Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

templar vs. necorns
Old 13 Aug 2007, 02:44   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default templar vs. necorns

hey all. I'm playing against my friend's necorns, since i broke this dark angels the other day. the scary thing is he owns three monoliths. Any way, any tactics for that sorta threat would help greatly. the only really one i can think of is making him phase out. well thanks in advance.
rune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Aug 2007, 02:51   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: templar vs. necorns

What points limit are yall playing at? What type of lists can you field? What can he field? Really need more details before I can offer any advice...

Also, after the game, find his mini case and dump the contents into a grinder/shredder and then put what's left into a shaker. It goes great on pasta, pizza, nachos, etc., just like all other forms of cheese. - xShaperx
Morgue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Aug 2007, 03:01   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgue
What points limit are yall playing at? What type of lists can you field? What can he field? Really need more details before I can offer any advice...

oh, we will probley be about the 1750 to the 2000 pt list. though he can make a 4000 pt necrons list. And has thrown the three monoliths threats. my list will probley be 2 ten man crusaders with power fists and melta guns, a pred or 2, assulte squad, tremies, and maybe a landraider. and thats just off the top of my head.
Old 13 Aug 2007, 03:13   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Get some Holy Orbs in your army to auto glance those monos. Really fun tactic.

No Pity No Remorse No Fear
[hr]
"All we see or seem is but a dream within a dream."-Edgar Allen Poe
[hr]
[quote=Earring (Busy Destroying the World)]
Don't worry too much...remember...females can smell fear
Malchior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Aug 2007, 03:20   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

First, I have to ask what point limit are you guys playing? What else does he field? What do you field?

I assume 2000+ because 3 monoliths cost 705 points. If he deepstrikes them watch out. Keep you squads away from table edges. I say this because if a unit is under the monolith when it deep strikes then you must move them (if you near an edge he could push them off (if I'm not mistaken.)) Try to spread out your units. If them are close together they WILL fall to the Gauss Flux arcs (fires D6 shots at every unit within 12" of the monolith.) He will probably try to port some of his squads too so be mindfull of that. The monolith is a tough nut to crack so here are some tips..

1) Pray he doesn't Deep strike them (they move slowly (6" I believe) so if he fields them normally use it's slow speed to your advantage.)

2) If only one deep strikes in a turn throw some AP2 (AP3 if you don't have AP2) and pie plates at it you might get lucky.

3) If they deep strike together then try to at least shake stun them(he can still use the particle whip or portal but he can't use his flux arcs) with pie plates and AP2 or 3

4) Armor is the same on all sides

5) He can't use the portal if he uses the particle whip.

Now going for phase out should be your priority untill he deep strikes the monoliths. He can't be fielding too many necron units with 3 liths (unless your playing 2500+.) ALWAYS try to elminate entire units (negates WBB unless there is another unit of the same type within 6" or there is a tomb spider withen 12" and another like model any where on the battlefield.) Go for destroyers first. These guys lay down a ton of gauss fire and move as Jet bikes. They will probably be in small units so they are a good first target.
Then go for warriors (or anything that is on its own.) Pie plate his warriors and use high strength weapons (str8) to inta- kill (negating WBB unless there is a lord with res orb within 6".) Since you play templars try to get into some HtH with his warriors they have low intiative . *

Note: Watch out for scarabs. If he takes them he will try to tie up high points squads.

That is all I can say for now without knowing what else he is fielding. I hoped that helped.

Quote:
Peek a boo, I steal from you. -Homer Simpson
Quote:
Ah uh ahhhhh!
Can't touch me! Can't touch me!
Ju...ju...ju...ju...just like the bad guy from Lethal Weapon 2
I've got diplomatic imunity so Hammer you can't sue...- Peter Griffin
darkblader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Aug 2007, 03:27   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

yah its hard to know what hell use cause hes got enough for a list off full distroyers, has a quite a few warriors and the three lifts its not the nicest army
Old 13 Aug 2007, 03:38   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

He might try a flying circus list (Maxed out destroyers). Lots of gauss fire, fast (moves 12" without turboboosting), long range. If he takes this he will most likely keep all destroyers within 6" of each other for WBB purposes. Try throwing some pie plates at them or get into combat with them (you said you'll take power fists.) What out for heavies too.

Just keep to my points on phase out, the monolith (if he takes one(he's probably trying to scare you)) and scarabs. Be prepared for anything because he has a lot of choice. Try to remain mobile and use cover. I don't know much about Templars so these are just tips. Use what applies to Templars and more specifically your list. But the most important tips I can give are...

1) Have Fun.

2) Make him play your game! Keep him on his toes.

Just read all the tips that have been given by myself and others and you should do fine.

PS. It's Necrons not Necorns. ;D

Quote:
Peek a boo, I steal from you. -Homer Simpson
Quote:
Ah uh ahhhhh!
Can't touch me! Can't touch me!
Ju...ju...ju...ju...just like the bad guy from Lethal Weapon 2
I've got diplomatic imunity so Hammer you can't sue...- Peter Griffin
darkblader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Aug 2007, 04:06   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to InsanitysFall

Just a little note:

Firing low AP weapons at the monolith is fairly much useless unless it's AP1. AP 1 is the only one that will penetrate on a glancing.

You will be looking for a mass of high strength weapons like meltas, multimeltas and lascannons.
Old 13 Aug 2007, 07:19   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

-Avoid taking too many vehicles, Guass weapons are known to preform statutory rape on most Space Marine vehicles with the exception of the LR and LRC.

-Employ a host of Lascannons and stay out of his range with your Heavy Weapons squads.

-Use Holy Orbs in your Crusader units to wreck his Monoliths, but only if they Deep Strike. Otherwise focus on phasing him out in melee combat. You'll want lots of Assault Marines and your Command Squad to get into the thick of it early with power weapons to take advantage of his disturbingly low initiative.
Frogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Aug 2007, 14:27   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Frogger there is a problem with your holy orb actions. Crusader squads are unable to take any. It would be the characters that can take items from the armory.

But continuing on....

BT can't take devestators. Sadly his lascannon advantage is extremely shortened. If you have LRC or LR's bring them in immediatly, and keep your squads in them so they don't get torn to pieces. Though, if your squads can get into combat ASAP then he will be locked in and will have to be forced to watch his beautiful skeleton hordes fall to the might of the Emperor!

Dreadnoughts will held much as well! Assault cannons will rip through enemy squads and kill whatever is left.
And there is always the lascannon missile launcher approach (not suggested due to it's low capability)

I say to try and keep your men in the vehicles and those that can't should try to get into the safety of combat. Yes, safety.

No Pity No Remorse No Fear
[hr]
"All we see or seem is but a dream within a dream."-Edgar Allen Poe
[hr]
[quote=Earring (Busy Destroying the World)]
Don't worry too much...remember...females can smell fear
Malchior is offline   Reply With Quote