Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

What's your Dreadnought configuration ?
Old 20 Aug 2007, 18:14   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default What's your Dreadnought configuration ?

Hi guys,

After facing some Dreadnought into my last few games, I decided I needed some :P

The thing is that I wonder which configuration is the best, or at least if the one I made is good.

I needed some anti-tank (My list lacking heavily in this domain), therefore, the lascannon sounds like a good choice. Being Twin Linked, accuracy isn't a problem, and for a mere 10 pts, I can have it str10 with the Tank Hunter ability.

The main configurations I faced were Lascannon and missile launcher, a good range match, but I found it bad for 2 reasons. First, Dreadnought have this speacial ability to be walkers, which means they can move FORWARD TO THE ENEMY and shoot that big thing. Second, as they should MOVE FORWARD TO THE ENEMY, having two shooting weapons greatly reduce their CC abilities.

The fact is that there is nothing scaryer than a T-L str10 Lascannon rushing at you with a crushing fist, no ?

I almost forgt to precise I made him Venerable, which is pretty self explanatory of you know the rules.

So, what do you think of my config ?
Venerable Dreadnought with T-L lascannon, Tank Hunter. 155
Old 20 Aug 2007, 18:42   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Durza
Default Re: What's your Dreadnought configuration ?

Well the thing is, Dreadnaughts are generally kitted with a role in mind, Assualt cannon and power fist for taking out infantry, and lascannon and missle launcher for tank hunting. So are you trying to use it to tank hunt? Then you'd have a hard time taking out tanks, because one twin-linkied shot vs two shots (Lascannon and missle) is less odds, and you'll have a hard time getting your power fist close to other vehicles. And against infantry, 1 shot vs 4?.

But it's your dread, do what you want.

Sorry if this is not very coherent, it's 3 in the morning and I'm going to bed. :P
Durza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Aug 2007, 20:21   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Im also thinking of this solution, with a TL las and a fist, to give him that CC capability that you need against some enemies, whilst also being able to gun down those biggie tanks easy.

In my upcoming army, i plan on fielding 2 dreads.

the first, TL lascannon, CCW - simple and effective, able to deal with all enemies in both ranged and CC.

second one, Im not all that decided on. Im thinking of going off the charts, and give him a missile and assault cannon, to really give him that ranged power. But then, Im thinking that I could use the fist, to make him a grand infantry killer. but the missile could be good to autokill infantry, and to pop a light tank once in a while.
Old 20 Aug 2007, 23:47   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I think that you would probably be better off thinking of it like this: do you want a maneuverable lascannon to get stuck in hth?

Personally I would avoid any close combat with a lascannon toting model period. Even one turn of not firing when you are paying that many points to be able to fire with it is a bad idea. Which means to me that the dreadnought close combat weapon would only be useful in the unlikely event that he gets charged, which also means that if he gets charged your opponent is trying to do two things... shut down that lascannon and destroy the dread (though there are those that will charge a dread with something that can't destroy it just to tie it up...).

Personally I would rather give him the extra missile launcher and have him shooting two guns at an extended range. You should be using that movement to keep him out of sight from things you don't want shooting at him and to keep him out of hth period.

As for what dreads I would take, I see a podding multi-melta dread being useful, I personally have a venerable with plasma cannon and the twin las/missile dread. I'm also looking into wether or not the twin autocannon would be any good for my playstyle. I just know that I don't want to take the assault cannon dread as thats too large a crutch. I would rather win based on tactics and generalship rather than win because I spammed with rending gunfire.
Old 20 Aug 2007, 23:53   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to icer190

If you are going with anti-tank, go with the Lascannon-missle launcher combo, thats all I have to say about that.

But I take the CC/Assault cannon combo, because its the standard one for the Templar, and that keeps it cheeper.
icer190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Aug 2007, 23:33   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to LordAbsol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legatus Glacies(Icer)
If you are going with anti-tank, go with the Lascannon-missle launcher combo, thats all I have to say about that.

But I take the CC/Assault cannon combo, because its the standard one for the Templar, and that keeps it cheeper.

Just remember never take this option against the eldar?
The majority of their cc fighters have a 4up save. And in my experience these dreadnoughts tend to be First choice of target by all able to damage it at range.

Just so the units that are no match to its assault cannon can charge free of its menace.
[/td]
[td]
Vote for Tau Online[br]Before me grasp does drain thy life, I pray thee, Beg of thy God for their forgivness, for only then will me grasp upon you siece. [br]
Can you see this this!!!!! WORD
[/td]
[td]

[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]
LordAbsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Aug 2007, 02:16   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Which why I always drop pod my dreads! Anyways if you're looking for a more close up punch drop podding the Multi-Melta can be extremely effective like Howloutloud said. That way you can actually have a decent chance of charging something vehicular with the DCCW.

War is great! Well, except for that dying part ...
BeserkWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Aug 2007, 00:59   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I like my furioso dreads, but for normal dreads I'd go with ml/plas. Pop on tank hunter and thats some heavy fire power going into tanks and easily turned onto foot sloggers too. Try a frag/plas on some vypers, buggies, or piranhas, your opponet doesnt tend to like you too much if they like those choices.