Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

DIY chapter idea.
Old 10 Jul 2007, 01:33   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to inuyasha1162
Default DIY chapter idea.

Hey. I was going to start a second space marine chapter which is...as the title says DIY.

The traits are as follows.(may sound weird)
-honor your wargear.
-see but don't be seen

drawbacks
-flesh over steel.
-die standing.

fluff ideas:
-experts in heavy weapons, the chapter loves to use big guns to destroy everyone.
-through extensive physical training(more so than any other chapter) they have learned to carry their weapons quickly.
-Able to take up any position.
-Main planet recently attacked by scourge of tyranids, but tyranids were successfully eradicated.
-Hate vehicles, from the noise, size, and they feel they are unreliable. Do not use vehicles of any sort.

I know I'm lame at fluff. just give me some time.

the colors were going to be earthy. Dark green, brown. Camo like (but not in camo.)
Possibly wear camo cloaks. (that's just for fun though...)

Anywho...
Any suggestions are appreciated. The idea sounds funny. Infiltrating devastators?
But my vision is kind of like... They set up fast and camp out of their enemy until opportune moments, then release a massive fire of attacks.

once again. all criticism, suggestions, comments. are welcome.
inuyasha1162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jul 2007, 01:50   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: DIY chapter idea.

Infiltrating squads of Heavy Bolter Devastator marines? Yes please!
Frogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jul 2007, 04:05   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

I think you really aughta flesh out your fluff a bit more. Especially with the rather unusual combination of heavy weaponry and infiltrating. When and why did they adopt this fighting style? Was it in the war against the tyranids? Some other battle? or is it just something picked up from the culture of whatever world they recruit from? The closest thing I can think of to this style of warfare is the Japanese at Iwo Jima. Lotta tunnels with a lot of concealed weapon emplacements. Perhaps the surface of your chapter's homeworld is inhospitable and the population lives underground. Because of this they could have access to tunnelers, which they can use before battle to set up their concealed heavy weapon positions.

However, I must caution you that the trait system was designed to be used in order to bring your idea of a chapter (ie. it's fluff) to life on the table and not to create some uber-powerful list of death which you then justify with fluff. I'm not trying to accuse you of anything, just cautioning you against a pitfall that can strike many DIY chapters in their infancy
I'd hate to get on his bad side... >
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiwaz
Fishy has just proved to me that Canadians CAN be scary...
Fish Ead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jul 2007, 15:09   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

It looks like a good start to me.

I like the idea of using bigs guns and no vehicles! I mean thats what I do.
The Sword 88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jul 2007, 15:35   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by inuyasha1162
Hey. I was going to start a second space marine chapter which is...as the title says DIY.

The traits are as follows.(may sound weird)
-honor your wargear.
-see but don't be seen

drawbacks
-flesh over steel.
-die standing.

fluff ideas:
-experts in heavy weapons, the chapter loves to use big guns to destroy everyone.
-through extensive physical training(more so than any other chapter) they have learned to carry their weapons quickly.
-Able to take up any position.
-Main planet recently attacked by scourge of tyranids, but tyranids were successfully eradicated.
-Hate vehicles, from the noise, size, and they feel they are unreliable. Do not use vehicles of any sort.

I know I'm lame at fluff. just give me some time.

the colors were going to be earthy. Dark green, brown. Camo like (but not in camo.)
Possibly wear camo cloaks. (that's just for fun though...)

Anywho...
Any suggestions are appreciated. The idea sounds funny. Infiltrating devastators?
But my vision is kind of like... They set up fast and camp out of their enemy until opportune moments, then release a massive fire of attacks.

once again. all criticism, suggestions, comments. are welcome.

Now, now let's see. I think I can give you some ideas, and perhaps help you to write some fluf for your chapter. I will take some stuff, and will improve on others. I really lke the ideas of devastators coming out of nowehrre and blast their enemis to kingdom come.

Well, from what you have said, I can say that you can use the reason that their geneseed (the muscle-enhancer thing, do not know what is the name) is mutated, and thus making them stronger than a usual space marines (slightly, not uber). This would explain why they can carry their heavy weapons faster than any normal marines.

As for the rest I can combine them up into something like this.......

The homeworld of (fill in the chapter's name) is a swamp world, thus rendering most vehicles useless, save the hardiest vehicles. However, another reason why they discard tanks is because of a tragic history of the chapter when they have to defend their homeworld from the cluthces of a tyranid invasion.

During the beginning of the Tyranid invasion on their homeworld, most of their vehicles are destroyed as the noise and the heat signature of the vehicles cause them to be easily spotted by the Tyranid horde. Many lives were lost during the battls in the swamp as a result of the marines not having any ample heavy support.The Space Marines, knowing well that the tyranid hordes are picking off their vehicles one by one, have to come up with a drastic move to survive the tyranid onslaught. Then one of their leaders suggested a plan which changed the entire course of the war.

Their homeworld is known for many human-sized fauna and comparable heat signatures. Thus the Marines adopt their heavy weapons team to take advantage of that and thus making them harder to spot by the tyranis horde. To further blend themselves into their environment, they painted their armour in the browns and the greens of the swamp, and wear cloaks of vegetation to hide amongst the watery swamps. And thus with this new tactic, they are able to sneak up upon the yranid horde where they least expected it and obliterate entire swarms at one time.

In addition, since the tyranid hordes have killed many of their battle brothers, they take a distinct liking to leave no trace of their enemy. Just like the horde ripped apart each one of their brehtens, so hey will rip the enemy asunder with their weapons. The tactic proved so effective that the tyranid horde were in chaos, as the heavy weapons team always pick out the synapse creatures first before they kill the rest of the swarm.With their tactics, they are able to destroy the Tyranid hodes after years of hard battle.

Thus from that fateful event, they put more emphasis on their Devastators squad as a result of their effectiveness and also as a reminder of those who have lost their lives in the name of their homeworld.

I hoped this helped you in your endeavour to crete the chapter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
crisis_vyper is offline   Reply With Quote