Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Dark Angels Tankbuster squad
Old 15 Aug 2007, 07:23   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Dark Angels Tankbuster squad

Bear in mind this is from a total newb. I simply want to share a tactic I came up with and find out if anyone else uses it, if there are better ways to use it and generally share the idea.

I'm often at a loss as to what to use my troop's for, what their role is. So usually they end up as either cannon fodder, or just sitting around an area hoping for targets of opportunity.

I decided to take a pro-active approach here and make a dedicated tank-hunting squad.

Consists of 4 guys and a sarge in a rhino (was going with razorback, but the rhino is cheaper and the 2 firing points seem to make it more effective.

They can also be a combat squad separate from the other half equipped with a heavy weapon.

Sarge has powerfist and plasma pistol.
One trooper has a meltagun.
The rest just have bolters, but bear in mind all dark angels are equipped with krak-grenades by default.

Idea is for them to pick a vehicle on the battlefield and then try to get as close as possible in the rhino. On the first turn they get in range, the Sarge can fire the plasma pistol and the trooper can fire the meltagun from the firing points on the rhino.

This usually stuns or shakes the crew of the tank at least if it doesn't outright kill them. Subsequent turns are used to disembark and eventually assault a vehicle.

On Assaults I get to fire a meltagun at close range which is very unfortunate for vehicles, as well as a plasma pistol (str 7). I also get four attacks with the sarge using the Powerfist (str8).

In an assault, everyone else on the squad gets to try and place a krak grenade as well. (4 guys needing a 6 usually and a 5 or a 6 to damage)

In general, these guys seem to be pretty effective, and I've taken out 2 tanks in 2 games with them so far. Gonna start pinning extra purity seals and kill markings onto them.

So any feedback?
Old 15 Aug 2007, 20:59   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Dark Angels Tankbuster squad

Sounds like a good idea. For me and my Space wolves our anti tank usually consist of assault cannons and power fists. I guess I have been rather fortunate to not have run into this situation. I have tried this tactic on earlier occasions and find it rather effective. Though my unites tend to stay inside the tank which can increase their survivability.

On a side note, the squad inside of the vehicle can fire its weapons after the smoke launchers are fired right? Heres the reading under entry for smoke launchers in the vehicle armory " The vehicle may not fire in the same turn it uses the smoke launchers..." Pg 25 Codex:Space Marines.
The people inside aren't "the vehicle" right? I would assume that they can shoot.
Old 15 Aug 2007, 22:48   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Yeah, it IS possible to use smoke launchers and the fire out the top hatch, which is really cool when you're going after a really high armored vehicle.

This kind of tactic is realy effective. I play my Sisters of Battle a lot and most of my army is mounted in rhinos, so it lives and breathes off of stuff like this. Thanks for bringing it up here!
Old 16 Aug 2007, 01:12   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Slightly unrelated question: With the new Combat Squads rule.

Can I take a Razorback as a transport for a 10 man squad and then split them when I deploy them, one combat squad in the Razorback and one on foot?

Second: Are you guys sure about the smoke and passengers firing thing? Seems just a tad ...dunno... rules bendy. Doesn't really make sense fluff wise. I could see this potentially causing some raised eyebrows and muttered comments during a game.
Old 16 Aug 2007, 02:28   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I'm almost positive that units in a transport count as part of the vehicle for firing.
Old 16 Aug 2007, 02:33   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plastic Rat
Second: Are you guys sure about the smoke and passengers firing thing? Seems just a tad ...dunno... rules bendy. Doesn't really make sense fluff wise. I could see this potentially causing some raised eyebrows and muttered comments during a game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander_Vimes
I'm almost positive that units in a transport count as part of the vehicle for firing.
I agree with Commander Vimes, it's a stretch to say that the gunner can't see but an infantryman standing where the turret would be somehow can.

[hr]

I have to commend you, I have no idea what to do with my DA Tacticals... my "fight as ten" and "drop-strike" fluff are murder for points !
AuinMyrrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Aug 2007, 03:08   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander_Vimes
In that case... If a non-fast vehicle moves more than 6" where it wouldn't normally be able to fire, are the passengers allowed to fire from the firing points?
Old 16 Aug 2007, 06:09   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to 33rd Sirican Redbacks

Reminds me of a CSM rhino trick i did by buying the rhino a combi melta and having 2 melta CSM in the tank.
Old 16 Aug 2007, 07:45   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Yes you can buy a razorback for a ten man squad, it gave me a baby pred in my tournie army

I've never honestly thought about a dedicated tank hunters squad in the wya you made it, my tacticals usually split and have a fire base (with plasma cannons) and assaulty elements (mmm power fists)

for anti tank I was thinking of a deathwing squad with cyclone missile launcher (yeah assault cannonas can rend but they are for anti infantry) 2 chain fists, vet sarge with thunder hammer and a sinlge power fist and deep strike these guys where I can get side or rear armour in maybe turn 3
adreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Aug 2007, 04:02   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by adreal
Yes you can buy a razorback for a ten man squad, it gave me a baby pred in my tournie army
Ok, one of the guys at my LGS says he checked and NO, you can't. The squad is only separated on deployment and a transport has to be big enough for a whole squad when you buy it.

I'm still not sure either way, is there anywhere you can go to get official answers on this?