Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Dark Angels - Help with next purchase
Old 09 Jul 2007, 17:48   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to InsanitysFall
Default Dark Angels - Help with next purchase

Well i was just wondering what you guys think i should purchase next.

at the moment i have:

Azrael
Ezekiel
Asmodai
A Techmarine
3x 10 man tactical squads
1x 5 man tactical squad
3x 5 man scout squads
1x 5 man assault squad
1x 5 man veteran squad
3x 5 man combat squads
2 devastator squads
1x rhino
1 Land raider crusader

I am trying for a balanced CC/shooty army and something with versatility.

currently i was thinking along the lines of either a dreadnaught, some terminator squads or some ravenwing squads.

i am trying to stay away from either pure deathwing/ravenwing for the moment as i would like to get a feel for the army before i start going to extremes.

I like the idea of the ravenwing squad in combination with some terminators as they have teleport homers so it allows for precise deployment of my termies. But from what i have seen dreads can pack a lot of punch and beef up the CC factor of an army

Another thing that crossed my mind was getting some predators as they seem to have a bit more maneuverability than the devastator squads. As a former tau player i like the idea of being able to stay mobile as opposed to staying still. is there any suggestions for this?

but i guess really i'm just looking for some advice on what you guys think i'm lacking. i personally have a feeling i'm lacking maneuverability and i would prefer not having to rely on the 3+ armour saves to get across the battlefield
Old 09 Jul 2007, 18:36   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Dark Angels - Help with next purchase

Well.... lets see here.* Since you want more versatility and manoeuvrability I would start off with some Rhinos or Razorbacks (I like rhinos better, but thats my personal opinion).* Rhinos are cheap for DA and would definetly get the marines up there faster.* That Land Raider is just asking for some terminators in it.* Since it is a crusader, I would lean more towards assault terminators.* After that I would maybe add some more assault marines.* In my experience 5 man squads never do that well.* If you dont want more marines, I would go land speeders.* Speeders have tons of different lay outs you can use.* You can go mass Shooty, or tank hunter, etc.* They also can use some of your previous Tau tactics.* As for switching out your Devs for some Preds Im not to sure on.* Are your Dev squads full 10 man or just 5 with 4 heavies?
computerizedfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Jul 2007, 18:42   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

2x 5 man teams with 4 heavies each. or i could make a 10 man squad if i chose. i have a few other spare heavy weapons laying around.
Old 09 Jul 2007, 19:24   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

The five man squads seem to get shot up pretty fast. A pred might last longer than the small squads. I am going to assume that you will use the Pred for armor piercing and will suggest the TL Lascannon with HB sponsons. This config lets you move and still shoot all of your weapons. If you went with the Lascannon sponsons then you have to stay still and then you pretty much are back at your dev squad.
computerizedfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jul 2007, 16:43   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Thanks for the advice mate.

I'll take it all into consideration.

I actually got fairly much all of this army for $50. the only things i have bought separately is a SM battleforce so i think i got a fairly good deal and a great base for building my army from. it also means i have some room to be able to toy with a few units while considering what i am lacking. and means i don't have to use everything i have to be able to play a decent size battle.

So is there any other advice from anyone else? or did computerizedfish cover everything you were all thinking?

a friend of mine suggested i get a forgeworld dread with the 2 heavy weapons. but i think i'll leave that one till i have some more cash laying around :P

and oh yeah. money isn't really an issue at the moment so suggest as much or as little as you like
Old 11 Jul 2007, 07:54   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Terminators would go well with your Land Raider, however If I were you I would boost that assault squad and get a Chaplain with a jump pack. (Or a librarian tooled for CC in a jump pack)
Lord Bovine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jul 2007, 06:02   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

I would suggest getting two boxes of terminators (one of each), that will give you some nice choices, since you can mix and match them in a DA army.

If you dont like big expensive guys, buy a ravenwing box...pretty good pestering units and they rock when they are combined with the deathwing terminators (teleport homers).

Aose is offline   Reply With Quote