Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Iron Hands: One of the most overlooked Space Marine Chapter
Old 11 Nov 2009, 23:03   #11 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Iron Hands: One of the most overlooked Space Marine Chapter

I would just make an army that is heavy on augmentation, dreads, out of the regular codex, rather than trying to fudge stuff of of some other codex. The SMurf book gives plenty of leeway as it is, without having to kidnap a character from some other army as a proxy. Just make some dreads, and upgrade all your characters with stuff that seems 'bionic' and there it is.

I actually hate that I have seen players use generic SMurfs with special characters from 2 separate armies just to stack their abilities. You can use 'Shrike' as 'Mike' or whatever in your army, so it ultimately doesn't matter who is allowed what special character. Bjorn is a totally different codex though, so shouldn't be interchanged.
Guitardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Nov 2009, 23:05   #12 (permalink)
Shas'O

They are really only overlooked because they didn't get a special char in the new codex.

I loved the Salamanders, however I have a distinct dislike for armies that have a number of "bubble" players who pick up armies and then collapse/quit.

Salamanders were distinct and at one time having an army of them with their special shoulder pads (yeah, GW used to make more shoulder pads than just these basics of theirs) was something to be proud of since even the codex wasn't even seen all that often... Now I can't even kick three Space Marine players without hitting at least one "Salamanders" player. :

Maybe I'm from the old school, but special characters don't make the army. The player's own personal fluff is far more rewarding to hear of than the same old tired lists I always see thrown around. As far as I'm concerned, the focus on the herohammer is just another way to simplify the game for the players. Think about it, why take the time to come up with your own fluff when GW has provided you a background already?
[hr]

Iron hands? Yes, they were about the same tier as the old Salamanders in obscurity. If anything the players should be glad of the opportunity to avenge their fallen fluff brothers and forge ahead under the watchful eye of an understanding player who wants to make his own legend.

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
enderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Nov 2009, 23:51   #13 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordechai
They are really only overlooked because they didn't get a special char in the new codex.

I loved the Salamanders, however I have a distinct dislike for armies that have a number of "bubble" players who pick up armies and then collapse/quit.

Salamanders were distinct and at one time having an army of them with their special shoulder pads (yeah, GW used to make more shoulder pads than just these basics of theirs) was something to be proud of since even the codex wasn't even seen all that often... Now I can't even kick three Space Marine players without hitting at least one "Salamanders" player. :

Maybe I'm from the old school, but special characters don't make the army. The player's own personal fluff is far more rewarding to hear of than the same old tired lists I always see thrown around. As far as I'm concerned, the focus on the herohammer is just another way to simplify the game for the players. Think about it, why take the time to come up with your own fluff when GW has provided you a background already?
[hr]

Iron hands? Yes, they were about the same tier as the old Salamanders in obscurity. If anything the players should be glad of the opportunity to avenge their fallen fluff brothers and forge ahead under the watchful eye of an understanding player who wants to make his own legend.
I much prefer seeing a IC that is based on a 'generic' character, just given its own personality by the player. With the current dex it is more or less encouraged to take two of the superheros and stack their extra cheese than it is to use a company captain that you create yourself and personalize. This is kind of why I have been leaning towards SpaceWolves lately as my next army. Not because of the Jaws of the Wolf crap, but because it encourages creating unique characters.
Guitardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Nov 2009, 00:05   #14 (permalink)
Shas'La

Guitardian, what is this "cheese stacking" you speak of? Do you mean Sicarius + another special character?
Domitian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Nov 2009, 00:51   #15 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to crazyguy832

Taking more than one special character with vanilla marines is generally handicapping yourself (Telion being a notable exception; possibly Cassius as well). With DA and BA, you're definitely encouraged to take multiple special characters. SW don't really need to as Saga of the Warrior Born is amazing. ;D

Do It! ;D
5th edition stats (W/D/L)
Deathwing: 14/6/3
Tau: 5/0/3
Blood Angels (NEW): 10/1/3
Blood Angels (OLD): 27/5/10
Eldar: 10/0/1
Death Guard: 1/0/0
crazyguy832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Nov 2009, 01:14   #16 (permalink)
Ethereal

Iron Hands had an Index Astartes entry, so there is definitely a fair bit of information about them. But they really got taken apart in the Istvaan V dropsite massacres. They were one of those Legions that barely had enough survivors to divide into Chapters.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Nov 2009, 01:18   #17 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khanaris
Iron Hands had an Index Astartes entry, so there is definitely a fair bit of information about them. But they really got taken apart in the Istvaan V dropsite massacres. They were one of those Legions that barely had enough survivors to divide into Chapters.
I think you just Ninja'd me.....

The Iron Hands are in "Index Astartes 3" and their rules are on page #9
robidark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Dec 2012, 07:41   #18 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

The Iron Hands have awesome fluff, I didn't even start noticing them until recently, but the whole fluff for them is based heavily on Scotland. Medusa is dark and misty with a heavy Celtic tinge to it, with competing clans in mobile fortresses, and the Iron Hands chapter being divided into independent clans itself. Ruled by a council of Clan Chiefs (well Clan fathers at any rate) and the legends of Ferrus Manus sound like the legends of Finn McCool from Ireland. Like competing with giants in a bet, wrestling monsters, etc... Fluff wise, I'd really like to see a Braveheart style Iron Father, or one based on the Bruce. ^^ I was originally gonna go with the Crimson Fists because of their VERY Spanish flavor, but I'm totally gonna do Iron Hands now that I've read up on their backstory.
IronfatherScotty24 is offline   Reply With Quote