Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Question about Land Raiders
Old 15 Jul 2007, 02:04   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to InsanitysFall
Default Question about Land Raiders

well last night after one one of my games two of the club vets decided to play a game and there was a huge argument concerning land raiders.

the question is: if a land raider is purchased as a dedicated transport for terminators/HQ choice does it still occupy a Heavy Support force org slot?

one of the guys said it didn't because it is purchased as a transport so therefore doesn't occupy a force org slot.

but the other guy seems to think that it should because it's written up in the HS part of the codex whereas rhinos and razorback's etc are written up in the transport section. and also because when reading about the land raider transport option it points you to the heavy support selection.

now i was just curious as to what you guys think.

because i have only just started playing marines (only had 2 games so far. 1 with a land raider) and i was sure that even tho i had it transporting my HQ it still had to take up a slot of its own.

to me it just seems unfair that if someone is willing to pay the points they can have for example 3-4 land raiders with termi's or whatever else and THEN 3 seperate heavy support slots.

anyway, they are calling GW on monday to find out but i'd just like to see how everyone else has been playing it
Old 15 Jul 2007, 02:12   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Question about Land Raiders

Land Raiders take up a HS slot, but are not dedicated trasports.

Quote:
Originally Posted by runer60000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead
I believe so, I get mine at Walgreen's for around $7. Brake Fluid works too (Pine Sol Works on metals, not so well on plastics), but I prefer the spraycanniness of the Easy Off. Spray it (Wear gloves, it's important), let it sit, and take a toothbrush to it later.
so what your saying is that oven cleaner can remove paint from plastic models? and after that, you take a toothbrush to your plastic model, and the paint just comes off?
Gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jul 2007, 02:53   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

I don't have the codex right next to me but I think it states it pretty plainly what are dedicated transports and what are not. The land raider is not and takes up a heavy support slot. *runs to go find codex*

Ok, I was slightly off. The Land Raider can be a dedicated transport for terminators but it still takes up HS slot. I can see where they made the assumption as some of the wording for the rules could be taken out of context.
Cadaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jul 2007, 03:05   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to InsanitysFall

I think the reason its so confusing is because there is the land raider transport option for the squads.

To me it seems fairly simple that if its listed in the HS section of the codex its obviously a HS slot whether you're using it for transport or not
Old 15 Jul 2007, 20:57   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

I'm pretty sure the rule means this; The land raider will take up a heavy support slot, but because it's a transport it will be deployed in turn with it's squad, and not first as heavy slots usually are. Comprend?

bluenose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jul 2007, 22:39   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

I don't know where you guys are getting this, but if the codex says Termies may select a Land Raider as a transport option, then it's a transport option, not a Heavy Support choice. If I recall correctly, it even says that Land Raiders selected as transport options still count as scoring units because they are such formidable vehicles in their own right. The fact that they are available as heavy support choices just means you may take them as heavy support also. This may seem unfair to you for the reasons InsanitysFall provided, but if an army is fielding three Land Raiders as transport options then to do so they must also have squads attached. With the heavy support slots filled up also, they've committed a hell of a lot of points to only a few units. Count the number of vehicles your opponent fields in this manner, then count the number of AT weapons in your army and you'll soon see that this is no advantage. It'd take a damn fool to entrust the vast majority of his points allocation to only three vehicles and their passengers, even a vehicle as tough as the Land Raider.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jul 2007, 07:17   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to titankiller

Land Raiders (or Land Raider Crusaders, if you play Black Templars) don&#39;t take up a heavy slot if bought through a transport option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codex: Space Marines, pg. 35, italicized paragraph at the top of the page
Certain Space Marine units have the option of selecting a transport vehicle. These vehicles do not use up any additional force organization chart selections, but otherwise function as separate units....Land Raiders may be selected by some units as dedicated transports.
And there you have it. If you want, I can get you the page reference for Black Templars as well; says the exact same thing, with exception of "Land Raider" having "Crusader" added on to it.
Old 16 Jul 2007, 12:00   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by titankiller
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codex: Space Marines, pg. 35, italicized paragraph at the top of the page
Certain Space Marine units have the option of selecting a transport vehicle. These vehicles do not use up any additional force organization chart selections, but otherwise function as separate units....Land Raiders may be selected by some units as dedicated transports.
And there you have it. If you want, I can get you the page reference for Black Templars as well; says the exact same thing, with exception of "Land Raider" having "Crusader" added on to it.
You know, in spite of the fact that you posted a page number....I still checked my codex because I didn&#39;t believe you. :P

But now that I&#39;ve seen it...Oh, my, oh, my. Does anyone realize the implications of this? Wow. Firstly, of course, you could field 8 landraiders (2 HQ, 3 Elite, 3 Heavy). But, more importantly, the Landraiders selected as transports still count as scoring! Check out that entry on page 35. So you could easily turn 3 Elite scoring units into 6 elite scoring units. Wow, just wow. 8 Landraiders.
Farseer_Emlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jul 2007, 13:36   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Erm, don&#39;t 8 unadorned Landraiders, cost, oh, about 2000 points? 2000 points of Guard Heavy Weapons would eat that for breakfast. Right?

Still, if this was a fething huge battle, I can see where you&#39;re coming from. I, for one, would not bring nothing but Lascannons. Dang, this is like Armored Company... just scarier...
If you&#39;re feeling lucky, click here to get yourself mugged!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"No, you can&#39;t put a Lascannon there; the Machine God will have a tantrum and turn the universe inside out."

balistafreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jul 2007, 13:52   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Yeah, 8 landraiders would be huge points. I guess, I was thinking more of 3 landraiders and 3 whirlwinds...some combination like that. That could be very evil. But enough beardiness. :P
Farseer_Emlyn is offline   Reply With Quote