot. :P
Old 01 Feb 2010, 05:10   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to major_rawne02

Space Marines really work with the whole monastic feel and the Dark Angels upgrade kit does a brilliant job of adding a bit of flair to your force. It needn't be the case that you have whole squads bedecked in flowing robes (although you could have), the simple addition of a few parts her and there throughout your force can really add a lot of character to your army, and the robes, chains and sword motifs that are so prolific on the Dark Angels sprues are really good for doing just that.

It's definately worth a look in my oppinion.
major_rawne02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Feb 2010, 11:34   #8 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen

If you love the fluff and the models, go for it. And You Shall Have No Regrets
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Feb 2010, 21:05   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Thanks for all the help
I think I may just get the upgrade sets for the DA, then paint them some other color. Perhaps purple? They can be a sort of offspring of the Soul Drinkers... Maybe after they turned from the Imperium, and then after they decided a middle path would be best.

Buddhist Space Marines anyone? ;D

Old 11 Feb 2010, 20:05   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

What I have done is taken my favorite GW/SM model, Ezekiel, used his special rules, given him a command squad and made the rest of my army the not-so-much-used unforgiven army The Disciples of Caliban. It pretty much is a regular SM army yet with Ezekiel of the Dark Angels as my HQ and his rules. Every other entry in my list is pretty vanilla SM, but having Ezekiel as the HQ gives it just enough fluff. I call it "Ezekiel's Disciples of Caliban Strike Force".

See it here: Topic: My 3000pt Dark Angel List

Oh ya the fluff behind it is that during Dark Angels actions of 13 Black Crusade the inner circle is informed by the Disciples of Caliban that they have cornered Cypher. Ezekiel being Master Librarian, is sent to the planet where the Disciples of Caliban have cornered Cypher. Ezekiel had to move fast so all he was able to muster up was his personal command squad, his personal landraider (FW modeled) , and a Dreadnought (FW modeled).

On a side note, I started with DA's because I love their story. Eventually I also have created a Tau list. I can't say which one is my favorite because they both wicked fun to play with.