Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Blood Angels - A wish list
Old 31 Jan 2009, 22:01   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Blood Angels - A wish list

It's winge time! ;D

Now I've always been a BA player, but having been away from 40k for eight years I retun to find a rather 'limp' codex... all-be-it free for our boys in red. Now, there are still a few of you out there that soldier on, and I salute you, however, to my mind, the BA's are a shadow of their former selves.

To be more pro-active rather than just bottling it up or winge-ing I'd like to test the water for what others want if/when/should they ever revise our favourite marine chapter (and successors).

My "Wishlist":
1. A list that fits the fluff. Hold on... this is a big one!

The fluff states (see squad markings etc) that the BA's area pretty much CODEX chapter with battle companies involving 10squads with 6 tactical, 2assault. and 2Dev... The fluff seems to indicate that the STRUCTURE of the chapter(s) are CODEX but their approach to equipment and tactics is what 'presses the buttons' of some Inquisitors.

Then Why-Oh-WHY are Assault Squads troops choices and Scouts Elites!? This, to me, is a lazy way to get them to play aggressively... why not get creative and give the tactical squads "Sanguinus rounds" (I made that up... but it is based on what they created for the Sternguard and the fluff) for their bolters turning them into Assault 2, 18" weapons? or even Jump packs perhaps.

2. Revised models. Of the models out there the special characters not only are the same ones I remember from nearly a decade ago. Aside from this could/should be a veteran/general upgrade sprue in order to "Angel-ify" standard marine miniatures, something along the lines if the DA's would surely be achievable.

3. More Psychic Powers. I don't want a return to the 2nd ed. where it was MILES over the top, but come on. Having a bog-standard librarian WITHOUT a real choice is a bit feeble.

Not all things are bad. The Death Company rules are an inprovement over 3rd ed. and their revised/reduced weapon loads with rending are more realistic and in-keeping with the fluff. The continuation of the Baal Predator is great, as is the introduction (to me) of the Furioso Dreadnaught. The possibility of a "Black Rage" Dread shows what creativity *could* be there and not only fits the fluff but adds to it.

I'll stop there and see if others share my frustrations, hopes and dreams... ;D

Welshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Jan 2009, 23:18   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Blood Angels - A wish list

Basic troops madly overpriced(Assault Squads and Tactical Squads) when compared to Codex:Marines, and the free Death Company doesn't make up for it.

Special Characters put the ordinary HQs to shame(Lemartes).

Furiosos are cool, leave as is.

Give Librarians more psychic powers.

A proper codex would be nice, with proper fleshed out fluff and rules. However, we'd probably only get more "Assault only" stereotyping. Also rules for BA successor chapters like the Flesh Tearers characters.

Generally, price drops on Tactical Squads, make Death Company optional, and standardise the damned equipment across marine chapters.

http://www.travian.co.uk/?uc=uk1
RonanB1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Feb 2009, 00:11   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Wait, what's wrong with Jump Troop choices? I like it.
*Doh!-Nuts DarkWand3r3r Msg Player 04-08-2009 17:51:32
Moral of this story... in real life or in a pen and paper game... do not piss off Delpheus or he will OMGWTFBBQPWN your face with a uber hit.
DELPHEUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Feb 2009, 01:52   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to razgriz_cipher

The thing is assaults as troops allows you to play 8th company all assault marines. Special weapons for assault marines although that would get a little broken.
Old 01 Feb 2009, 02:55   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak
Wait, what's wrong with Jump Troop choices? I like it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Wu
The thing is assaults as troops allows you to play 8th company all assault marines.
Both are valid choices/preferences, I would have no problem against a special rule (either force or character based ref:Sternguard Vets/Pedro) stating that Assualt Troops Count as scoring units, however the essence of the Force Organisation Charts is to create a 'ballance' that suits the fluff of the army for a 'standard' engagement. At current the FOC for BA's does not.

As for the 8th Company, there's nothing stopping you playing as them... but this would fall under the category of an Apocalypse game or special scenario. Again the essence of the FOC is to create 'restriction' in order to force a more ballanced force. The 8th, according to the fluff for all CODEX chapters is that they are re-enforcements so to engage an all assualt army would/should be a rare (all-be-it fun) battle.

Again we all seem to agree that assualt based armies are fun. And indeed, this surely is why we play BA's, however my point with this is that at current all GW have done is 'tweak' our boys in red by making a rather lazy alteration in the FOC.

My opinion is that this would be fine, providing it's a short term fix. For a long term solution it doesn't cut the mustard or suit the fluff. This doesn't even touch the sides when we look at the new CODEX weapon & equipment load-outs. If GW are not putting the effort in at this point then a major concern is that our 'Boys in Red' will be canned as an un-popular choice and either disappear or become plain old vanilla marines!
Old 02 Feb 2009, 07:08   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

I must disagree with oyu here.

Quote:

As for the 8th Company, there's nothing stopping you playing as them... but this would fall under the category of an Apocalypse game or special scenario. Again the essence of the FOC is to create 'restriction' in order to force a more ballanced force. The 8th, according to the fluff for all CODEX chapters is that they are re-enforcements so to engage an all assualt army would/should be a rare (all-be-it fun) battle.
Now, you do NOT have to play Apoc to field 8th Company, I do it ALL THE TIME. YOu are quite wrong in your assumption about Apoc, because blood angels have nothing that does not get ****ed up the ass in Apoc. It all falls ot giant piza plates and titans, and Baneblades, and other nasties that we have none of. The closest we have are the Furioso dreads venerable and Land raiders, and those aren't that special.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Why So Serious?
Dark Ace Cypher with the power of cliffing!
[quote=TheCuriousMonke]
[b]"You must bake muffins for the Greater Good."[/
Ace cipher zer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Feb 2009, 18:44   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark ace Cipher
Now, you do NOT have to play Apoc to field 8th Company, I do it ALL THE TIME. YOu are quite wrong in your assumption about Apoc, because blood angels have nothing that does not get Sav'Y'xauk up the D'yi in Apoc. It all falls ot giant piza plates and titans, and Baneblades, and other nasties that we have none of. The closest we have are the Furioso dreads venerable and Land raiders, and those aren't that special.
I think this will be an "Agree to disagree" point. As it appears we approach the game structure, both in 40k and Apocalypse differently. My interpretation is that the restriction created by the FOC is supposed to aid in a more diverse use of the army list as a whole, arguably by creating 'weaknesses' in the army and forcing you to treat your force as a whole and not just make a firce from your "favourite parts".

Again I enjoy the concept of 'special' or Apoc games where you get a free-er pick and mix approach.... again, Marines may not have that many Super-Heavies directly, but there's nothing wrong with fielding 'allied' Titans or Baneblades etc Along with (what I consider) special formations, such as the 8th Company.