Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Rhino or no rhino?
Closed Thread
Old 18 Jun 2005, 21:32   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to phish
Default Rhino or no rhino?

Well ive been looking at armies in the codexs and online and no one uses rhinos. But this guy at my store keeps saying to use them so im getting really confused. I play blood angels and they can move 18 inches per turn unlike regular ones and I am only able to play tau. Do you think i should use them or not?
Old 18 Jun 2005, 22:36   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Rhino or no rhino?

well personally i think they are great, unless you have infiltrate then i think they lose there meaning, but that's just me (also i tend to lose most of my games so i probably wouldn't take any of my advice)

Old 18 Jun 2005, 23:13   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to epc-Felix

I find they can be really good for getting CC command squad in fast or depositing Units onto Objectives fast. Keyword fast.
Old 19 Jun 2005, 00:24   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Ya I think I'm going to go with them because i dont want my squads dying before they get into cc.
Old 19 Jun 2005, 05:10   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Spiritbw

Rhinos are one of those mixed bag things. Before in third edition they were just about essential to some marine armies. it didn't get name 'The Rhino Rush' for no reason after all! Under fourth the importnace isn't as muhc on the Rhino but they still ahve uses. As said they are great for getting units form A to B rather fast, you can use them as mobile cover as well.

There are downsides though. Alot of people don't use them because even as cheap as it is, simply having more bodies on the table last longer. The thin armour it has doesn't help this. Also the new assault pod rules can do the same thing as the rhino, cheaper and with a bit better armour but at the trade off of worse shooting of it's mounted weapon.

In the end, like anything it depends on how you like to play I think.
Old 19 Jun 2005, 15:54   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

It's all about play style. The Rhino is quite fast, but if your opponents are all Tau I would recomend against.
Even at max range (30") a squad of Fire Caste can reliably disable or tear apart a Rhino in a single turn, let alone the damage Missile Pods can do from even further away. Power-armoured Marines last longer that their APC, ironically enough.
Old 19 Jun 2005, 18:07   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

In a Space Marine army, Rhinos will always serve a valuable purpose. Maybe not to the tune of mounting all your tactical squads in them, but considering that you still need to cross the table to cover objectives, it's well worth it. Granted against Tau or any shooty army, this can be rough. But that's why you have extra armor/smoke launchers. A Rail Gun firing into a vehicle that popped smoke is just a glancing hit.
Old 19 Jun 2005, 20:57   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Hunter

Rhino's aren't necessarily to be used for getting to the objective (eg, enemy front line, mission objective), they are also great for moving sqauds to adjust your deployment. It's like in martial arts, if your enemy tries to do one thing, change your shape to make that ineffective.
But then, this can lead to you responding to the enemy, not forcing the enemy to respond to you, a bad thing. And marines can cope with a lot of abuse anyway.

And a lot has to be said about dropping rapid firing sqaud within range of a small unit of Eldar.

Old 20 Jun 2005, 15:10   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I would recommend putting your HQ with a bodyguard in a rhino with smoke and extra armour. Against tau you move up 12" on your first turn and pop smoke. Extra armour should help keep you moving. on turn two you drive up another 12" , turn sideways and deploy the squad behind the rhino. Next turn you should be in assault range. This works much better with a Land Raider though...
Old 20 Jun 2005, 19:19   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Thanks for all the advice. I think im just going to give my hq a rhino. I had never thought about them getting shot by tau infantry!
Closed Thread