Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Dark Angels Razorback - too good not to take?
Old 20 Jul 2007, 21:36   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Dark Angels Razorback - too good not to take?

Semi-recent DA player here (since new codex)... I have mostly a deathraven build-out focusing more on termies than bikes (just love the models). Having bought a battleforce and the army box, I decided to order a razorback sprue from GW direct (great investment at $7).

So to the point, the base cost for a razorback is frankly awesome (check the 'dex if you need the points cost). With the inclusion of smoke and lights, is the TL HB razorback almost a no-brainer (especially considering you can now buy this even for a ten man squad due to combat squad rules)? It seems like a mobile TL HB platform that requires a strength 5 weapon to glance (in front anyway) is a great value for the points cost. And hey, if it becomes a fire magnet that means some decent strength weaponry that is not focused on the rest of your army.

Why would you not pick up at least two to go with your two troops choices, regardless of the size of squad you are running or even whether you are running a mech list?

I am thinking about running at least one of these guys with my vet squad to add some nice covering fire for the termies as they deep strike in (and maybe a second with my devie squad).

BTW I do not think adding the extra armor or even going to TL las is worth the points. But, any comparisons between a basic las predator and the las razorback are more than welcome.
RebelTau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jul 2007, 22:53   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Dark Angels Razorback - too good not to take?

I would rather have a Predator personally, it's a little bit more expensive, but you do get two extra las or heavy bolter shots and the two extra armor (which has come in handy numerous of times).

If you have the points, get a Predator...however, if you are running low on points and you need some armored firing support, I don't see why you shouldn't get one.

Now that I look at the codex...with the new DA combat squads rule, two of them might be pretty effective...once you break down a tactical squad and load both of them up.

Aose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jul 2007, 22:55   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

You can't take two Razorbacks for a single Tactical Squad, though, even if you are using Combat Squads. So one of them would have to be on foot while the other rode.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jul 2007, 01:01   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Oh yeah good point...well you could put the heavy weapon in the squad on the ground and keep them back awhile it moves up and deploys the other squad.

Aose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jul 2007, 11:44   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Up until the current Dark Angels codex I was not a fan of the razorback. Cost too much for what it did, could only be bought for a almost minimum sized squad, weak armor.

Now that its so much cheaper, and that I can split the squads that I have to buy it for, I'm actually getting ready to acquire 4 or so of them. All heavy bolters to keep the points down, all used strictly for the 5 men without the heavy....
Old 21 Jul 2007, 14:53   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Howl
You and I are thinking similar thoughts! And yes, I know that 1 squad = 1 transport. The initial post mentioned taking two transports for two squads total - not two each. The beauty is that you can have a ten man tac squad with las, combat squaded and supported by a mobile TL HB platform, effectively a "mini" dev squad.

Any thoughts on whether the storm bolter upgrade is worth it? Seems like those 2 extra shots would be...
RebelTau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jul 2007, 16:52   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

The storm bolter is one more weapon to be destroyed, so it will stall the destruction of the vehicle if it starts taking hits. For the heavy bolter razorback I can see it being worth it, shooting five shots and still moving can't be a bad thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by runer60000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead
I believe so, I get mine at Walgreen's for around $7. Brake Fluid works too (Pine Sol Works on metals, not so well on plastics), but I prefer the spraycanniness of the Easy Off. Spray it (Wear gloves, it's important), let it sit, and take a toothbrush to it later.
so what your saying is that oven cleaner can remove paint from plastic models? and after that, you take a toothbrush to your plastic model, and the paint just comes off?
Gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jul 2007, 20:18   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

I think the Dark Angels Razorback makes the army an excellent candidate for a heavily mechanized approach. I mean it would be possible to take a few 10 man squads with lascannons and either a plasma or melta, have the half with the lascannons hang back whil the other half hop a ride in the razorback. Toss in a Master, a Predator or two and maybe some assault backup and you have yourself an army!
I'd hate to get on his bad side... >
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiwaz
Fishy has just proved to me that Canadians CAN be scary...
Fish Ead is offline   Reply With Quote