Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

New Space Marine Army help...
Old 14 Aug 2007, 22:51   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default New Space Marine Army help...

I hope this is the right forum for this.

When I first go into Warhammer 40k, it was because of the Space Marine models looking cool. Since then, I have played the game quite a few times and enjoy it a lot.

When I first started, I was more interested in what my models looked like, well, at least the color scheme of them. (My first models really suck, because as concerned as I was with what they looked like, I didn't really try to hard to make them very detailed or even very nice). I didn't know what models to get really. Somehow I won most of my games, probably through the sheer strength of my Terminators and Terminator Chaplain.

Now, I am opposite. I am very interested in making a good looking army, but I have more ideas for what kind of army I am going to have as opposed to what color they are going to be.

I never thought I would actually need help deciding a color scheme, but I... need help deciding a color scheme for my Marines.

I originally had the idea to make them a rip off of the Spartans from 300 - Bright Red and Bright Gold.

For example

(Some models would have golden helmets, ect)

I am worried this will look too much like certain Blood Angels models though. What do you guys think?

Can anyone offer me some suggestions, or show me some models or websites to inspire me that have a variety of different Space Marine (or Chaos Space Marines even) color schemes that could give me a solid idea? Show me some of your models. I think I am looking for something with a main color, and then gold or silver as the secondary color. I would like to stay away from black, only because my last army was black and I am kind of bored with it.

Thanks guys!

Old 14 Aug 2007, 23:35   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: New Space Marine Army help...

While they may look like Blood Angels, as long as they don't have the tear/wing motif the BA have you should be right
adreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Aug 2007, 08:57   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

you could field them all in robes, to set them apart from blood angels. May I ask from which chapter/legion they are made?
Old 16 Aug 2007, 16:21   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apocalyptic
you could field them all in robes, to set them apart from blood angels. May I ask from which chapter/legion they are made?
I am just making one up now. I need the color first before I can start the name. I have also been deciding between

and

the blue in the second one is going to be Midnight Blue, the exact same color as Crimson Fists. (Although my army will not be a Crimson Fists chapter).

I love the idea of using models with the robes. They look great, my only problem is I am basicaly a beginner at painting and I know from my Terminator Librarian I have, that it is hard to start off painting robes. I know I have to learn it someday (Well, I really want to learn it) - but starting made up of many robed models may be hard to do.

What color scheme listed here would be easiest to paint and highlight and generally make look decent? Someone told me white can be tricky. Why is this?

Old 16 Aug 2007, 19:01   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

I really like the red one actually! The gold cuffs and arm set them nicely apart from the blood Angels and the blue eyes help further differentiate.

Just make sure you don't use Blood red, try using Mechrite read instead. Also make sure the gold you use is gold and not bronze and they will look quite different from Blood Angels I think.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Gah! Not a silly Canadian. Can't Falstead ever be wrong?!?!? ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe (Autarch Kiardras)
My god.... the sarcasm there nearly shorted out my computer screen Nice.
Falstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Aug 2007, 20:48   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to titankiller

Trust me when I tell you that doing all-white Marines is a pain in the ass. Some of my first Marines were white, and they were wretched. I like the idea of white Marines, but painting them is hard. However, I like both the blue and red color schemes that you have posted. I&#39;d say go with which ever you like best.

P.S. Midnight Blue looks more purplish, IMO. You might want to try Regal Blue instead.
Old 16 Aug 2007, 23:10   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

I think he might be trying to get away from a colour similure to ultramarines, anyways you speak of ungodly expierences painting robes, might I ask what you did, and what colour you were hoping for because my DA have alot of robes in there, and I could show you my robed marines and then tell you how I got that colour if you like
Old 17 Aug 2007, 03:02   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Do show me. I tried painting them the creamish color you see with Dark Angels... like the tannish cloth color. It just looked horrible... but that could be because when I did paint them (so long ago...) I had no clue about highlighting, drybrushing, or inks!

I have been told that Midnight Blue can look kind of purplish. What about Regal Blue with a black basecoat?
Old 17 Aug 2007, 06:58   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Location: Hinton, Alberta,Canada ,North America,Earth, Milkyway,Universe.
Send a message via MSN to iggy

Adreal could you just post the pictures in this topic? I would like to see what you did I have a few veterans to paint myself.
Old 18 Aug 2007, 11:26   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

well I can try....
anyways I start with a base of vermin brown
then I go for a 1/2 vermin 1/2 bleached bone mix
then a 1/4 vermin 3/4 bleached bone mix
then a solid bleached bone

that&#39;s a vet sarge

and my deathwing....even though they are small