Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Please help. Are the sponsons on Predators twin-linked?
Old 23 Jul 2007, 04:23   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Please help. Are the sponsons on Predators twin-linked?

Good Evening, I play Ultramarines and got into a small problem at my local gaming store. The opposing playing stated that the rule book states, "Any weapon that is purchased twice is considered twin-linked." I understand that but I don't think that applies to sponson weapons on predators or landraiders. Just so we didn't end the game on this argument, we rolled dice to see which rule we use before clarification. Can someone please steer me were I can find the correct answer? This rule question mysterious appeared after I connected with 2 Annihilators w/ Lascannon sponsons and killed his supped up Carnifex. Thank You in advance. Ultramarines Forever!!!
robidark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jul 2007, 04:38   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Please help. Are the sponsons on Predators twin-linked?

Short answer: No. They are not twin-linked. Either to each other or individually.

Long answer: The Sponson section in the main rulebook may directly address this. At the least, you can point out that you did not buy the weapon twice. You purchased one upgrade, which happened to provide a sponson on each flank.
Old 23 Jul 2007, 05:44   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to halohog

Do you think he could have go it mixed up with the tau codex? Only, that has a very similar entry in the battlesuit armoury section...

Answer: no, they are seperate. But tell me, if you have a target on one side of the Predator, and another one on the other side, can you split sponson fire?
Old 23 Jul 2007, 06:08   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Quote:
Originally Posted by railgun convention
Do you think he could have go it mixed up with the tau codex? Only, that has a very similar entry in the battlesuit armoury section...

Answer: no, they are seperate. But tell me, if you have a target on one side of the Predator, and another one on the other side, can you split sponson fire?
No, vehicles cannot split fire unless specifically mentioned. For instance Tau vehicles with Target Locks may split fire. Space Wolf Long Fangs may split fire. Other than that there are precious few units that can split their fire, vehicles or otherwise.

Vash113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jul 2007, 06:13   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Well, Land Raider sponsons are twin-linked. Predator sponsons are not. So a Land Raider gets two rerollable lascannon shots from its sponsons, and a Predator just gets two regular lascannon shots, plus whatever is in the turret. But I suspect your Tyranid friend didn't know what he was talking about.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jul 2007, 06:15   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to halohog

ok, vash, thanks. needed to clear that, despite playing tau...
:

ADD: that's a fair point khanaris. then again, tyranids don't use vehicles...
Old 23 Jul 2007, 13:34   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to 33rd Sirican Redbacks

Also power of the machine spirit allows Landraiders (Loyal and chaos) to fire one weapon at a different target at bs2 (with re rolls with the twin hvy bolter and twin, Las), this comes in extremely handy as sponson weapons on a land raider rarely can both fire at the same target.
Old 23 Jul 2007, 15:43   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33rd Sirican Redbacks
also power of the machine spirit allows Landraiders (Loyal and chaos) to fire one weapon at a different target at bs2 (with re rolls with the twin hvy bolter and twin, Las), this comes in extremely handy as sponson weapons on a land raider rarely can both fire at the same target.
No, it just allows the gun to fire if it normally would not be able too. It no longer allows it to target a seperate unit.

That said please clean up your grammar, capitals and punctuation are required. This is your only warning, after this I'll simply start handing out smites and I really don't want to have to do that.

Vash113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jul 2007, 17:37   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash113
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33rd Sirican Redbacks
also power of the machine spirit allows Landraiders (Loyal and chaos) to fire one weapon at a different target at bs2 (with re rolls with the twin hvy bolter and twin, Las), this comes in extremely handy as sponson weapons on a land raider rarely can both fire at the same target.
No, it just allows the gun to fire if it normally would not be able too. It no longer allows it to target a seperate unit.
Mmmm. Read your codex, bud. You're playing off obsolete rules.

I can see where the Tyranid player was coming from though. If his monsterous creatures take two of the same weapon they count as twin-linked, so I guess he figured it applied to everything that apparently featured two of the same weapon.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jul 2007, 04:35   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to 33rd Sirican Redbacks

1. Vash what do you mean by punctuation? I put commas in its all part of one long sentence! all I forgot was the capital on the 'Also'.

2. Tom your right but for some reason my friend who is a chaos player keeps insisting it exists, even though not in either SM or CSM codexes.