Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

"DeathRaven" Terminator delivery tactic...
Old 01 Aug 2007, 12:23   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default "DeathRaven" Terminator delivery tactic...

Hey peoples

I haven't yet fielded my Deathwing alongside my Ravenwing bikes as yet, but i have a tourney in 6 weeks, so i beg the question- who has been using their Bikes to guide in their "Deathwing Assaulting" termies? My last few games have seen my CC-loaded DW Squad go perilously close to the table edge due to deepstrike scatter, and then get shot-up before they can engage in cc.. they never really made their pts back.

MY new squad will be replacing the CC termies, equipped with stormbolters/pfists and an Assault Cannon. My plan was (if the situation/scenario suits) to deploy my 3 Ravenwing bikes forward up on their 12-15" deployment line, make their scout move 12" and on my turn one drop my squad in front of them (up to 6" ahead, no scatter).

This means i can drop straight in and be (theoretically) right on the enemy deployment zone... with some serious dakka and powerfisty goodness . I know this "in your face" approach wont work against everyone, but im thinking it might be useful for making an impression!!! Ie, i'm about to stomp you into oblivion... Repent!

Thoughts or opinions? Im going to playtest this as much as possible prior to the tourney, but im not 100% sure... can anyone offer some guidance? Suggestions?

Thanks,
Kapow

"Robed" Dark Angels-2500pts
kapow ur dead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Aug 2007, 14:32   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: "DeathRaven" Terminator delivery tactic...

I'd make certain that your scout move places you behind some cover, as the enemy has a 50% chance to win first turn, and shooting down 3 Ravenwing isn't terribly hard.

As you say, this plan should do awesome against some armies, and have trouble with other armies.

Deathwing is a hard win in many tournaments due to lack of scoring units, so be careful with those ravenwing after they finish calling in backup.
Old 01 Aug 2007, 14:34   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Deep Striking takes time; your opponent will have already lost his valuable ranged vehicles by now and you don't want termies dropping into a CC unit. Terminators are burly, yes, but high-initiative opponents with power weapons or rending attacks will tear you apart (plus they get the charge after you deep strike).

Don't get me wrong, Powerfists are awesome weapons-against Monstrous Creatures; but, unless you're going for that tooled-up Daemon Prince/Nightbringer/CCfex you're not going to like melee. The assault cannon is nice, but you might as well purchase a second to maximize your effectiveness when you're out of CC.
Frogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Aug 2007, 14:37   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

I love the sound of it but bear in mind that bikes will get into CC very quickly, and so your Termie's weapons won't have very long (if any chance at all) to fire at the enemy squads before they get embroiled in melee.
Old 01 Aug 2007, 15:50   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Its been awhile since I really looked at the Dark Angel Codex but I do know if he buys only 5 termies they can only have 1 assault cannon. Now I guess the question is how are you going to support this little tactic?

War is great! Well, except for that dying part ...
BeserkWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Aug 2007, 21:08   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Take into account distance, use at least 3 units of deathwing and 2 full ravenwing. Make sure that you fill up the rest of your army list with things you actually need (wether its that predator with 3 lascannons or the vindicator or even a whirlwind...).

Done right and its a very nasty tactic/army. In fact, I only bring out my Deathwing/Ravenwing army when I know I'm going to be up against someone I don't like. We're talking about a list that will tear apart the Lysander wing, I've stomped the normal min/maxers and nidzilla. Even Harlequin heavy eldar aren't that hard for this list (though you would think otherwise with their rending attacks...)
Old 02 Aug 2007, 03:38   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Yes, i can only take one Assault Cannon, and this tactic is only going to be employed where i think it can really punish a flank or specific unit. Im thinking of using it to remove enemy artillery, ie whirlwinds, basilisks, but also using it to disrupt and confound- i want to use this tactic to force my opponent to reconsider their plans, and to have to channel men and firepower to remove the big bad Terminators on their doorstep.

My backup for this tactic is a Whirlwind, a RWing Landspeeder w Assault Can/HB (for supporting fire- two assault cannons better than one) and a Plas Cannon/MLauncher dread for long range support.

Plus, two tactical squads of 10 men, with Plas Guns/Plas Cannons and a single 5 man squad with Plas Gun. I know, thats Plasma overkill, but this is a DA fluff overload army, and Plasma is the DA trademark weapon.

Im also running a Terminator armour Interrogator Chaplain as well, he may be DS'd with the Terminators if the situation suits...

"Robed" Dark Angels-2500pts
kapow ur dead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Aug 2007, 17:03   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapow Ur Dead
Plus, two tactical squads of 10 men, with Plas Guns/Plas Cannons and a single 5 man squad with Plas Gun. I know, thats Plasma overkill, but this is a DA fluff overload army, and Plasma is the DA trademark weapon.
No, No, No...

That is a falsehood created in the third edition Dark Angels codex. Since we were the first founding chapter, and at the time regular dreads and tactical squads couldn't have plasma cannons they gave them to us to show that we were the first.

It's not fluffy, its just the only way for games workshop at the time had to show we were the first. Something along the lines of " Hmmm, they were the first marine chapter, and their primarch was the first found... I know, lets give them a weapon no one else has! Nevermind that maybe they could have other special abilities like the blood angels and the space wolves. Let's just give them plasma cannons, allow them to take termie based armies and biker armies and be done with it...."

4th edition kind of screwed up that logic.

I'm not saying don't take the plasma gun/plasma cannon combo. It's actually not that bad of a combo... I'm just saying don't do it just because its fluffy.
Old 02 Aug 2007, 17:11   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Er, Horus was the first Primarch found, not the Lion.

"In the nightmare future of the far future there is only war." - Apocalypse
O Y Montyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Aug 2007, 17:15   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

One of the nicest things about the Deathwing/Ravenwing combo is that you don't need to use it. It is very easy for opponents who know about the army to assume that the Deathwing are only going to show up within 6" of a Ravenwing biker. This can lull them into a false sense of security elsewhere on the battlefield.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote