Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

BT HQ Choices...
Old 30 Jul 2007, 18:33   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default BT HQ Choices...

Hey, I'm just about to start collection a small Black Templar force, all I've got right now is some money and 10 Initiates. So now I'm setting my eyes on a HQ choice. But seeing all the wargear and model choices there are, it just appears to be a big swamp where everything sounds awesome.

So I'm hoping you to shred some light on this. My first thought goes to a Castellan with a Command Squad attached. Now, are the command squad worth the costs, or are they just about to become very expensive template fodder?

Second would be how to equip a HQ choice. Do you generally use them as anti-TEQ/ anti-armour/ or a simple C&C carnage unit?

And how do you equip these units?

Power weapon/ Power fist/ Lightning Claws etc etc, they all sounds absolutely brilliant, but when and where to use what?

My friends are playing Tyranids, Guards and Chaos.

The guards keep their focus on masses of infantry, the Chaos force usually mech's two troops choices, gets a cheap HQ and gets ready for some summoning madness.

Any tips or directions at all are most welcomed

Cheers!
Frances is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jul 2007, 19:42   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: BT HQ Choices...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frances
Hey, I'm just about to start collection a small Black Templar force, all I've got right now is some money and 10 Initiates. So now I'm setting my eyes on a HQ choice. But seeing all the wargear and model choices there are, it just appears to be a big swamp where everything sounds awesome.

So I'm hoping you to shred some light on this. My first thought goes to a Castellan with a Command Squad attached. Now, are the command squad worth the costs, or are they just about to become very expensive template fodder?

Second would be how to equip a HQ choice. Do you generally use them as anti-TEQ/ anti-armour/ or a simple C&C carnage unit?

And how do you equip these units?

Power weapon/ Power fist/ Lightning Claws etc etc, they all sounds absolutely brilliant, but when and where to use what?

My friends are playing Tyranids, Guards and Chaos.

The guards keep their focus on masses of infantry, the Chaos force usually mech's two troops choices, gets a cheap HQ and gets ready for some summoning madness.

Any tips or directions at all are most welcomed

Cheers!
The Commander option may be worth it if your going to have multiple squads of templars here and there.

The Command squad is good, because your not seperating in escalation games. But you should keep it as cheap as possible, it can quickly spiral out of control and end up a very crappy unit. I'd suggest a Meltagun or 2, and a Vet w/ Powerfist at most, you dont really need the company champion(or whatever its called) because your HQ choice is solid enough in CC.

Personally, i always choose a reclusiarch to lead my forces. Since you will take many Leadership tests, i find it best to always pass automatically. I like the way my reclusiarch dictates where my squad goes not the enemy. If your force is indeed small, this may be a better option. I've had bad expeiriences still failing Ld 10.

I never really add to many stuff to my characters, i just add a simple bolt pistol and frag grenade on the Reclusiarch. I take the vow that lets you hit on a 3+ so powerfist in the squads helps out.

A powerweapon is wasted on things with medicore saves, but i'd still add it on because the squads S4 is usually enough to take care of 'nids and guardsmen.

But personally(again) i'd rather add on too a 10 man crusader squad with neophytes, rather than have a command squad. The neophytes die quickly and allow me to get closer. I recommend always taking a meltagun in footsquads and a powerfist too.
Gimmers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jul 2007, 20:34   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

I don't use command squads myself as they can't have neophytes (the exception being Helbrecht). But that's coming from a footslogger. I prefer to attach them to 15ish man crusader squads.

Since assault focused crusader squads need leadership for Righteous Zeal, I usually attach a HQ (this gives them crusader seals too) so I give them melee gear. Power weapons and bolt pistols or 2 lighting claws work well. No powerfists or thunder hammers, you'll want to take advantage of their higher initiative.

Also, always, ALWAYS give your HQ a Holy orb of Antioch, that thing works miracles. Took out a venerable dread and a hammerhead (in addition to a bunch of troops) in a 500pt tourney I played recently.

A Chaplain is a nice HQ for small to medium games. Rerolls while assaulting and automatically passing Zeal test is great. Once you get to where you have a lot of infantry squads, you'll probably want a Marshal (always try to take them over Castellans for the extra leadership) so Zeal and Kill Them All doesn't screw you over.
Vanden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jul 2007, 20:47   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

DO you have an Emporer's champoin? If not you'll need one, if so I'll echo the Chaplin. Auto passing RZ has been a pain when I'm fighting them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by runer60000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead
I believe so, I get mine at Walgreen's for around $7. Brake Fluid works too (Pine Sol Works on metals, not so well on plastics), but I prefer the spraycanniness of the Easy Off. Spray it (Wear gloves, it's important), let it sit, and take a toothbrush to it later.
so what your saying is that oven cleaner can remove paint from plastic models? and after that, you take a toothbrush to your plastic model, and the paint just comes off?
Gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jul 2007, 20:54   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Commander with bolter and force sword, Terminator honors, Artificer Armor, metla bomb, powers might of heroes, veil of time and psychic hood and familar 205 points - very effect commander in battle, but it eats up a lot of points. I have taken down two tanks, 2 squads of tau and then my commander was destroyed the tau commander, but that was in one game. Also some down sides to this commander is you need to get really close to be effect. What so you could do is not have command and put him with jet pack to your commander in close combat faster.
Decidated zur Freiheit! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jul 2007, 21:06   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decidated zur Freiheit!
Commander with bolter and force sword, Terminator honors, Artificer Armor, metla bomb, powers might of heroes, veil of time and psychic hood and familar 205 points - very effect commander in battle, but it eats up a lot of points. I have taken down two tanks, 2 squads of tau and then my commander was destroyed the tau commander, but that was in one game. Also some down sides to this commander is you need to get really close to be effect. What so you could do is not have command and put him with jet pack to your commander in close combat faster.
You are aware we're talking about Black Templar, right? ???
Vanden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jul 2007, 21:39   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

yes
Old 30 Jul 2007, 21:43   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Commander with bolter and force sword, Terminator honors, Artificer Armor, metla bomb, powers might of heroes, veil of time and psychic hood and familar and is Epistolary 205 points - very effect commander in battle, but it eats up a lot of points. I have taken down two tanks, 2 squads of tau and then my commander was destroyed the tau commander, but that was in one game. Also some down sides to this commander is you need to get really close to be effect. What so you could do is not have command and put him with jet pack to your commander in close combat faster.
Old 30 Jul 2007, 22:23   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to titankiller

Dedicated zur Feriheit:

I hate to point this out, but that&#39;s a librarian you&#39;re describing; Black Templars can&#39;t take them (psykers are all evil! &gt;).

Frances:

First off all, its generally better to keep them cheaper; I usually try to keep them below 150 points each. Here&#39;s some of my humble opinions on equipment available specifically to Templar leaders. For the other stuff, go check out the link in the Important Links.

Cenobyte Servitor - I haven&#39;t used these, because I don&#39;t have footslogging Chaplains (I play mech BTs, and jump Chappys).

Holy Orb of Antioch - I don&#39;t have a lot of personal experience with these, mainly because I never have the points left over to buy them. However, I&#39;ve heard good stuff on them from other people. Worth a try.
Old 30 Jul 2007, 22:39   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

In small point games I would recommend the chaplain just because the leadership 10 won&#39;t be as much of an advantage, however if you plan on footslogging in larger games it is a must. The other thing is that unless you have a specific task for the HQ squad that a normal Crusader couldn&#39;t do, I wouldn&#39;t bother. The HQ&#39;s are excellent when used inside the squads, giving you power weapon attacks, and with the Chaplain, re-rolls. The other thing to remember is that the HQ&#39;s can have crusader seals and it affects the whole squad, making the righteous zeal more effective. On holy orbs, if you have the points get it. If used at the right time it will turn the battle.

War is great! Well, except for that dying part ...
BeserkWolf is offline   Reply With Quote