Iron Hands 4 9.52%
Salamanders 23 54.76%
DIY/Ultra Templars 7 16.67%
Codex 8 19.05%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old 31 Oct 2007, 03:59   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Just got the Space Marine Company from my wife and need help

Okay you have seen the title now I need help. What are some key points or encouraging words for a new space marine player and what traits do the RED SCORPIONS have? And the poll is up there for fun and opions

Ps: Ultra templar are
blue/black
Black/blue
painting wise
Old 31 Oct 2007, 07:49   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Just got the Space Marine Company from my wife and need help

Salamanders

They have different fluff to all the rest. They're more concerned with doing the right thing, protecting civilians etc than honor and glory in battle. I just respect them more.

They have a cool paint scheme... well I just think it looks good.

Their rules are fairly straightforward, there isn't a whole bunch of new stuff for a newbie to learn. To me, rule wise, they seem fairly close to standard, while still having a flavor of their own.

If you really get into them, they can be blinged out with some very nice looking forgeworld parts for Rhinos and other vehicles.
Old 31 Oct 2007, 09:25   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

You've got a whole company of marines to assemble but don't feel the need to rush to get everything put together right away. Give some thought to what Chapter you want to do. Go read up on the different chapters available. Think about the playstyle or styles you want. With a whole company you will have alot of diversity, especially once you start added support units like tanks or bikes.

Once you've decided on a chapter that suits you then get to work building. A whole company is quite alot of work but take your time. Make sure to give your models character and conversions. It doesn't even have to be anything incredibly time consuming, just something that makes them unique and stand out. Check out sites like CMON for inspiration.

Choosing the chapter is up to you but I would suggest looking at Space Wolves or Salamanders because they both have distinctive looks and offer alot of modeling and conversion options.

Cadaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Oct 2007, 14:52   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadaver
Choosing the chapter is up to you but I would suggest looking at Space Wolves or Salamanders because they both have distinctive looks and offer alot of modeling and conversion options.
Like what???
Old 31 Oct 2007, 16:44   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via AIM to §fallen§

I can tell you about the spacewolves since i play them.

The normal ultra marines have just regular trophies and such but for the space wolves they have wolf trophies which look awesome and have a little bit different rules.

Another good chapter to chose that is unique are the black templars, they I think and the spacewolves of course are the coolest chapters in the imperium.
Old 31 Oct 2007, 17:53   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Quote:
Originally Posted by laxlover_bill369
Like what???
Well you can answer almost any question you have by using the search feature on here and other forums and using google and wikipedia and of course GW's site.

But as for the Space Wolves and the Salamanders they both have a very unique look. The Space Wolves have an immense nordic/celtic theme, runes cut into their armor, wolf pelts, fangs, beards, axes etc. The Space Wolves have their own upgrade sprue with all that stuff on it.

The Salamanders are a more difficult chapter to convert but still have their own unique look. They have more artificer armor, Terminator Armor, Master Crafted weapons and Thunder Hammers than other chapters due to their ability for each marine to repair his own wargear, leaving the Chapters techmarines and artificers free to put more time into their other works. The Chapter also has a heavy influence of salamander/drake themes and hammer/anvil/flame themes to due with their homeworld Nocturne. Scale cloaks and scaled armor, hammer and flame motifs on their armor.

The Space Wolves and Salamanders also have plenty of unique and interresting background. Do a search for them on wikipedia for a general idea.

Vash113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Oct 2007, 21:52   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Firstly, congrats .

Secondly, I think the codexes offer more spacious resolve for an entire company. Besides, the company can be taken as allies (i believe) anyway.

No Pity No Remorse No Fear
[hr]
"All we see or seem is but a dream within a dream."-Edgar Allen Poe
[hr]
[quote=Earring (Busy Destroying the World)]
Don't worry too much...remember...females can smell fear
Malchior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Nov 2007, 22:21   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Firstly, I though you said your wife was getting you Tau.

As for choice, I voted Salamanders, as they are very rarely found, but have nice fluff, paint scheme and models. I belive there are fluff for salmanders in the old Armageddon campaign codex.
The Salamanders have chinese-sounding names like Tsum-mei and Li-yeung. They have good background too.
Plus, during several major campaigns, salamanders have evacuated people from worlds rather than purely fighting. They are the 'people's chapter' and rightly so. Suggested traits for them can be found in Codex: Space Marines.

Real men read The Strange Gazzet! (PM me for more information)

Thanks to Jais for finding the avatar!
Commander Songblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Nov 2007, 22:25   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Yeah, I was gonna. What happened to all that angst about what Tau to get?
Arschbombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Nov 2007, 00:53   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

I'd suggest the DIY Chapter. When you really put thought into your chapter, take your time converting them, painting them, and even naming them, you can really create a unique bunch of super-soldiers. My friend has done this with the Barren Sentries, and he's still coming up with ideas and working them into his army's fluff.
Droids_Rule is offline   Reply With Quote