Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Victory! (Short BatRep: Dark Angels vs. Khorne Daemon army)
Old 20 Jul 2007, 04:46   #1 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Victory! (Short BatRep: Dark Angels vs. Khorne Daemon army)

So, I finally scored a victory with my Ravenwing. :funny:

I took about the same list as last time. Sammael of course, support by two full Attack Squadrons and a unit of Deathwing. There was also a Chaplain on a bike. I made sure to add in Power Fists for the Veteran Sergeants this time, and it really paid off.

My opponent had a Bloodthirster, three units of Bloodletters, a unit of Flesh Hounds, a Defiler, and a unit of bikes with a champion. Oh, and a Dreadnought there was, kitted for close-combat work.

We were playing Secure and Control with a full five counters. We never rolled for it, but we were basically playing Gamma. I rolled high and elected to go second.

[hr]

First turn, he took out half of one squadron with the Defiler. His Dreadnought went crazy and ran after the half-strength bike unit, falling short of charge range and popping smoke.

During my turn, I wasted most of his bikers with the combined firepower of two Land Speeders and Sammael. The Melta Gun in the Attack Squadron saw off his Dreadnought.

[hr]

Second turn, he managed to bring on two units of Bloodletters, the Flesh Hounds, and the Bloodthirster. The Bloodthirster went off after the half-strength Bike Squadron while the other Daemons managed to scatter very close to my other Attack Squadron. The Flesh Hounds made it into combat, but the Bloodletters screwed up their terrain test and had to wait. The surviving bikes killed one of my Land Speeders. The Defiler missed. Close Combat saw off one or two bikes, and one or two Flesh Hounds.

In my turn, the surviving bikers ran up and took two wounds off of the Bloodthirster with Plasma and Melta guns. I was very pleased. My attack bikes killed the Defiler with Multi-meltas. The Deathwing had arrived that turn, so they and Sammael (and the surviving Speeder) started taking wounds off of the Bloodletters. Sammael decided to charge in, and was promptly cut to pieces without accomplishing much. The bikes charged the Bloodthirster, who actually only killed two but saw the last off due to the Ravenwing losing combat and being Fearless.

[hr]

Third turn, the Bloodletters charged into the Chaplain's Squadron, which was now losing members rather quickly. They were definitely taking a lot with them, however. The Chaplain saw off the Flesh Hounds. The Bloodthirster flew over and charged the Deathwing. He completely choked, however, killing only one of them. The return attacks from two Chainfists, a Thunder Hammer, and a pair of Lightning Claws wiped him off the table. The Chaplain continued fighting Bloodletters, killing many but gradually losing wounds.

The Attack Bikes turbo-boosted over to secure two of the five objectives.

[hr]

His last unit of Bloodletters showed up at this point, charging and killing one of the attack bikes. His last biker, who I had foolishly ignored in order to kill the bloodletters, served as the icon for this. The Chaplain finally bought it, leaving only four Bloodletters from one unit and one from the other unit alive.

They were promptly destroyed by the Landspeeder and Instability, respectively.

So at the end of the game, he had one full unit of Bloodletters holding one objective, while I had an attack bike holding one, the Landspeeder holding another, and the Terminators holding a third. He had no units left on the table aside from the Bloodletters that arrived late.

[hr]

So from this game, I learned that Power Fists are indeed essential for Ravenwing Squadrons. But that was about it. I think I played pretty well, but my opponent alternated between being very lucky (all of his Deep-Strike rolls scattered him right towards me) and very unlucky (he couldn't hit or wound much with any of his Bloodletters or the Bloodthirster). I rolled extremely well for everyone except for Sammael. The Chaplain and the Veteran Sergeant in his unit both fought like heroes before the Daemons brought them down. And the surviving Land Speeder probably destroyed at least a full unit of Bloodletters all by itself. This was also the first time I used the Ravenwing Banner correctly (forgot about the extra attack before), which definitely helped out a lot.

I would say that my opponent played a little too conservatively for Khorne. If I had been him, I would have turbo-boosted all of the bikes forward immediately (he only moved about 6" for some reason), and then sent the Bloodthirster against the Chaplain's unit instead of the under-strength unit off on the board edge. I would also have kept the Defiler someplace where it could be protected. As it was, it stood no chance at all against two Attack Bikes with Multi-meltas. He played well, but the dice gods abandoned him when he needed them the most.

Edit: After reviewing his list, I am almost certain he was playing over 1,500, though. I will have to ask him about it next week.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jul 2007, 05:10   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Victory! (Short BatRep: Dark Angels vs. Khorne Daemon army)

So powerfist are really that good? Hmm...I guess I'll have to give him one once I get my ravenwing box.

What did you include in your squad of terminators? (How many claws/fists etc)

Aose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jul 2007, 05:22   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aose
So powerfist are really that good? Hmm...I guess I'll have to give him one once I get my ravenwing box.
They really do help. About the worst thing for Ravenwing is to get stuck in close-combat. They need to hit, kill their target, and get out before they can be overwhelmed by other enemies nearby. With Strength 4, this can be fairly difficult against other Marines and Necrons, let alone big beasties like Daemons and Carnifi. The Power Fist gets around that nicely. It also gives you the ability to sneak in and pound the crap out of vehicles should the opportunity arise. So it is mostly about reliability, something I just wasn't getting with the Power Sword.

I do think it looks a little silly to be controlling a bike with a big Lobster claw on one hand, though, so I just model the Power Fist as unequipped, chained to the bike with his other luggage.

Quote:
What did you include in your squad of terminators? (How many claws/fists etc)
I use one Assault Cannon/Chainfist, one Thunder Hammer/Storm Shield, one pair of Lighting Claws, one Storm Bolter/Chainfist, and one Storm Bolter/Power Sword. This makes it a jack-of-all-trades Terminator unit, something the Deathwing are set up to do more than most other Marines. Not sure if it is the most efficient way to use them, but I have been happy with it so far. The Assault Cannon is really the only thing that needs to be in there for shooting, and they still have a nice set of close-combat attacks. I don't like including multiple hammers since their effects don't stack.
Old 21 Jul 2007, 14:26   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

That seems like a stable list but how has it worked for cleanse missions?

No Pity No Remorse No Fear
[hr]
"All we see or seem is but a dream within a dream."-Edgar Allen Poe
[hr]
[quote=Earring (Busy Destroying the World)]
Don't worry too much...remember...females can smell fear
Malchior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jul 2007, 17:07   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methelas
That seems like a stable list but how has it worked for cleanse missions?
I don't really know yet. I have only gotten in one Cleanse mission with it. It has the advantage of being able to contest Table Quarters very easily. Each Attack Squadron is always three scoring units, and can be further split up. So the Attack Bikes along can contest two quadrants, and they can move 24" in the last turn to do so. Same thing with the Land Speeders or Sammael.

So the strategy would be to try to keep the battle in one or two quadrants, using the Speeders to assassinate small units in the other two. Then, move fast units to the remaining quadrants in the last turn, likely leaving two contested and two in my hands. And that is assuming that I won't be able to inflict enough damage with the Deathwing and the Chaplain's squadron to push them out of the others.
Old 21 Jul 2007, 18:06   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

A nice victory for the Ravenwing Khanaris. I'm curious though are you finding the fewer number of models in your army a problem or is your speed and hitting power enough to compensate?

Vash113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jul 2007, 04:02   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash113
A nice victory for the Ravenwing Khanaris. I'm curious though are you finding the fewer number of models in your army a problem or is your speed and hitting power enough to compensate?
Well, against a Daemon bomb army with a Bloodthirster, I wasn't all that outnumbered. If he had not been significantly over 1,500, I don't think it would have been as close as it was.

In this game, what really did him in was the lack of ranged attack. Without the Defiler, all that was shooting at me was the bolters on the bikes and possibly the Dreadnought had it lived. He had no way of taking down the Speeders, and they could pretty easily wipe out the Bloodletters unopposed. I really don't think much of Daemon bomb armies. If they don't work on the turn they arrive, they are pretty much screwed. If I hadn't rolled poorly on partials for Sammael's first Plasma Cannon shot, he would have probably lost his both of his icons before any of the Bloodletters ever showed up. And even if I didn't, he got really lucky on their scatter rolls. If he hadn't, he would have spent the entire game walking slowly towards bike Squadrons as they cut him to ribbons. So I would say they are among the weakest armies to play against something like a Multiwing.