Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Would you think badly of me if I fielded 3 Whirlwinds?
Old 15 Jul 2007, 16:04   #1 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Would you think badly of me if I fielded 3 Whirlwinds?

So I am looking into how to fill up my Dark Angels lists. To date, I have not used any Heavy Support with them. The preponderance of Chainfists and Melta weapons in the rest of the army means that killing tanks is neither difficult nor important.

But I am having some trouble getting things out of cover. Ravenwing are no good at it, and the army is too small to deal with things like Guard or Tyranids that can swarm over it. So I need a weapon that can wipe out GEQs quickly and efficiently. More importantly, I need something that can force the enemy to come to me. Ravenwing are fast enough that the temptation is to take the fight to your opponent's deployment zone every game. But they are much more effective when they enemy can be induced to spread out a little. To that end, Ordnance seems like just the thing.

The rest of the army:

Sammael
Chaplain on Bike
2 x full Attack Squadrons
2 x Deathwing squads.

Three unloaded Whirlwinds would cost me the same as one of those Deathwing units, making them trivial to swap out.

And before anyone asks, I really can't (and don't want to) add much more in the way of infantry.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jul 2007, 16:14   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Would you think badly of me if I fielded 3 Whirlwinds?

I wouldn't care much. It's not like it's unbeatable. A couple Lictors and bye-bye Whirlwinds. >
Droids_Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jul 2007, 17:07   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

I think its a good plan. I might mutter some obscenities when you put them on the table ( :P) but I do think it complements you existing force well. I really think it would really throw people off when your attack squadrons don't immediately rush forward and they are getting pounded by ordinance. Actually, I really like this idea, you're a crafty one Khanaris.
Cadaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jul 2007, 20:56   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I would breath a sight of relief if, all there was were 3 whirlwinds, but thats just me.
Old 15 Jul 2007, 21:28   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenelyn
I would breath a sight of relief if, all there was were 3 whirlwinds, but thats just me.
What do you mean? As opposed to a mix of Predators and Devastators?
Old 16 Jul 2007, 01:09   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Whirlwinds are the bane of the Imperial Guard. For such a purpose I can think of no finer weapon available to the Space Marines than a Whirlwind or three operating behind a wall of fast moving units. I'm not sure it really fits with a Ravenwing army, but it would certainly be effective. Against IG, pretty much the only thing you need to be wary of is deep striking units...and they arrive in one approximately pie-plate sized cluster. >
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jul 2007, 01:22   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khanaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenelyn
What do you mean? As opposed to a mix of Predators and Devastators?
Playing blood angels, those aren't effective after the 1st turn, not to mention dead the 2nd when my attack bikes are done with them. A land Raider charging me to keep me form reaching enemy lines or perhaps 8 missiles launchers staring me down worries me more.
Old 16 Jul 2007, 01:31   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

I can see your point. Dark Angels Whirlwinds really aren't all that useful against MEq armies, except as a psychological weapon. But if you sent things like attack bikes against them, you would sort of be playing into my hands. I can afford to burn a few HS support slots to spread your army out. That lets the Attack Squadrons do their work. I really don't like Land Raiders much any more. For as expensive as they are, they just don't hold up so well. And when a single penetrating hit can dump and pin 250+ points of Deathwing, I am inclined to leave it on the shelf. If I was building an army to fight marines, I probably would use another Deathwing unit instead.
Old 16 Jul 2007, 14:35   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to 33rd Sirican Redbacks

I actually like the castellan Mines they allow you to make some places a no go zone for most enemies, as most players will try and avoid the mines allowing you to funnel them and out manuevere your enemies, this works great on Nids (Evil Laugh).
Old 17 Jul 2007, 16:56   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I don't think Whirlwinds have any place in an attack bike list, they just don't fit together. Your list is built around rapid deployment troops so how would the Whirlwinds have even kept up? All said from a purely fluff minded perspective.

Will the units work well together, absolutely! Frankly a list like that would beat me to a pulp without really trying.

In closing, "Would you think badly of me if I fielded 3 Whirlwinds?", nah. You play to win and I wont hold it against you. ;D
Also, after the game, find his mini case and dump the contents into a grinder/shredder and then put what's left into a shaker. It goes great on pasta, pizza, nachos, etc., just like all other forms of cheese. - xShaperx
Morgue is offline   Reply With Quote