Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

IDEA: Space Marines and... Abhumans?
Closed Thread
Old 21 Jun 2005, 00:37   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to Helderin Send a message via MSN to Helderin
Default IDEA: Space Marines and... Abhumans?

I was just wondering...

Space Marines are recruited from the finest humans in the universe. But what if the chapters started recruiting from the Abhuman portion of the galaxy...

Like Ogryn Marines, they'd be much tougher than the average Marine, but probably a lot dumber without some sort of augmented cybernetic brain...but still it'd be cool.

I just think it'd be really cool to have chapters of space marines that have been recruited from the finest abhumans there are...
Old 21 Jun 2005, 01:57   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Hunter
Default Re: IDEA: Space Marines and... Abhumans?

Juts thinking about how this would affect the induction process, most aspirants are unsuitable to begin with, and the tech used isn't really designed to be adapted to different 'versions' of humanity, it can't even cope with females for a start! (not saying that females are different version of humanity; since they're in the majority, it would be the reverse if anything.)

I think that the main effect of doing all this work on an ogryn aspirant would be a dead ogryn. Possibly the same for other abhumans.

But then, what would happen if the apothecaries could find a way around this?

Old 21 Jun 2005, 03:53   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Spiritbw

Well, then you'd probably enter into the question of why they would want to? You have to rember this is the Imperium of Man where "Kill the Alien, Burnt he Heretic, Purge the Mutant" isn't just a creepy phrase, it's a motto for some. Space Marines have this image of being Humanities finest. What would happen tot hat image and the ideals they uphold with it if they started recruiting form the 'inferior' portion of the population?

Still interesting thought.
Old 21 Jun 2005, 04:00   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

The whole purge, burn and purify is a bit of a moot point when humanities' not-so-fine use them constantly. Adapting the implants to othe species would take alot of lobbying with the puritists and alot of overtime work by the apothecaries, but who can deny the terror a power-armoured ratling would inspire in... HAHAHAHA!!!.... couldn't get that out without laughing.
Old 21 Jun 2005, 07:43   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter
it can't even cope with females for a start!
There's a big argument about that somewhere... I think that you can actually have female Marines, it's just that women do not really appear in the 40K universe, save in Eldar and SOBs. After all, we know you can have female Guard, and we've got female Inquisitors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 21 Jun 2005, 07:58   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Hunter

Trust me I know, I was one side of that topic.

Old 21 Jun 2005, 14:54   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

The writer of "The Jungle" is a big supporter of female Marines, and a third of his force is comprised of females. Here's a link:

http://www.thewarp.net/war/tigersofveda/roarsgirls.html
Old 21 Jun 2005, 19:35   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I kinda have this vision of maybe a group of rogue apothecaries finding a way to alter the process of space marine making to include abhumans. They arrive on an ogryn planet and begin their experimentation on the Ogryn (I just really like ogryn :-D).

Accuracy with weapons and their skill in close combat increases, as does Strength and Toughness, however due to their sheer strength the ripper gun still remains their standard issue weapon, although some have been trained in the use of heavy weaponry.

Power armor is a difficult piece of equipment to make and as a result the Ogryn are made to wear large carapace armor variants, wiith several cybernetic implants to monitor vital signs, impiment night vision, a comm link, and so forth.

Than they'd become their own chapter, although they'll probably be hunted into extinction by other Space Marine chapters.

If theres any hope for abhuman marines it lies with Fabius Bile and his twisted experiments.
Old 21 Jun 2005, 23:51   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Spiritbw

In which case they would be chaos marines and not loyalist marines.

Also, yes abhumans are used, but they tend to be auxillry, not main line. While there are Ogryn in the guard you don't find whole regiments maqde up of nothing but. If there are any they are usuallyalong to fill a smallr ole no one else can (or wants) to do.

I admit it would be interesting to do and even be a cool project, but it would be strickly house rules only and in your own home.
Old 22 Jun 2005, 02:11   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Based on the upgrades of a regular human to a space marine I created this stat-line for the Ogryn Marine.

Ogryn Marine

Created by the Geneseed-Adaptation Project headed by Apothecary Damascus, the Ogryn Marine is a more efficient killing machine. The process of making these beasts is still in the prototype stages and the aspirants usually die during the process, making sure only the toughest of the ogryns makes it through the process. Dead aspirants are harvested for any organs left undamaged to use for further experimentation. Being a relativley new addition the Ogryn Marine is stll armed with its standard Imperial Issue Gear.

Unknown Pts (Suggestions?)

(This stat-line based on the comparison of stats between a Marine and a Guards, +1 Bs (not included below), +1 Ws, +1 S, +1 T, +1 I, +1 Ld. I decided to keep the 5+ Armor Save.)

WS - 5
BS - 3
S - 6
T - 5
W - 3
A - 2
I - 4
Ld - 8
Sv - 5+

Squad Size: 4-8

Weapons: The Ogryn Marine is armed with the standard issue Ripper Gun and large close combat knives.

Options: One Ogryn Marine can be armed with one of the following Heavy Weapons, Autocannon +Xpts, Heavy Stubber +Xpts, Lascannon +X pts, Heavy Bolter +X pts. All other weapons are impossible to use by the Ogryn.

One Ogryn Marine can be upgraded to the Ogryn Sargeant at +X pts. He may take equipment from the Ogryn Armory, excluding any single handed weapon upgrades (including CC weapons). An Ogryn Sargeant can replace his Ripper Gun and CC weapon with a Great Weapon, adding a +1 to his strength.

Why yes...I will write....CODEX: ABHUMANS
Closed Thread