Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Iron Hands: One of the most overlooked Space Marine Chapter
Old 11 Nov 2009, 02:48   #1 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen
Default Iron Hands: One of the most overlooked Space Marine Chapter

For a Space Marine Chapter that was originally one of the first 20 Space Marine legions, Iron Hands have so little in terms of fluff and whatnot. The other 8 Loyalist Space Marine Legion got their own Special Characters in one or more of the Space Marine Codices:
- Ultramarines: Nuff' said.
- Blood Angels: PDF Codex.
- Dark Angels: Stand-alone Codex
- Space Wolves: Stand-alone Codex
- Imperial Fist: Lysander in Codex Space Marines
- Salamanders: Vulkan He'stan in Codex: Space Marines
- White Scars: Kor'sarro Khan in Codex: Space Marines
- Ravenguard: Shrike in Codex: Space Marines

Iron Hands, however, has none at all...
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Nov 2009, 05:10   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Iron Hands: One of the most overlooked Space Marine Chapter

I've got to agree with this, I do feel sorry for them.

They do have some background though, just not much. But what they do have is pretty cool. If I wasn't playing as Crimson Fists theres a good chance I'd play this chapter instead...
lemon-green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Nov 2009, 05:44   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to HijiriOni Send a message via MSN to HijiriOni Send a message via Yahoo to HijiriOni

Sigh...the BA PDF shouldn't even count, it's a white dwarf production. But it is more recognition then what iron hands have.

So far all they have is "We're smurfs with different colors"
Old 11 Nov 2009, 06:08   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by HijiriOni
So far all they have is "We're smurfs with different colors"
Basically yeah, but your able to do more then just that with them.

Master of The Forge is basically for them, its there thing, it also allows you to take extra dreadnoughts which is also quite fluffy.
It isn't difficult to make an Iron Hands force...

And, GW has released a squad for them.
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/ca...tCatGameStyle=

It would have been very nice though to see a special character or something for them though.
lemon-green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Nov 2009, 06:59   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

When I saw the Bjorn rules in the new space wolfies codex I thought that taking him as a HQ and using the wolves as counts-as Iron Hands
My WIP Prussian themed Imperial Guard Army - Because you&#39;ve all asked for it!

JAGGED ALLIANCE &#39;09 - Bottled in Scotland (please enjoy responsibly) - Tau Empire
ARCANACON &#39;10 - PWNaVIC - Tau Empire: Veteran Cadre Pegasus - The Dal&#39;yth Oldbloods
BAMBASH - Shas&#39;El von Richthofen&#39;s Flying Circus - Tau Empire - Allied with Imperial Guard

- I survived the SEBF 24hr Painting Challenge!
- One of the last surviving members of the Blue Lake Battlegroup at Compton Hall :P
Shas O Dalyth Montau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Nov 2009, 09:01   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

The Iron Hands have certainly been a first founding chapter that has received a short end of the stick. In fact, in terms of fluff, I&#39;d say that they got the shortest stick. It does suck, but there seems to be a bit of a silver lining; I&#39;d say that the Master of the Forge special ability to take 6 Dreads is meant to help make an Iron Hands army...that&#39;s got to count for something.

Also, at least the Iron Hands have shoulder icons. Try having to paint 80+ Raven Guard logos! :&#39;(

Hive Fleet Omukade: 8/0/0
Raven Guard: 8/2/0

Latest Result: Wipeout victory for the Tyranids!

irishdelinquent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Nov 2009, 10:58   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Don&#39;t the Raven Guard get transfers??? lame...
My WIP Prussian themed Imperial Guard Army - Because you&#39;ve all asked for it!

JAGGED ALLIANCE &#39;09 - Bottled in Scotland (please enjoy responsibly) - Tau Empire
ARCANACON &#39;10 - PWNaVIC - Tau Empire: Veteran Cadre Pegasus - The Dal&#39;yth Oldbloods
BAMBASH - Shas&#39;El von Richthofen&#39;s Flying Circus - Tau Empire - Allied with Imperial Guard

- I survived the SEBF 24hr Painting Challenge!
- One of the last surviving members of the Blue Lake Battlegroup at Compton Hall :P
Shas O Dalyth Montau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Nov 2009, 18:03   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

i read a couple iron hands books once and they were fairly cool, but yea didnt even realise they dont get their own codex or rules really, maybe we should petition games workshop to do something about this
The only thing that the Blood Claws are at a defecit against is the likes of Tau and the IG, since against anything up to WS6 they&#39;re still hitting on 4&#39;s, you&#39;d need WS7 to meke them need 5&#39;s! As for shooting, I give mine flamers-tarik_torgeddon
brickinthat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Nov 2009, 18:13   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Perhaps GW left them somewhat blank so we could make up the fluff and characters? If you think about it (as Zen has pointed out) - the other FF chapters have fluff and Special Characters, perhaps GW left the Iron Hands to us?

Dark Adeptus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Nov 2009, 23:47   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

The Space Wolves counts as is an interesting idea that&#39;s been banging around. It would allow them their old terminator sergeants and double special weapons, but the iron priests are somewhat lacking for an Iron Father counts as. Bjorn, however, is a nearly perfect fit as a revered Iron Hands Dread, and his effect upon death is something I find very fluffy for the Iron Hands. Vanilla marines have the Master of the Forge though, which seems made with Iron Hands in mind.

I see it like this.

If you want to focus in Iron Fathers and Dreads, use the Marines Codex.
If you want to focus on Terminator sergeants and the inspiration an Iron Hands Dreadnought would bring to a battlefield, go for the Wolves.

My two cents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by runer60000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead
I believe so, I get mine at Walgreen&#39;s for around $7. Brake Fluid works too (Pine Sol Works on metals, not so well on plastics), but I prefer the spraycanniness of the Easy Off. Spray it (Wear gloves, it&#39;s important), let it sit, and take a toothbrush to it later.
so what your saying is that oven cleaner can remove paint from plastic models? and after that, you take a toothbrush to your plastic model, and the paint just comes off?
Gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote