Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Index Astares: Stormbringers
Old 10 Jul 2007, 05:25   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Index Astares: Stormbringers

Origins:
The Stormbringers were initially founded as the Roan Hammers, a Chapter which used the geneseed of the Black Templar. While the first battle brothers were being assembled from various vassal-worlds of the Templar, survey for a suitable homeworld was undertaken; the founding of the Roan Hammers was rushed in many respects to bring more of the Adeptus Astares to the galactic south to meet the Tyranid threat. A world in proximity to the Hell Stars of the Caron Nebula was selected, but it was found to have been tainted by the Ruinous Powers. A weak mantle caused the world to sink and crumble into a molten sea upon the delivery of cleansing bombardment.

The first two-hundred Roan Hammer Marines then set out with their fledgling fleet, alongside a larger Black Templar force and a number of Imperial Guard regiments, and pushed deeper still into the Caron Nebula, towards the lost Forge World of Gryphonne IV. It was known that several systems had fallen to Orkoid predations, and a suitable candidate world was proposed upon the investigation of Imperial records.

In fact, the very first world upon which the Roan Hammers set foot would prove to be the perfect home for the Chapter, and one that they would fight bitterly for.

Homeworld:
Cyprium III was a world that had never seen the light of the Great Crusade. A world covered with towering mountains and frigid rivers, it's inhabitants mined and forged many great works but never comprehended the vastness of the Imperium around their cold world. When the Orks found Cyprium III, the Cyprians fought back with blackpowder weapons and succeeded in delaying the mighty green horde by preventing Ork movement through the few and treacherous mountain passes and steep canyons. They clung to a hope, however, told in prophecies from long ago, of a mighty race called the Stormbringers, who would turn the dull sky into pure light and save the Cyprians from doom.

Knowing little of the war below, the Roan Hammers and Black Templar nonetheless planned a precise drop-pod assault on the largest warband, coinciding with what auger-probes seemed to reveal to be a last, desperate attack by the unwitting humans on the planet.

As the pods screamed through the murky clouds and correcting retro-rockets fired, chemicals intermixed and the delicate balance of the sky was sundered. Acting as Adamantine lightning rods, the drop pods conjured a storm of incredible proportions, turning the drab heavens into a veil of thunder - lightning continues to flash between the mountains and the upper atmosphere to this very day.

Seeing this cataclysm, the people of Cyprium attacked the Ork horde in what would surely have been a suicidal bloodbath had not their prophesy been fufilled. For they did not fight alone; the hated greenskins were taken by surprise not only by ragged miners but also by towering colossi, gods of war who spat death and struck down their foes by tens and by hundreds. When the battle had ended, the work of the Order Dialogus rapidly began communications between the two parties and the eminent value of the culture was discovered.

The Liberation of Cyprium:

In the realization that they were acclaimed as saviours, the Roan Hammers consulted with the Techmarines and Chaplains of the Black Templar contingent. Upon establishing that it would not be an affront to either the Emperor or the Machine God, the heraldry of the Roan Hammers was altered to include a lightning bolt, and their name was altered to reflect their new role; Stormbringers of legend, Stormbringers of the wrath of the Imperium.

Of course, liberation of Cyprium III had been costly and the young Chapter was reduced to a scant 150 Marines; they were already in need of reinforcement. However, rather than lick their wounds, the Stormbringers set forth to free the entire system. They left instructions for their endlessly loyal Cyprians to carve them a home from the face of the greatest mountain on the planet, and left to put an end to the Xenos infestation. While the Templar fleet annihilated the Ork space presence in a masterful battle, the Stormbringers struck like lightning on the three other worlds; upon the airless rock of Cyprium I, through the lush jungle world of the second world in the system, and across the ammonia-ice floes of the furthest planet.

Only fifty brave Adeptus Astares returned to the world seemingly predestined to be their home. They were met with praise, and shown the glory of The Crag; a dizzying fifteen kilometers high, the miners had carved a granite citadel for their champions, in which the Chapter was raised to strength, and the lore of the Cyprians and prophesy of the Stormbringers own arrival was guarded.

Combat Doctrine:

Having little space to train with heavy vehicles, the Stormbringers largely the strategy which gave them their first victory to most battles; a blitzkrieg assault by drop pod, fighting back to back and without the comfort of armoured beasts of burden to protect them.

However, the other worlds in the system provide oportunities for training with other media of war; on Cyprium I, vehicles kick up dust clouds which remain for days in the minimal gravity, while on the icy barrons of Cyprium IV the Company given the name "Stormriders" skids and swoops over the seas of frigid poison.

Organization:

The Stormbringers honour the Codex Astares in many aspects of their recruitment, and adhere to the formula of the Tactical Squad of ten Marines more rigidly than even such Chapters as the Ultramarines; the Roan Hammers would have been overwhelmed had they deployed in smaller numbers during their first drop, and the knowledge of the miner on mountaineer teaches them grimly; failure to stay together as a team is Death.

Beliefs:

The Cyprians revere the Stormbringers, and the Space Marines do not take this as aloofly as a prouder Chapter might. The Stormbringers spend a great deal of time among their scions, and the coming-of-age rituals in Cyprian culture now double as selection process for recruitment. Each year, males of sixteen years must complete the Test of Swiftness, crossing a mountain pass on foot with little gear; the Test of Strength in which they must hunt and slay a Frostbat, a vicious furred drake; and the test of Skill in which the aspirants must craft for themselves a sword, axe, or dagger in short order and make it still skillfully enough to pierce a suit of iron armour without blemish.

The Stormbringers watch the trials closely, and the most promising youths are taken to The Crag for further testing; those that fail the medical and psychological trials return home still as the finest of the men, but it is those who remain in the fortress-monastery who become greater than any man; they become Space Marines.

The Stormbringers are devout to the Emperor, as the Cyprians learned to be as Imperial clergy arrived upon the world. However, both human and Marine give lesser fealty to Muir, the local god of the earth; as miners curry favour that a cavern will not collapse as they take the world's treasure and leave sacrifice in the form of captured and slain mountain beasts, the Astares pray that the terrain will give them advantage in battle, and leave offering in the sundered corpses of their foes.

Battle Cry:

"Swift as the Emperor's Storm, sure as Muir's Earth!"

AuinMyrrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jul 2007, 08:27   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer
Default Re: Index Astares: Stormbringers

Very nice. Mind if I add these to the Index Astartes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jul 2007, 13:07   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
Very nice. Mind if I add these to the Index Astartes?
Thanks! I was just going to post a in the Thousand-Chapters thread, but I didn't get around to it for the same reason that any proofreading errors exist in the piece - trying to write in the wee hours of the morning is hard on the brain .

I really have to give you credit for motivating me to write this at all, with the new Thousand Chapters thread and your entry on the Grey Ravens; the latter was already on the second or third page when I got to reading it, though.
Old 11 Jul 2007, 00:43   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to captain_octavain

Very nice fluff it was a joy to read

I wish I could write fluff... at alllllll............
for preserving my rights
to live and die for this life
and paying the ultimate price for me to be...FREE!
captain_octavain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jul 2007, 00:46   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Far_Sh0t
Very nice fluff it was a joy to read

I wish I could write fluff... at alllllll............
Hey, stick with it. You should have seen the crap I wrote when I started 40k... *shudder*.
Old 11 Jul 2007, 21:13   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Wow one of the best DIY chapters I liked.
Old 12 Jul 2007, 06:48   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to Lowerlife

sounds like a fun army to play ;D are their army colors mostly brown and are you saying that in the desert planet and the ice planet they will use vehicles just its usually rare or did i get the whole story wrong
;D
just wondering ???

very good story i liked it alot ;D
Eidt by JD: I dunno how you managed to read it after the changes FT
Edit by AC: JD you've spelt edit incorrectly...
Edit by WG: I just wanted to be part of the moment.
someones got bad spelling
Lowerlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jul 2007, 23:11   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowerlife
sounds like a fun army to play ;D are their army colors mostly brown and are you saying that in the desert planet and the ice planet
The main colour is a maroon-brown, yes.

Like most Chapters, the Stormbringers use vehicles when appropriate - they simply prefer to use drop-pod assaults whenever possible.
Old 14 Jul 2007, 01:54   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via AIM to EOAdonis

Simply put, that was an outstanding background. I can really tell you put a lot of thought into it. Good job and good luck with them.

For thee, my Lord, for thee.

Power hath descended forth from Thy hand

Our feet may swiftly carry out Thy commands.

So we shall flow a river forth to Thee

And teeming with souls shall it ever be.

In Nomeni Patri Et Fili Spiritus Sancti."
EOAdonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jul 2007, 02:02   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by EOAdonis
Simply put, that was an outstanding background. I can really tell you put a lot of thought into it. Good job and good luck with them.
Thanks! I plan to make these guys into a real army, although I'll have to remove most of the Space Wolves bitz given my change in background material, and strip off some paint.