Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

the old termies
Old 29 Jul 2007, 03:34   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default the old termies

i bought a set of 7 of the older termies (on small bases, that are shorter than the new ones) for 5 dollars! unfortunately, only 5 are fit to be used. now my question is, are they still legal?
dragoniccam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jul 2007, 03:36   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: the old termies

They are legal so long as they are WYSIWYG, though I suggest you place them on the medium bases to avoid any contention. Although technically they come with the small base, Terminators now come on the medium base so using that would be best.

"In the nightmare future of the far future there is only war." - Apocalypse
O Y Montyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jul 2007, 03:59   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Isn't the only difference between the old termies and the plastic ones is thier poses? Because otherwise, they are identical. So I belive it should be legal.
Impulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jul 2007, 05:05   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

How old are these termies? I have a rogue trader (or slightly more recent) termy somwhere.....

"Sometimes, I'm embarrassed to be your friend..."
Shas O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jul 2007, 09:42   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Why would an old model not be legal? As long as it has the correct weapons and the correct size base no one could argue they are not legal.
So get new bases and go for it.
Old 29 Jul 2007, 10:17   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Ok, this is a point of contention, and many an argument has broken out about this exact issue....( god forbid we argue about more important things like whether or not there's a god or universal health care...)

Basically they came with the original smaller base, so thats all you have to mount them to. If you choose to mount them to the 40 mm base then thats exactly that - your choice. I've personally had to argue this one more times than I care, and I've heard the horror stories of someone being turned away from a game (not sure if it was a tourney or not) because he had the older metal termies on their original base.

To those people I say, try reading the rule book. It states very plainly that they can be modeled on whatever base you want as long as its not smaller than the one it originally came with.
Old 29 Jul 2007, 10:27   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howloutloud
Ok, this is a point of contention, and many an argument has broken out about this exact issue....( god forbid we argue about more important things like whether or not there's a god or universal health care...)

Basically they came with the original smaller base, so thats all you have to mount them to. If you choose to mount them to the 40 mm base then thats exactly that - your choice. I've personally had to argue this one more times than I care, and I've heard the horror stories of someone being turned away from a game (not sure if it was a tourney or not) because he had the older metal termies on their original base.

To those people I say, try reading the rule book. It states very plainly that they can be modeled on whatever base you want as long as its not smaller than the one it originally came with.
Funnily though that rule can be overriden if GW decides to do it. Most tournaments have now acknowleged the new bases....so that will be a tough one indeed. So basically if you hae been collecting the newer metal chaos termies, you can see that they give you the 40mm base along with the 25mm bases and this in itself is asign that Gw is setting the standard the the new termie base for now is the 40mm. The rule-lawyers and GW will always be torn over this one, as somehow one of their own statement contradicts and recontradicts their own words. A vicious cycle if you ask me.

It had become a standard for all termies these days to be sttuck on the 40 mm bases, and that is why almost al of the players have to literally rip them old termies off their base and put them on the new ones or just take the old base and glue it on the new base anc overing the old base with basing material.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
crisis_vyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jul 2007, 13:41   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Thats exactly what my problem is with it. Say I have a bunch of terminators from the original space hulk. I use them to play both space hulk and 40k, by having to remove them from their original bases and mount them to the 40 mm ones I make them legal for one game but invalidate the other.

This is not an example, I actually have the original space hulk, I still play it, and I refuse to remove my terminators from their fully modeled and painted base just because someone thinks they should now be on the new bases.

Could I still play space hulk with the new bases? It would be a pain in the.... but it is possible. Now, should I remove all the hard work I previously put into the models so that I can make someone else happy, even though they are on the bases that they originally came with?

I have a large group of the new terminators also, and I plan on buying a couple of boxes of the new chaos terminators when they come out. But if I feel like playing a game with my old still legal terminators there should be no questions asked. I should be able to write up my list and play like everyone else.

You know what, just because of this thread I'm going to rebuild my old school deathwing with space hulk terminators, rogue trader era land raiders and original metal dreadnought on the square bases. I'm going to take them to a tournament and I dare any judge to argue with me that my army isn't legal.
Old 29 Jul 2007, 16:19   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Magnetize. It's not that hard. That way, you can change their base whenever you need to.

Now, whether or not you have to place the old terminators on a 40 mm base, I'll not argue. However, there is absolutely no doubt that you should place them on the larger base. This avoids any arguments from opponents and ensures legality. Err on the side of caution, as they say.

Ye gods, those old Land Raiders are horrid things indeed...

"In the nightmare future of the far future there is only war." - Apocalypse
O Y Montyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jul 2007, 17:02   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Yeah.. to make it simple get the bigger base and you don't have to argue. And if you want to use the small bases sometimes (ie space hulk) get magnets. You can use magnets from old fridgemagnets or whatever and a pice of wire in the other end.