Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Vanguard Veteren Help
Old 03 Jan 2010, 07:47   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Vanguard Veteren Help

Now I've been wondering. For the vanguard squad it says that if they select jump packs and they deep strike they may assualt when they arrive. So if they arrive in a drop pod can they hop out and engage the nearby unit in close combat ???
carnifex hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Jan 2010, 08:00   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Vanguard Veteren Help

Not having the codex on me right now so i would say yes. but i'm not sure they can take a transport with their jump packs.
Old 03 Jan 2010, 09:05   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

They can only take a Drop Pod if they don't take Jump-packs.

And you can only Heroicly Intervene if you have Jump Packs.

So no, you can't assault straight out of a Drop Pod.
lemon-green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Jan 2010, 17:48   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Ok thanks. This was to take down a pack of dark reapers with an exarch. Who is not fun to watch rip entire units apart >. So any suggestions on how to deal with them?
Old 03 Jan 2010, 19:17   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

I would use scouts. Give them bolt pistols + CCW's, give the Sgt a power weapon if you can afford it then use them to outflank. If your opponent deploys them within 12" of a board edge you can assault them the turn you arrive (presuming you arrive on the correct side). You don't even need to wipe them out as holding them up in combat will stop them shooting your important units!
Sardis Varrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Jan 2010, 05:45   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to LoTide Send a message via MSN to LoTide

A better set up would be to give them Power weapons and storm shields, then attach them to Shrike, who will allow them to infiltrate and have fleet. This is a much safer and deadlier tactic than using their heroic intervention. Although the look on your opponent's face when the unit you just deepstriked in front of his most vulnerable unit is suddenly assaulting them. :P
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicero - 55 BC
"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance."
LoTide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Jan 2010, 06:51   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to crazyguy832

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manatee
A better set up would be to give them Power weapons and storm shields, then attach them to Shrike, who will allow them to infiltrate and have fleet. This is a much safer and deadlier tactic than using their heroic intervention. Although the look on your opponent's face when the unit you just deepstriked in front of his most vulnerable unit is suddenly assaulting them. :P
If you're giving storm shields, lightning claws are better (you're not getting the extra attack anyways). It's also a really expensive combo that takes far too much out of your army under 2000 points. The only army I've seen where it could work is a 2500 points list, and the squad ends up being expensive as hell.

Do It! ;D
5th edition stats (W/D/L)
Deathwing: 14/6/3
Tau: 5/0/3
Blood Angels (NEW): 10/1/3
Blood Angels (OLD): 27/5/10
Eldar: 10/0/1
Death Guard: 1/0/0
crazyguy832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Jan 2010, 07:51   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Yeah I think Shrike will be to expensive with a vanguard squad with jump packs and bonus weapons .

He protects them by surrounding them with other units so i can't get to them.

I recently tried drop poding Sternguard planing to kill them with ap3 rapid fire... but things didn't go so well because the drop pod moved 12 inches (the the worst possible result) in the worst possible direction right off the table and then i rolled a 2 so yeah that was a free dead unit :'(.

Any other less costly suggestions?
Old 05 Jan 2010, 09:01   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnifex hunter
I recently tried drop poding Sternguard planing to kill them with ap3 rapid fire... but things didn't go so well because the drop pod moved 12 inches (the the worst possible result) in the worst possible direction right off the table and then i rolled a 2 so yeah that was a free dead unit :'(.
I think that could work quite well, its just this time round you got extremely unlucky, I say give it another try...

It's probably my number one plan, I'm in the exact same situation.

The other option is giving my marines Rhino's, so there not as vunerable, at least not when there aboard them...

But you could put Sternguard in a Rhino or Razorback if you don't trust the scatter dice, and try and race it up to the Dark Reapers and deliver that ap3 death, though it could take longer then the Drop Pod, while you wait for them to arrive though, just keep the rest of your army out of Range.
lemon-green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Jan 2010, 10:17   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnifex hunter
With the drop pods "Drop Pod Assault rule" You should have stopped just short of the table edge.