Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Snipers
Old 21 Jul 2007, 17:26   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to Warning Label
Default Snipers

Im looking at taking 15 snipers in my army. I was confused about the armor penetration rules on em. A guy at GW said it counts as having S4 plus the 2D6. The rules appear to mean that you only role 2d6. Anyone wanna chime in as to whats really goin down?
Old 21 Jul 2007, 17:29   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Snipers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warning Label (in his second great return)
Im looking at taking 15 snipers in my army. I was confused about the armor penetration rules on em. A guy at GW said it counts as having S4 plus the 2D6. The rules appear to mean that you only role 2d6. Anyone wanna chime in as to whats really goin down?
The guys from GW is clearly mistaken. The rules for sniper rifles found on page 32 are pretty clear "no additional bonus for strength". However, this doesn't matter since SM sniper rilfes don't have a strength to begin with.

Hope this helps.
Em
Farseer_Emlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jul 2007, 17:35   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to Warning Label

so max armor pen is 12 for a sniper rifle? doesnt sound very good but i guess with 15 shots your bound to do some damage....
Old 21 Jul 2007, 17:47   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Yeah it can only max out at 12, but for being anti-infantry weapons that's not too bad I'd only take shots at a vehicle if it was one of the only options left, or if you have line of sight to the back of a predator or leman russ or something.
Old 21 Jul 2007, 18:09   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

My brother is frustrated because after having poured innumerable sniper rounds into my marauding Dreadnoughts over the course of several games, he still hasn't managed to inflict a single glancing hit. It's just one of those times chance has been against him. Statisically he should have inflicted several by now. ^-^

In short, don't expect sniper rifles to damage vehicles. Use them in such a manner only as a last resort.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jul 2007, 18:13   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

I've blown up a Dreadnaught and two rhinos with Sniper Rifles and my Brothers Eldar Pathfinders downed a Landspeeder recently. It can happen but the chances are certainly against you, using sniper rifles against vehicles is just generall not a very good thing to attempt with them unless you really have nothing better to shoot at.

Vash113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jul 2007, 18:27   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

One more thing, Sniper Rifles are really good against Monstrous Creatures or other high Toughness models. Vehicles are iffy. Your average Strength is going to be a 6. That's not stellar by any means. Use Sniper Rifles against swarms of low Ld troops (to pin them) or against MC's. But I'd avoid tossing them against vehicles or counting on them to bring down vehicles at all.
Farseer_Emlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jul 2007, 21:24   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Though if say you're fighting orks, shooting the buggies instead of the green horde will probably be more useful. If the sniper rounds are against AV 10 its a pretty decent chance.

War is great! Well, except for that dying part ...
BeserkWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jul 2007, 21:30   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
One more thing, Sniper Rifles are really good against Monstrous Creatures or other high Toughness models. Vehicles are iffy. Your average Strength is going to be a 6. That's not stellar by any means. Use Sniper Rifles against swarms of low Ld troops (to pin them) or against MC's. But I'd avoid tossing them against vehicles or counting on them to bring down vehicles at all.
I agree, i've killed many a wraithlord with sniper fire. I've also taken out a few vehicles with them too against lower armoured foes, mainly AV 10, Vypers and War walkers etc. I take a squad of ten and focus on infantry but if there's nothing else to fire at it's always fun taking pot shots at vehicles.

bluenose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jul 2007, 21:55   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Yup, snipers against MC and most leader units is really helpful, since they always wound on fours...just gotta make sure they fail their armor save, but with 15 sniper rounds, I don't see them passing every single one.

Aose is offline   Reply With Quote