Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

How do chapters have fleets when they only have 1,000 men?
Old 13 Aug 2007, 19:47   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to T pok Send a message via MSN to T pok
Default How do chapters have fleets when they only have 1,000 men?

It just came to me that the marines are lacking in numbers and yet they have fleets...

Wouldn't space marines need more men to crew their ships? So how do they do this? Are they largly auto-mated, or do the marines somehow preform the dutys of several hunderd normal men, or.... ?

brave kid, i don't know if i could do that. whichever girl gets you for life is the luckiest in the world.
T pok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Aug 2007, 20:03   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: How do chapters have fleets when they only have 1,000 men?

In Space Wolf, they have crewmen. A chapter is made up of about 1,000 marines, that's not necessarily how many people are in the chapter.

Of course that's Space Wolves, not exactly a codex chapter(Quite a bit more than 1,000 marines). Codex chapters might do it differently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by runer60000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead
I believe so, I get mine at Walgreen's for around $7. Brake Fluid works too (Pine Sol Works on metals, not so well on plastics), but I prefer the spraycanniness of the Easy Off. Spray it (Wear gloves, it's important), let it sit, and take a toothbrush to it later.
so what your saying is that oven cleaner can remove paint from plastic models? and after that, you take a toothbrush to your plastic model, and the paint just comes off?
Gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Aug 2007, 20:04   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch-Duke of Prussia
It just came to me that the marines are lacking in numbers and yet they have fleets...

Wouldn't space marines need more men to crew their ships? So how do they do this? Are they largly auto-mated, or do the marines somehow preform the dutys of several hunderd normal men, or.... ?
... they have those roles performed by servitors or chapter serfs (human servants loyal to the chapter). Space marines, as I understand it, generally serve their fleets more in the command and control roles.
Droofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Aug 2007, 20:26   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

Human serfs and servitors do 99% of the crew. Depends upon the Chapter which ratio they have of servitors/humans serving on their vessels.

Iron Hands make use of servitors and very serfs. Blood Angels and other Chapters make use of more human serfs. It is also important to note that Space Marine aren't nessecary commanded by Space Marines, and each vessel will have a human captain which commands the vessel when their isn't any Marines aorund. The captain/Marine command structure is different in each Chapter. In some, the vessel captain and the Space Marine captains are equals, others have the vessel captain as subservient to all Marines, regardless of the rank of the Space Marine, and some captains only take orders directly from the Company Captains, Librarians and Chaplains.
FTyross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Aug 2007, 20:37   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer Tyross
Human serfs and servitors do 99% of the crew. Depends upon the Chapter which ratio they have of servitors/humans serving on their vessels.

Iron Hands make use of servitors and very serfs. Blood Angels and other Chapters make use of more human serfs. It is also important to note that Space Marine aren't nessecary commanded by Space Marines, and each vessel will have a human captain which commands the vessel when their isn't any Marines aorund. The captain/Marine command structure is different in each Chapter. In some, the vessel captain and the Space Marine captains are equals, others have the vessel captain as subservient to all Marines, regardless of the rank of the Space Marine, and some captains only take orders directly from the Company Captains, Librarians and Chaplains.
IT also varies greatly from chapter to chapter. The Space Wolf serfs are more like storm troopers in their training and equipment and are responsible with the ships defence when the Space Wolves go on their insane boarding actions. In the Soul Drinkers chapter they were nothing more than slaves fit for little more than cannon fodder and the Iron Hands use a very high number of Servitors.

Also not all chapters have human Ship Captains. The Blood Angels and Blood Ravens have a senior Space Marine officer and that officer will rarely leave the bridge for the Blood Angels. The Blood Ravens have the resident Company Captains command their ships into battle. It all depends on the chapter and there really is no "norm" with so many different approaches and there is little indication as to what is "codex" and what is not.

Vash113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Aug 2007, 03:30   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

while it's true that most of the work is done by serfs or servitors, some chapters (e.g, Black Templars), have their chapter aspirants or novitiates operate the controls in the bridge and armoury, as well as build their leadership skills by having them command the gun-crews and engine-serfs.
MasterOfTheWatch_Archis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Aug 2007, 03:40   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfTheWatch_Archis
while it's true that most of the work is done by serfs or servitors, some chapters (e.g, Black Templars), have their chapter aspirants or novitiates operate the controls in the bridge and armoury, as well as build their leadership skills by having them command the gun-crews and engine-serfs.
Yes, but Black Templars hardly ever have 1000 men per fleet...Also there are more than 10 fleets or "companies" as you codex marines call them.

Besides there are more than serfs and servitors. There are also navigators, actual pilots, and let's not forget your standard imperial psyker.

No Pity No Remorse No Fear
[hr]
"All we see or seem is but a dream within a dream."-Edgar Allen Poe
[hr]
[quote=Earring (Busy Destroying the World)]
Don't worry too much...remember...females can smell fear
Malchior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Aug 2007, 04:14   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Ahh that makes allot of sense... Thank you.
brave kid, i don't know if i could do that. whichever girl gets you for life is the luckiest in the world.
Old 14 Aug 2007, 04:16   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

I imagine it also works a lot like the Mobile Infantry in Starship Troopers (the book, not the movie). Space Marines serve many functions on board ship (although only as officers), but when the time comes to load the drop pods, only the servitors and serfs are left behind to crew the ship.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Aug 2007, 04:22   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Have their been cases when the serfs have rebelled when the marines are planet side leaving them stranded?