Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

What's better DA or Vanilla marines?
Old 12 Jul 2007, 18:56   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default What's better DA or Vanilla marines?

I've bought the new DA codex today, and was wondering if I should convert my vanilla marine army over to a successor chapter of DA. I like the new rules, but I'd like some input from DA vets before I do anything drastic.
-The Gran Galactic Inquisitor, Lord Bag Boy of the segmentums Obscurus, Ultima, Pacificus, Tempestus, and Solar, Hunter of the pious heretics, slayer of xenos friends, and demolisher of the daemonic entity that is Pokemon. Also Lord Inquisitor of the land of the knights who say Ni, and the chief torturer of Barney the foul, and the malignant cancer that is known as teletubies. Also The slayer of all those disagree with him, and some who agree, well all who agree, I should say the slayer of All who have the misfortune to know him. Your Lord Inquisitor Nick
Inquisitor_Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jul 2007, 19:24   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: What's better DA or Vanilla marines?

Better is an extremely subjective term. The general consensus from my reading of the Codex and the chatter I have heard on the boards is that the Angels are harder to optimize/powergame with. They tend to require more delicate strategy to succeed.

I, personally, have shifted my ~1500 points of SM over to a DA list. I think they are more interesting than Vanilla and their comparative lack of cheesability is something I find refreshing. Your mileage may vary.
Old 12 Jul 2007, 19:25   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

It depends on your play style.

I would go play a couple of games using my marines as DA successors and see how you like it. If you really like it then go for it. If not dont.

I personally dont like the DA Rules as much. I like to play as my DIY Chapter so I can focus on what I want and so I can use my own fluff.
The Sword 88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jul 2007, 19:41   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Better isn't the accurate question. No army is really "better" than any other. They all have their strengths and weaknesses.

However the Dark Angels is a newer codex than standard Vanilla marines and has a lot of nifty new things that the Space Marine codex does not have but it also has lost quite a few things. So it's really up to your personal tastes.

Vash113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jul 2007, 21:01   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

Dark Angels. More balanced, more "real" in terms of feel, awesome background, generally superior in every regard, save for if you want powergaming lists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jul 2007, 05:57   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

I love my Dark Angels, they may be a bit more expensive but they have alot of customization (for space marines atleast) and they always come equipt with grenades and sometimes pistols alongside their other weaponry.

The combat squad special rule is really nice, you get 5 spaces marines (90 points) for 75 points instead, OR you can use 5 marines as meatshields....that's what I do in my devastator squad so that I can take some hits before having to kill my heavy weapons.

The deathwing, well, they just rock, combine them with an interrorgater-chaplin in terminator armor...you can't go wrong.

Raven wing...with the new codex you get the option of having ravenwing, deathwing, and standard DA all in one army of any mix you want. Now, ravenwing have scout, so they move 12in before anyone else, then if you go first you move another 12in, so 24 inches on the first turn (if your lucky) then they assault 6, so thats 30inches before the enemy can do anything! But heres the kicker...every ravenwing bike has a teleport homer...so that means you can deepstrike HALF (rounding up) of your deathwing terminators IN THE FIRST TURN within 6in of any bike...so with that you just effectivley got a squad of terminators right infront of his face on the first turn.

DA are pretty tactical, but they arn't as bad as say eldar...they can take a beating and still give out a good ammount of punishment. If you use their special rules effectively the army is alot of fun and very powerful.

Hope this helps...and sorry if you knew all this stuff already lol.

Aose is offline   Reply With Quote