Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Has anyone used the FW Siege Dreadnaught?
Old 30 Jul 2007, 18:26   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Has anyone used the FW Siege Dreadnaught?

Well, battle brothers, after the Historicon game, my son's Imperial Fists finally have an excuse to pick up a dreadnaught. Brother Gaius of Sergeant Mathias's Assault Marines made a heroic last stand against 9 Eldar and felled them all before being cut down by a second wave a Xenos scum.

Fortunately, his battle brothers were able to recover his nearly lifeless corpse and install it into a Dreadnaught sarcophogas to honor their valiant warrior.

So here's my question. Has anyone used / assembled the Forgeworld Siege Dreadnaught? Specifically the MKIV Venerable version. I'd be interested to know how it was to assemble / paint. Also, I'd like to know how it works in games. I have the Forgeworld rules for it and they seem pretty cool. I suppose I can always use it as a standard venerable dreadnaught with a close combat weapon and meltagun.

Any feedback would be appreciated.
Em
Farseer_Emlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jul 2007, 18:40   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Has anyone used the FW Siege Dreadnaught?

I use the siege Dreadnought...it rocks. Sometimes you will run out of ammunition on the first shot, but the damage it can do is just horrifying. It's excellent if you mean to storm into close combat, but of less use in a pure fire support role because if it runs out of ammunition you'll be too distant to get that siege drill and heavy flamer into action.

I don't like the MkIV, but I love the Black Templars venerable dreadnought; I converted one for my Imperial Fists.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jul 2007, 19:06   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

I have a converted (upgraded legs) MKV model. I have a MKIV venerable, but it's not a siege dread. I've only used the big pyro once in a game and the inferno cannon got blown off before I could even get a shot off. However, I did trundle it up the board behind some cover and secure an objective with it, so it actually was quite helpful ;D. About the model, I imagine the MKIV's arms are rather similar to the MKV's just with the curvy shoulders, so I'm gonna go by that. The dread CCW arm has an insane amount of posability, however you'll likely have to shorten the peg on the dreadnought's torso since the socket on the siege dread arm is very shallow. You may want to rig up some sort of magnetic system if you want to be able to swap the arms on and off. As for the MKIV venerable model, it's got a simply fantastic amount of detail. Mine had an insane amount of flash, but I got it second hand and cheap, so if you order from FW and get a problem one I've heard they're pretty decent at replacing things (e-mailing them supposedly is a lil slow though).
I'd hate to get on his bad side... >
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiwaz
Fishy has just proved to me that Canadians CAN be scary...
Fish Ead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jul 2007, 20:09   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

I haven't assembled or used one but I've been on the other side of the table from one. It scared the willies out of me. An inferno cannon is a very good weapon especially in cities of death games. I think you should give it a go!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Gah! Not a silly Canadian. Can't Falstead ever be wrong?!?!? ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe (Autarch Kiardras)
My god.... the sarcasm there nearly shorted out my computer screen Nice.
Falstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jul 2007, 22:14   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Okay, guys, thanks for the feedback. I guess Brother Gaius is bound for the Siege Dreadnaught then...once I start working mad overtime. FW models are expensive...and the exchange rate doesn't help much - ouch. Still, it'll be worth it, I think.
Thanks,
Em
Farseer_Emlyn is offline   Reply With Quote